Polk made in China?

Comments

• Shawshanks
    Shawshanks Posts: 26
    edited August 2005
    This subject can go on and on... that is one of the biggest problems w/ outsourcing to asian countries, the blueprints and even molds can be sold out the back door and produced to look like the originals. an example, which is no where near to car audio, is golf clubs, knockoffs of well known brands are everywhere but w/ a similar name to the orginal. no matter how much the US companies try to stop this practice, it will never end b/c of the human need for money and power.

as for the educational system, no one is perfect, the US may be stronger than another country in one thing and vice versa, but as long as we share the information for the betterment of the world, then thats the most important lesson we can learn. sorry getting a little philosophical, so lets agree to disagree..hahaaaa "can't we all just get along!!!"
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    I belive education dont mean ****. There is a big difference between education and intelligence. Some of the stupidest people Ive ever known have bachelor degrees or better.

Everybody is always talking about how dumb Americans are when compared to the geniuses of China and Europe. If thats the case, why is it China is still about 20 years behind us in military technology and just recently launched a man into space for the first time 40 years after us? Why is it always America that comes thru with the technological breakthroughs in medicine, science and engineering? Not too bad for a country full of dumbasses.
    You are partly right.
  • L7 *
    L7 * Posts: 6
    edited August 2005
    So I did a search and got a thread on country of origin. Now I hit 'new posts' and got this thread dealing with what I want, aside from the above.

Someone here mentioned their boxes said 'made in china'. Can someone confirm that for the RTi8s does it say it on the box or worse directly on the cabinet. If it refers to no country or to made in US than it should be good for no duty through NAFTA. If it says made in China I may be screwed and then I have to try to figure out how much the duties will be. I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm this. Thanks.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    PBD, you're an idiot, and the only thing that post proves is that the US might be the best at being dumbass racists.
  • Thom
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    If thats the case, why is it China is still about 20 years behind us in military technology and just recently launched a man into space for the first time 40 years after us? Why is it always America that comes thru with the technological breakthroughs in medicine, science and engineering? Not too bad for a country full of dumbasses.

Maybe they didn't want to waste a bunch of money doing something that's already been done.

We've obviously got some very smart people in this country, but there's plenty of dumbasses who seem to think they're smart by association.

Just look on any forum and see people butchering the language so badly you can't understand what they're trying to say...
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    Thom wrote:
    PBD, you're an idiot, and the only thing that post proves is that the US might be the best at being dumbass racists.

at least i don't have a problem with things being made in china :) so i get a brownie point for that don't i?

you have to admit though - that was quite the classic conversation. completely absurd and insane, but wildly classic. what makes it even more odd is one of those people is chinese.

well folks - i'm takin a break - gonna go - i dunno - sleep for a few days. be back after my street's block party "festival" is over. i will most certainly be typing with poor spelling at that point.

21 days to polk-fest 2005 and counting down... tick tick tick...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Maybe they didn't want to waste a bunch of money doing something that's already been done.

We've obviously got some very smart people in this country, but there's plenty of dumbasses who seem to think they're smart by association.

Just look on any forum and see people butchering the language so badly you can't understand what they're trying to say...

Yeah, sure. China has no interest in having the best military, thats why theyre buying Soviet weapons like there is no tomorrow and trying to steal our own techonolgy. And obviously they didnt want to get into space cause as soon as they could, THEY DID!

This is ridiculous. You say the US is the best country that has or ever will be on this planet and is solely resposible for virtually everything good that has ever come around and its not long before someone throws "racist" at you.

Im not one that feels guilty about being an American and feels the need to wring my hands and exploit to the max every bad thing that has ever happened here simply to assuage my guilt. Is this a perfect country with a perfect history? No. Is this the greatest country in history and is responsible for improving the quality of life worldwide? Abso-****-lutely! And Im damn proud to be an American and will never apologize for it!

