13»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Uh huh......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Ah, go smoke your mahageny pipe. :D

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Man, I don't hate vinyl. I hate people who think vinyl sounds better than SACD, yet haven't listened to SACD on anything better than some entry level player.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that SACD is worthless. I agree that it is a big step up from CD. It's just my experience that you have to spend more on an SACD player to get the same or similar sound to a good turntable. And on top of that you are dealing with a much more expensive media, with a far smaller selection of titles.

I have spent many hours between a Denon 2900 Universal and my turntable in my own home. I have also had the chance to hear an a/b comparison between a $900 dollar vinyl setup (Project RM-6) and a $2000 SACD player (marantz) on a PS Audio and Legacy system at Music Direct. In both cases all people involved including myself agreed that most of the time LP sounded better.

I realize that vinyl has it's down sides: size, maintenance, and for some avilability. But in my situation the cost/benefit ratio of vinyl is impossible to ignore.

Didn't mean to stir things up F1nut, and I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't forming my opinion of SACD on a $129 pioneer universal.

I guess as always....to each their own. :)
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    for me, a LOT of the attraction to vinyl is nostalgia.
    Exactly the opposite here....my memories of vinyl being a PITA is why the format holds no allure for me.....SACD ROCKS!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson