DirecTV Subscribers A must read

Options
thehaens@cox.net
thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
edited August 2010 in The Clubhouse
I was getting ready to purchase a Directv HD Receiver w/ Tivo from DirecTV. They are offering a 100.00 rebate off their 649.00 price. I didn't need the dish or installation. And they wouldn't discount the offer, so I went to ebay. I found a guy that was selling information to get one for 299.00 w/ the 100.00 rebate, effectively bringing the price down to 199.00. I used the BIN of $5.00. I was first thinking this was a scam, but he emailed me the instructions within 10 minutes, and I called and it actually worked. No kidding. I am stoked, and all this for 5.00. Anyway, if you are a DirecTV subscriber, (this offer is only good for existing subscribers in good standing), email me at twinturbo@cox.net. I will send you the information for FREE.

I get a lot of junk mail to this address. So put in the Subject line "DirecTV Offer". I am not at all affiliated with DirecTV or am in any way profiting from this, just trying to get the info out before this offer dry's up.

Scott
Post edited by thehaens@cox.net on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    You've got mail
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    e-mail sent.

RT1
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    In the interest of all this, please let me know if this offer is working for you and post back on the forum. If this offer expires I don't want to be passing bad info....

Scott
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,333
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Scott,
    I hate to tell you, but I would given you all the info for free. I was one of the first to report this deal at Satelliteguys and AVS. There are hundreds of posts at SatelliteGuys, Tivocommunity, and AVSforum. I haven't checked, but there are probably posts over at Fatwallet and Slickdeals by now.

There is no secret to this deal and people who are selling this info at Ebay are crooks.

Call DirecTV's customer retention at 1-800-600-8977 and tell them you are considering an HDTivo and want to know what kind of deals and/or credits you can get.

The deal comes in two forms.
    The first is to buy directly from D* for $299+$15 installation-$100 rebate. Final cost there is about $217 depending on tax in your area. The other option is to tell retention that you want credit to buy the HD Tivo from an authorized retailer. Most will get a $250 credit on their D* bill. You can then get the DVR from www.valueelectronics.com/avstc.htm for $549 with a $100 rebate. Net cost is $199 after all is said and done and it will come with a transferrable 5 year warranty.

Look around and you will find an appropriate forum for every hobby or interest. Polkaudio is great to discuss audio hobbies, but you need to get out and look around if you are interested is something else. I really don't think we need to start a long thread here to. There is so much out there already.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Look, is an appropriate forum for every hobby or interest.
    WTF?
  • billbillw
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    WTF?
    Caught me in a bad edit.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Bill, appreciate your feedback, I

1. Didn't know about this offer
    2. I don't frequent a lot of forums, polk is one of them that I do.
    3. Others may or may not frequent other forums. So I am passing this info to them as a "hook up" for those that are like me that don't go to other forums.
    4. I hardly think the $5 I spent for this information, constitutes the seller being a crook, it was money well spent IMO, if I could of got it for free elsewhere, so be it.

Scott
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    billbillw wrote:
    Scott,
    I hate to tell you, but I would given you all the info for free. I was one of the first to report this deal at Satelliteguys and AVS. There are hundreds of posts at SatelliteGuys, Tivocommunity, and AVSforum. .

Why didn't you post it here? Isn't the clubhouse a place to ramble on about whatever is on your mind?

sdh
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The is basically the only forum that I visit on any kind of consistent basis, so I'm glad when stuff like this gets posted here. I choose to spend what little time I do have online here on the Polk forum.

I wouldn't have found it if you had not posted it here Scott, so thanks.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, unfortunately, since I live in one of those private areas where a local company has control of my Direct TV I am SOL I might talk someone into the 549.00 less a hundred, but its still to much for me. But know 250 credit on my bill. Being privatized sucks in this instance.

RT1
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Scott,

Thanks for sharing this info; I just called and did not get into HD (not enough programming in my opinion to get into it)....but got a free DVR, which comes perfect.

Thanks!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I called Dish Network but got it for free as long as i upgraded to HD Programming for 10 bucks a month. i basically told them i was gonna switch to directtv if they didnt offer somthing good. And the Unit includes the off air to pick up local HD channels for free.

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    Scott,

Thanks for sharing this info; I just called and did not get into HD (not enough programming in my opinion to get into it)....but got a free DVR, which comes perfect.

Thanks!!!

HT

You are welcome, and although you didn't go the HD route, at least you got the DVR for FREE. Something good is coming out of this post. I can rest easy tonight :D

Lastly, I can assure you ONCE YOU GO HD, (or digital over the air), you will not go back to watching regular Standard Definition. Since getting HD in late 01' I have found my viewing habits has changed to only watching Digital or HD channels, over the air, or Satellite.......

There really isn't a substitue for watching Monday Night Football in HD

scott
  • billbillw
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Why didn't you post it here? Isn't the clubhouse a place to ramble on about whatever is on your mind?

sdh

I guess it is, but I talk enough at the other forums about this stuff and I figure most people who are interested in getting an HD Tivo will at least surf around a little to see what other users experiences are before dropping a fairly large chunk of money. If they went to any of the forums I mentioned, the deal will be smacking them in the face with 100+ postings on the subject. I have been following the prices, deals, speculations and everything related to the HD Tivo for 8 months before I finally bought it with this awesome deal.

