Got a new project!!! I mean truck...

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Man. That sounds like a pain.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    it's not that bad - due to improved fuel injection and oiling, bad plugs caused by fouling and such are very rare. the "life" of a plug is extended to more around what's reccomended (3 - 4 years like on the packaging rather than the 1 1/2 to 2 years that i'd normally get out of a good set of plugs in a "older" mopar motor).

it's more work, yes, but it also keeps the plugs away from the exhaust manifolds which decreases plug temperature slightly - also a good thing.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    I change em every 30,000 miles along with a transmission service. MY dealer will do the plugs for $80 and I dont have a problem springing for this in order to spare me the hassle and blood pressure rise.

The tranny service is $120 but I will trust it to noone else but a Dodge dealer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    The tranny service is $120 but I will trust it to noone else but a Dodge dealer.

I wouldn't trust a dealer to change my air filter let alone service my transmission. I've got a mechanic at a local Firestone that I trust with my life - used to be at Pep Boys, and I changed shops just to follow him. only a few bucks less than a dealer, but I don't have to drive home wondering what he may have broken while doing the job.

Only bad part about a dealer doing your plugs versus a shop or yourself is that you don't get to pick the plugs you want.

The 3.9 six, 318's, and 360's were notorious for killing plugs - or should I more properly say, they were notorious for being picky as to what plug worked best and what just made it run like a dog. Only plugs I trusted in there were Champion Truck Plugs. There was actually a TSB put out, and then recalled due to it being "bias" (as an OEM you can't insist that a certain brand plug be used unless it is the actual OEM plug or your own OEM brand plug). While Champion is used as Mopar OEM, they're the copper plain janes... the gold truck plugs are not oem equipment. anywho - it stated that the Champion TP was found to be the most reliable and sure fire plug for those particular motors and that Chrysler did strongly reccomend that all plug changes use those plugs, and that even new vehicles that may have rough idle or poor response be replaced with those plugs to try and rectify issues.

Bosch platinum singles (not the split fire or the quad fire hokey pokey) were decent, not as good IMHO as the Champions, but after everybody stopped carrying Champion around here, I had to find something else I could live with.

In the caddy I've got Champion standard Gold's, and the lil 3.7 in my 03 has the Bosch single point platinums as well until I can find a better plug, Champion didn't make a plug for it that I liked when I last checked. I'd like to try some Truck Plugs (which I actually found I can buy online now), but I don't know if that'd be suited well for the motor -- it's a different animal, I've gotta do some more research.

While plugs may seem simple "a plug is a plug" - they're not. Different MFG's use different cores which result in different interatcion with the motor. If the cores were the same, then I would agree with the statement "a gold is a gold, and a platinum plug is a platinum plug" -- but you can put all the damn platinum you want on a plug with a **** core or (more appropriately said) a "core that does not suit the needs of your particular motor" and it won't do any damn good.

I've gotten way too anal with this stuff, but then when people ask me why it's below freezing outside and the roads are covered in ice, and most people can barely get their **** to crank over let alone run and handle well, how I'm motoring along just fine, I've got nothing to thank for it except for properly chosen quality fluids in the drivetrain, good seals and gaskets, well chosen coils / wires / plugs, etc etc etc. I break down - not often though. And it's usually when I just recently get a vehicle and am finding out what it's problem areas are - once corrected they don't come back (this f'ing starter isn't going to haunt me anymore either - i put a home made skid plate under there so **** can't get up in there and wack the wires loose - i had 2 starters "die" because the terminals where the positive and solenoid trigger wires go are on the very bottom of the starter and cuz its 2wd its low to the ground and they get whacked if i hit a bump or pot hole and there's **** in the road - knocks the whole plastic mounty tab stuff off and smashes the connection).

I think a set of edelbrock IAS shocks would be nice too - this thing handles like a brick on wheels - it's smaller than my previous trucks so I don't understand why. trucks all handle "crappy" - but this thing has got a TON of body roll.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    The main reason I trust the dealer more is that if I take it to Joes Garage, this may be the 3 Ram tranny he's worked on this month whereas if I take it to Prebul Dodge, itll likely be the 3 tranny he's worked on today. A Dodge dealer will have much more experience and expertise on my truck than a jack of all trades.

I believe about plugs kinda like I believe about amps. As long as youre buying from a quality manufacturer, youll be fine. NGK plugs are whats used OEM and Im confident theyre as good a quality as Champions, especially since they only have to last 30,000 miles then they get retired.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    NGK is a very good plug, I didn't know those were oem though... i thought they were still using **** ball copper champs.

NGK's are both expensive and durable... nice stuff.

My truck had autolites in it when i got it off demo.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I may be mistaken, like I said Ive never replaced my plugs in this truck.

But Im 99% sure the ones in my '00 Ram were NGK as did my Nissan Frontier and Suzuki Samurai that I owned previously.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    you're probably right - the idiot who had it before me screwed with a bunch of things - didn't do anything right. when i got it - it looked like a monkey on acid put the fog light kit in and the tail light cover trim thingies where half falling off because you could literally tell he didn't wipe the lens down with alcohol before applying the double sticky tape - it had goobers all over the side of the tape that was supposed to be "sticking" to the lens. he decided to put "cool" tires on it - although i dont think a truck with 17" rims and a huge wheel well does good with tires that have about 1" of rubber on them -- they were like toyo or some ricer **** - i was like "um - what the HELL is this ??!?!?!?!!" --- it's almost shocking - i can look at a car or truck on a lot and PICTURE in my head what it'll look like after i'm done modding it up the way i want - twice i've had the salesmen who sold me trucks go "is THAT what i sold you ???" in absolute shock. its like "ya, a little elbow grease and a few accessories installedright got a long way".
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    i got it!!!! overall, im completely surprised by the performance of this engine. it is def. faster than my old 5.7 and itll def. pick up and go. i couldnt be more pleased, well, i probably could if it was a 5.3 4x4, but still.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    i couldnt be more pleased
    -Cody

isn't it a damn good feeling when you can say that? nothin like a new truck to make a guy feel awesome. :D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Hell yeah! Congrats bro! Now the fun begins, you get to rip everything out and start installing!

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    not yet, i have a problem.

since i work at the audio shop here i looked at our wall where we keep all our kits and harnesses and i cant find the harness. im thinking its a newer truck and we dont have it yet, ill just go to circuit city and get it. go to circuit city and ask for the gmrc-01. they tell me $90. I just tell him nevermind, I'll order it from work and get it at cost. But since GM is fawking retarded they have all this **** integrated in the radio so I need the fuggin $90 interface. ****. **** **** ****.

This is what it is:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-GM-Class-II-Data-Interface-GMRC01-/sem/rpsm/oid/78044/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Will it matter if I just rig it or do I actually need that? I was kind of looking forward to losing my door chimes...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    You cant just wire it in straight? Bypass the wiring harness alltogether and run its own power and ground wires or is their too much crap integrated?

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    thats what im trying to figure out. i dont want to short circuit something and have my whole electrical system fried b/c i didnt shell out $90, but its **** **** like door chimes then i dont want it anyway
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    That is stupid. Ive never heard of door chimes running thru the head unit. OEM manufacturers do this crap on purpose. They have to!

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    dude... find the constant 12 volt lead to the radio - tap into it as yellow power.

then grab switched ACC 12 volt red by just going to your cigarette lighter - its only "on" when the key is "on".

ground it to anything metal - voila you're done.

"we can do this, we have the technology" - million dollar man i think.
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    i know that, but someone on a chevy forum said he heard, he wasnt sure if it was true, but he heard it could mess something up.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I dont see how. If your Pioneer is running off its own power source and isnt connected to anything other than your amps, I just dont see how it could screw something up unless some vital function runs thru the h/u. Cant imagine what that could be though.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    thats what im thinking. ill have to see how much i can get it for at work and how much the ones on ebay go for
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    You should get pretty lucky on Ebay assuming you can find one. You can probably get one used cheaper than you could get thru your work.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    well i dont know about used ones, theyve only been out for 2-3 years. there were only like 5 on ebay
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    got it settled, used a different harness. all i lose is my door chimes...whoopty freakin doo. The only thing i had to do is run the red 12V power somewhere else. cost to me $8 for the harness. I finally have the radio, the rear door panels are off, the backseat is fixing to be out, I'm going to take the front seats out today, pull the carpet, put the front seats back in and start sound deadening. Sundays are my only day off but tomorrow im going to schlitterbahn(read big effin waterpark) so thats out and monday i start school...so damn, lots to do, little time to do it.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Sweet.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    i need a week paid vacation and no school...that would be nice...that or win the lottery
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Schlitterbahn is cool!

I feel your pain in having no time to do anything. On top of me working 500 hours a week its either been 150 degrees or pouring down rain. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice for the first time in months but by Gawd Im going mountain biking! I havent been in nearly 2 months and its pissing me off. Tomorrow is supposed to only be in the high 80's with no rain so Im heading for the trail! Maybe if I get some extra time Ill fidget with my stereo.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    i wish i could go mountain biking. it would be nice, i would just like to have my bike back period. i swear to god if i see my bright yellow bike on campus somewhere im chasing them down and beating their **** ****.

but yea, ive been working 57 hours a week, i start school monday and im taking 12 hours(only 3 classes...phys, cal, and chemistry...fun times) and still working almost 40 hours a week.

i got back from schlitterbahn and i might be able to take my passenger seat out tonite and rip the carpet out by thursday, start sound deadening sometime when im not at work, class, or studying. im giving my new box an estimated build date of christmas and my iridiums will be going in stock locations and i wont be using the midrange. but i do have my cd player back and thatll hold me off for a while at least
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Man. Crazy schedule. Hope you're efficient!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    ... this is why we take the summer off and build our toys... then pray to god that we can find a job now that the money's all gone, in time so they don't like take my blood or anything.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Damn. I cant imagine the pain in the **** it would be to take out the interior and dampen everything. The doors is about all Ill ever do.

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    yea, my truck will have only the driver seat and front door panels on for a couple weeks or more until i get into a routine that i can balance school, work, fitness, and audio. its going to be really tough but i think i can do it
    -Cody