Hoo-rah!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah, sure. China has no interest in having the best military, thats why theyre buying Soviet weapons like there is no tomorrow and trying to steal our own techonolgy. And obviously they didnt want to get into space cause as soon as they could, THEY DID!

This is ridiculous. You say the US is the best country that has or ever will be on this planet and is solely resposible for virtually everything good that has ever come around and its not long before someone throws "racist" at you.

Mac, in defense of Thom, I'd like to say that I don't believe that is what he meant.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the "garbage" that I posted earlier (since deleted, and probably rightfully so) about "taking over the world and building a super span bridge instead of a twin bridge to canada" (which is actually a real issue here in buffalo - people have been fighting about it for years, the old peace bridge connecting buffalo and ontario is in rough shape).

He did state that he's not 100% impressed with the US education system and that there's room for improvement...

now get back to yelling at me people...

god, my vacation from polking was apparently cut short - i'm too addicted to this place. its like - my "pizaz" (not pizza - pizaz like "cool wang dang shama lang").
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    OK. All I saw was "youre an idiot and a racist!" I was like WTF?!?

And my post isnt directed at Thom, just that Im sick of the entire hippy leftwing attitude toward this country. You post "America rules!" on any political forum or on your local college campus and youll be bombarded with all the usual drivel like slavery, lynchings, Indians and on and on.

I dunno, trash talking the good ole US of A is something Im really sensitive about and it gets my war flags waving pretty quick. Maybe I should start drinking decaf!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    maybe i should start drinking .... more. it would mellow me out some, i think.

i saw that crap even after 9-11 where there were like patriotic banner type deals around UB (school i go to) with graphitti written over them like "you're no better..." and "oppression" and other crap like that.

all i could think was "so much for banding together".

we all have too much time on our hands though - somehow we've gone from "oh, polk put up a factory in china - wonder if the workmanship and such is of the same quality - oh well its been there for years and the XYZ speakers i just bought are nice, so it must be, cool" to "who's country is best".

might be a good idea to close this thread, unless it dies off on its own.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Nah, we should just round up all the hippies and send them to California then build a wall around the state and never let any of them out! :D

Yeah, I know, Im being racist against hippies.

• Thom
    edited August 2005
    My comment was directed at PBD's post, if you had seen the racial slurs throughout you would understand. If taken in context, as he explained later, I don't find it offensive, but there's no way it would have stayed even with his explanation.

If you ever find yourself typing the phrase "This will get deleted quick..." do me a favor and don't bother posting. Save me the trouble of having to edit it later.
  • Thom
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:

Im not one that feels guilty about being an American and feels the need to wring my hands and exploit to the max every bad thing that has ever happened here simply to assuage my guilt. Is this a perfect country with a perfect history? No. Is this the greatest country in history and is responsible for improving the quality of life worldwide? Abso-****-lutely! And Im damn proud to be an American and will never apologize for it!

Hoo-rah!

But I think of it as someone saying Coke is the best drink ever, without ever having tried anything else. I consider myself lucky to have been born here, but I don't like the super patriot, sheep/ robot- like "USA is the best!" It's all perspective. Lots of people in lots of other countries think theirs is the best, too. We can make fun of them for blindly following their leaders, but plenty here do the same. I thought what made this place so great was that "we" control the government. Ha ha. I've never lived anywhere but here, so I can't really comment on if anyplace is better. But don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy where I am.

I also try not to take pride in other people's accomplishments. It's pure luck that I was born here, and I don't feel any right to take credit for something someone else did, good or bad. I can hardly take pride in anything I've done.

