New XBox: $300 and $400 price sets!

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,030
edited September 2005 in Video Games
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ::drool::
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2005
    Options
    wow....difficult decision....Xbox 360, PS3 or Revolution; anyone has any comments on why any of these would be a better buy??? I could go investigate myself but I'm sure someone already did....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2005
    Options
    And, there will be a third version of the XBox 360 not available at the launch, which will support HD-DVD.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Buy both. WHy limit yourself to just one console. Then when buying games , it doesn't matter what you want.

Dan

Ps... I will own both.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited August 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    wow....difficult decision....Xbox 360, PS3 or Revolution; anyone has any comments on why any of these would be a better buy??? I could go investigate myself but I'm sure someone already did....

Meh, I'd go with revolution, It'll have the old gaming library (ultimate backwards compatibilty,) and although it may not have all the features that the others boast, but whoop-de-friggin-doo, It's a gaming console! It's not supposed to play all of my CDs, do my homework and park my car! Oy...

I'd limit my self to one cause of the price, unfortunately, that has also gone up like the number of features.
  • VR3
    edited August 2005
    Options
    How will the Revolution have the ultimate compatibility when Nintendo hasnt used disc until the Gamecube?

The 360 and PS3 are both backward compatible as well...

If anything, the PS3 will have the biggest library of games...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited August 2005
    Options
    How will the Revolution have the ultimate compatibility when Nintendo hasnt used disc until the Gamecube?

The 360 and PS3 are both backward compatible as well...

If anything, the PS3 will have the biggest library of games...

True, but it'll also cost in the realm of $1000 last I checked, with the Revolutions, word out was that you can buy old games which were ported to revolution, granted we don't know how many 3rd party games will jump on but it'll still be cool be able to buy a game and not have to dredge around e-pay any more for it.

I'm honestly just for a console that's affordable, I don't care who does it.
  • VR3
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What is affordable to you?

300-400 dollars is fairly affordable to me, especially since I will wait a bit for them to go down in price and for the new XBox to pick up the HD-DVD drive...

Nintendo lost my interest after the N64... Besides, I gotta have Halo 3... :)
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    PS-3, true 1080i and true 1080p. Only other source capable of that high of quality output is Microsofts windows media center. drrooooll

This is what amuses me with the recent video game industry and its buyers during the advent of HD. All this drooling over HD and better graphics. PCs have been playing in high def for a long time. I just find the recent bewilderment by HD in games kinda odd.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Recent bewilderment odd?

I say its cool as heck since I dont have to spend $1000 keeping my PC system at the super elite chain just to play the best games at the best resolutions with all AA and AF on.

With these new consoles, I just buy the console and play. No more need for 2gb of memory or overclocking. No need for my watercooled computer.... just the console that plays at HD.

I'm looking forward to it.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey, that may be, but a much cheaper computer can play in HD with much more affordable components.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    And, there will be a third version of the XBox 360 not available at the launch, which will support HD-DVD.

All speculation at this point.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • bknauss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mjr7531 wrote:
    True, but it'll also cost in the realm of $1000 last I checked, with the Revolutions, word out was that you can buy old games which were ported to revolution, granted we don't know how many 3rd party games will jump on but it'll still be cool be able to buy a game and not have to dredge around e-pay any more for it.

I'm honestly just for a console that's affordable, I don't care who does it.

People can buy the Revolution for old Nintendo games, but I'll use my previously purchased computer and download Nintendo emulators and roms and have it all for free :)
    Brian Knauss
  • bknauss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'm dissapointed in the pricing of some of this stuff, and what is included in the packages. I'm not against the $400 price tag, but why is next to nothing included in the $300 core system? You get a stinking composite video cable. No component, no VGA, no toslink. Not to mention no wireless controller or HDD. Then you have to buy the recharge kit for wireless controllers (I thought this was going to be part of the wireless controller bundle), more $50 controllers, $60 games, etc etc. I really hope there will be some nicely priced bundles out there around launch time. I don't want to spend $400 (system) + $50 (extra wireless controller) + $60 (Ghost Recon) = $510 + tax for basic start up costs. Then throw in Live... oof.