If you or someone else had posted something like "I'm considering buying an HD Tivo", I would have jumped in and told you all about the HD Tivo, the best price around, the speculation on how DirecTV is transitioning to MPEG4 in the next 6 months, and how the HD Tivo is not compatible with MPEG4 and how DirecTV will supposedly swap out boxes for new MPEG4 receivers, etc, etc.

I just don't think we need to post here about "hot deals" because there are so many other places already talking about them. If I found a sale on Polk speakers or a new rebates deal, yes I would post it here.

I guess I'm just glad you found out about the deal before dropping $599 or more on one. But FWIW, I firmly believe that anyone selling any information that is freely available is a crook. If you Google the words HD Tivo, the second or third link talks about this deal.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Right on Bill, I have been pondering the buying of this particular unit ever since the FCC was talking about placing a broadcast flag on recording of HD content in DVR's. I have watched this come down from 1K when it came out to 549.00 now. If I would of known about the other forums or the deal earlier I would of jumped on it. I was told that if you got a HD DVR before this implementation, then you would be grandfathered in to recording the content, as the older DVR's don't have the chip in them

Scott
  • billbillw
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Lastly, I can assure you ONCE YOU GO HD, (or digital over the air), you will not go back to watching regular Standard Definition. Since getting HD in late 01' I have found my viewing habits has changed to only watching Digital or HD channels, over the air, or Satellite.......

There really isn't a substitue for watching Monday Night Football in HD

scott

Totally agree. I probably only watch a dozen or so channels now. There are probably only two or three non-HD channels that I watch.
  • billbillw
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Right on Bill, I have been pondering the buying of this particular unit ever since the FCC was talking about placing a broadcast flag on recording of HD content in DVR's. I have watched this come down from 1K when it came out to 549.00 now. If I would of known about the other forums or the deal earlier I would of jumped on it. I was told that if you got a HD DVR before this implementation, then you would be grandfathered in to recording the content, as the older DVR's don't have the chip in them

Scott
    I thought it was the broadcasters who wanted the Flag, but the FCC ruled against it. Guess it was the courts who threw it out. Either way, it shouldn't be a concern now.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    billbillw wrote:
    Either way, it shouldn't be a concern now.

It isn't over yet, if Hollywood get's their way at least. I am going to pick up a couple of these if I can. I'll call them again next week, and see if I can get another one for 199.00. I didn't want to push it when I was on the phone as I was in disbelief. One of my co-workers is convinced it is a scam and the number I called was someone that is going to come to my house and rob me :D
  • billbillw
    edited August 2005
    Options
    It isn't over yet, if Hollywood get's their way at least. I am going to pick up a couple of these if I can. I'll call them again next week, and see if I can get another one for 199.00. I didn't want to push it when I was on the phone as I was in disbelief. One of my co-workers is convinced it is a scam and the number I called was someone that is going to come to my house and rob me :D

The deal is only good for one HD Tivo. After that, its full price. The rebate is definetly only good for one DVR, whether it is the HD Tivo or the SD Tivo (R10). Only one rebate per household.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Oh well, at least I got one at an astounding price.....
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ....One of my co-workers is convinced it is a scam and the number I called was someone that is going to come to my house and rob me :D

hell....they are coming to install the DVR Saturday..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    hell....they are coming to install the DVR Saturday..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a Sunday install, if you get robbed PM me and I'll cancel.. :p
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have a Sunday install, if you get robbed PM me and I'll cancel.. :p

.....nooooooo...will just sit here and wait for you to get it.....if it weren't for you I would have not gotten this "deal".. :D:D

SOPA
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    .....nooooooo...will just sit here and wait for you to get it.....if it weren't for you I would have not gotten this "deal".. :D:D

Noted
    keep finger on the trigger...check credentials, and ensure the rest of the family is out of the house...
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Some people have gotten more than one.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2005
    Options
    You got mail :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I ordered mine on Sunday and is going to be installed on Saturday. I sold my Samsung HD 360 reciever on Ebay for 175. So 25 bucks out of pocket. Also DTV gave me 6 months of HBO and Showtime for 2 bucks, HD free for 3 months and 5 bucks off my bill for 12 months. I usually call once a year and keep getting these credits.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • Ricardo
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Scott,

DVR installed and didn't need to use my gun :):)

Thanks again for sharing !!!

SOPA
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Ricardo

Not a problem, mine is coming tomorrow between 1 and 5 PST. Should have the first recording finished by 7 PST...

Scott
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited August 2005
    Options
    had mine installed on Saturday the 27th, installer was lazy and didnt want to do the install for a number of reasons, first DTV installer didnt ground it so he couldnt work on it, dish was on top of house, wires would be hard to run since i need a 4th cable in. Excuse after excuse. i told him just drop the cable in and i would do the rest. I hooked everything up for him and did the wire management myself. Then he proceeded to tell me how much customers tip him as if i was going to give him money. He did mention that he only got 50 bucks for the install which took him 2.5 hrs. Other than that the TIVO unit is pretty nice, not as fast as SD Tivo but still nice.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18