Also keep in mind that if there was a way to read sarcasm you would realize that most of my posts are. This is the internet, the perfect place for pointless arguments, and sometimes I like to egg people on. It's nothing to get stirred up about. I guess I should use more smiley faces... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2005
    I said it before, I'm saying it again.

wow.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Nah, we should just round up all the hippies and send them to California then build a wall around the state and never let any of them out! :D

Yeah, I know, Im being racist against hippies.

dude...don`t send em all back here..!!
    we finally got most of them to move to oregon..!! :D

I used to be a hippy 30 yrs ago, but that part of my alter-ego overdosed long ago... :p
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    i thought california was still strong with the 70's type culture movement?

there was a guy who i guess used to live round here, he "came back" after a 5 year trip to california and went from a clean cut prep school dude to looking like a giant hemp necklace. actually he looked kinda cool but he didn't act cool at all. i don't think he ever walked in a straight line the whole day i was at this party with him. and he wasn't even drinking.
  • Sami
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    This is ridiculous. You say the US is the best country that has or ever will be on this planet and is solely resposible for virtually everything good that has ever come around
    Yes, that is a ridiculous statement. None of them are true. It's ok to be a patriot but it wouldn't hurt to be realistic too. Racisms and overpatriotism, not the same thing, most of the time but a lot of the times it is getting close. Part racisms, bigger part ignorance.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2005
    Thom wrote:
    But I think of it as someone saying Coke is the best drink ever, without ever having tried anything else. I consider myself lucky to have been born here, but I don't like the super patriot, sheep/ robot- like "USA is the best!" It's all perspective. Lots of people in lots of other countries think theirs is the best, too. We can make fun of them for blindly following their leaders, but plenty here do the same. I thought what made this place so great was that "we" control the government. Ha ha. I've never lived anywhere but here, so I can't really comment on if anyplace is better. But don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy where I am.

I also try not to take pride in other people's accomplishments. It's pure luck that I was born here, and I don't feel any right to take credit for something someone else did, good or bad. I can hardly take pride in anything I've done.

Also keep in mind that if there was a way to read sarcasm you would realize that most of my posts are. This is the internet, the perfect place for pointless arguments, and sometimes I like to egg people on. It's nothing to get stirred up about. I guess I should use more smiley faces... :D

good post. yet still it's good for us a nation to link ourselves to our history. That in essence is where Patriotism comes from.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Overpatriotism? There is no such thing, not for this country. You read about the founders and what they sacrificed for this country and then think about "overpatriotism". Thats like having "overlove" for your mother! These people were sacrificing their family and friends lives for this country!

And Sami, you can think this country is nothing special and thats fine but if you were to take America out of history as if it never existed the quality of life WORLDWIDE would deminish a great deal! This country is responsible for the science and medicine that has incresed the life expectancy by decades and given people a better quality of life so they can enjoy those extra years. We're responsible for the technological advances that have allowed us to harness nuclear power, exlore space, communicate from different corners of the world thru a little piece of plastic thatll fit in your shirt pocket. We've liberated millions of people. Defeated **** Germany, Imperial Japan, Stalinism and the Soviet Union. France, England, Poland and a host of other countries would be non existant if it werent for us.

And for the **** love of pete, quit trying to play the race card. This country being a "Shining City on a Hil" (Ronaldus Magnus) has nothing, NOTHING to do with Americans being a superior race. Freedom, capitolism/free market system and the American spirit are whats responsible for our greatness.

Now, find where I ever said that the rest of the world was useless, worthless and contributed nothing to society. Ya aint gonna find it cause I NEVER SAID IT! Im sure you can point to several wonderful things other countries have contributed to the world. All Im saying is that we're responsible for the majority of them directly and most of the rest indirectly.

And touting the accomplishments of this country would only be taking credit for others work if I were saying I did it all. Yeah, Im a dumbass and have never done anything thatll change the world, so what. I have nothing to do with creating Polk speakers yet I constantly am singing the praises of all that is Polk to anybody thatll listen. Should I stop doing that? Should Thom, Josh and Brian be the only ones that can priase Polk since they actually had a hand in making it great? Have you had anything to do with your favorite NFL team being successful? If not does that mean you arent allowed to praise them and be proud of them? I didnt think so.

In closing, say whay you will, Im a Goddamned PROUD Overpatriot!

• aaharvel
    edited August 2005
    calm down MacLeod, it's just a discussion forum.
    that goes for everyone else too. =)

(edit) 5 posts to go.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Shawshanks
    Shawshanks Posts: 26
    edited August 2005
    Damn Samsaga, see what u did!!!!! just joking.... wow this has become a heated debate but thats what makes this country good, somewhat freedom of speech. like i said before, no one country is perfect and we should not try to be b/c then it would be a boring country and who would want to live in a boring country??? the founding fathers laid the foundation for the future to continue building this country up, lets hope we don't screw it up and tear it down.

lets now get back to talking about car audio stuff... peace all
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited August 2005
    yeah.. i just ask because my mmc6500 say made in china.. and i was afraid because maybe i was ripped :D and now looks like an i started a war :D
  • Sami
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Overpatriotism? There is no such thing, not for this country.
    While not a true meaning of the word patriot, it is being used for people who think there isn't anything but USA in the world. You are proud of your country and that is clouding your thinking young padowan. Nothing wrong with that, it will go away with some knowledge.

China probably will be the next superpower. I don't think it will happen in our lifetime but you never know.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    And there it is. The elitist attitude Ive come to expect and love from aniti American hippies. "You think America is best besauce youre not as smart as me." Makes me want to puke.

You dont belong in Texas. You should really move to Seatle or maybe Berkley California and hang out on some of the college campuses. Im sure you can find plenty of like minded friends that like to sit around the fire and reminisce about all the injustices and horrors this country has inflicted upon countless innocents. Then you can all get together and wipe each others asses with the flag. Fun times for all.

China will be a superpower? Funny, but communist dictatorships never seem to go very far. Youd think people with all that "knowledge" would have figured it out by now. Maybe if they were to overthrow their government and create a democratic, capitalistic society they would have potential, but I wont hold my breath.

So thats all Im gonna say. Some people just dont like this contry and there is no changing their minds.

• aaharvel
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    So thats all Im gonna say. Some people just dont like this contry and there is no changing their minds.

MacLeod i've always liked you and you've always seem pretty cool to me, despite our arguments that we've had over whatever, but that is a **** thing to say. Just because someone disagrees with your viewpoint- then they automatically hate this country? It sounds like you're shying away from free debate and free thinking- something this country was founded on. I guess some people just want to honor SOME parts of the constitution, and not others; and there is no changing their minds.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Oh give it a rest. You have the right to say anything you want. You DONT have the right to be heard. If youre talking ****, and I dont want to hear it I dont have to. Just because I grow weary of arguing why America isnt a bad place doesnt mean Im violating anybody's rights.

You would know this if you had more "knowledge". ;)

• Sami
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Who said I don't like this country? All I am saying is that your view of things is very ignorant. This is a great country, just not the be-all end-all like you seem to think it is. Your views that USA is responsible for all the advances in science and medicine is laughable. After WWII US has been a major contributor but certainly not the only one. Money buys you the best brainpower in the world and that is where US has excelled, bringing in scientists to complement their own. But just as economies improve the same can work for other nations as well, which brings us back to China.

About China, I agree with you about communism, it is slowing down the process but all things are changing. I didn't say it will be a overnight process but all the signs are there and there is no denying their potential. Communism will not last forever and if you follow their progress at all their future seems very bright. Rome fell and the same reasons why they did can apply to the future of the US as well. I am sure there are people saying that US will never fall from its status, just as there were Romans thinking the same. Shifts in power (and economy as money makes the world go around) are inevitable as time goes by. I doubt US will ever become insignicant unless something very dramatic happens but shifts in power are very likely between US, China, Russia and EU, possibly even India.
  • aaharvel
    edited August 2005
    ^ ^ ^ ^
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited August 2005
    if anyone on this forum thinks China is not building a war chest with the money that American consumers and companies are pouring into China think again!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • Sami
    edited August 2005
    War chest? What kind of war and against who?
This discussion has been closed.