But with that being said, I still definitely want the thing. I'm staying away from PS3 for now because of how badly that thing executes compared to Xbox. Slow as molasses load up times, worse graphics on the same titles, and needing to buy a lot of extra stuff to make the thing work correctly (mem card, network adapter, etc).

End of 2 cents.
    Brian Knauss
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'll put my HTPC up against any of those game systems anyday.

I went the XBOX route once, but I just don't dig consoles. I can build a computer that will blow away those console systems for under $1500. Granted that's more expensive than the console, but with the computer I can also store all my music, burn my movies, work from home, pay my bills, and surf the internet and post on this forum!

To each his own, but I just don't get the console thing.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    I'll put my HTPC up against any of those game systems anyday.

I went the XBOX route once, but I just don't dig consoles. I can build a computer that will blow away those console systems for under $1500. Granted that's more expensive than the console, but with the computer I can also store all my music, burn my movies, work from home, pay my bills, and surf the internet and post on this forum!

To each his own, but I just don't get the console thing.

Not these new consoles. The old ones yes.

But I dont think even mine can compete.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    Options
    It's a little pricey for me. I'll wait for Nintendo (and another 6 months after it's out), before I think of upgrading. They all sound so tempting, buy I still haven't beating my existing systems to death yet. Also, I like to get the games used (picked up medal of honor & gothic racing 2 for $12 each yesterday).

There will be that initial surge of buyers when the things come out, so you will get no price breaks. But once that wears out, and competition heats up, there will be a whole bunch of deals out there. This should actually be one of the biggest battles for the gaming market yet (nintendo really needs to get market share).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Look no offense but i said it before and I will say it again....if the game LOOKS pretty but gameplay suck then whats the point? How much more can we make blood and water look? Seriously?

This whole CPU Vs. Console thing is WAAAYYYY out of hand. The only game (CPU) that I have heard no one complain about (recently) is Battlefield. And I know there are some great games for CPU out there, but you literally need to fork out more money when a new game comes out every single time. And don't say that you don't cause you DO. Look at Battlefield, high end NVidia cards were non-compatible. So that meant anyone with an NVidia card had to go out and upgrade in order to play.

400 for a console, that does not represent water AS crystal clear as on a computer....well call me an **** but give me the **** looking water. As long as I don't have to upgrade something to get the game I am all good. And I am in no way blaming CPU players or Console players for this stupid fight, lets just all agree that CPU's are better, but console's are cheaper. Or..."my blood looks gorier than your's".
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Not these new consoles. The old ones yes.

But I dont think even mine can compete.
    Those consoles haven't even hit the market yet, and already my current system specs out better than what those systems.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Sean,

Agreed. I am excited too for Xbox's media center capabilites. I can easily see that being very awesome in the new house.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    This whole CPU Vs. Console thing is WAAAYYYY out of hand. The only game (CPU) that I have heard no one complain about (recently) is Battlefield. And I know there are some great games for CPU out there, but you literally need to fork out more money when a new game comes out every single time. And don't say that you don't cause you DO. Look at Battlefield, high end NVidia cards were non-compatible. So that meant anyone with an NVidia card had to go out and upgrade in order to play.

400 for a console, that does not represent water AS crystal clear as on a computer....well call me an **** but give me the **** looking water. As long as I don't have to upgrade something to get the game I am all good. And I am in no way blaming CPU players or Console players for this stupid fight, lets just all agree that CPU's are better, but console's are cheaper. Or..."my blood looks gorier than your's".
    I've never once had to go out and upgrade a computer part because of a game I bought, not once. Now I've made plenty of computer upgrades, don't get me wrong. But I've never bought a game and then was like "oh man, I've got to go buy a $300 video card just to play this"

I'm not sure where you're getting your info on Battlefield, but I have an Nvidia card and it plays just fine, no issues whatsoever. It may not play so great on a four year old GeForce 2, but it plays fine on my friends 5700, and that's a couple of years old now.

You DO have to worry about more compatibility issues with a PC, but most of that stuff is a non-issue with the standardization we have today.

The main reasons I prefer a PC over a console:

1 - Versatility - like I said, I can pay my bills, work from home, copy my DVDs, etc with a PC - can't do that with a console - I get more functionality per dollar out of my PC.

2 - Upgradeability - If my CPU or Mobo fails in the PC, I can replace that single piece, and typically with ease. Of if I wanna upgrade a single component, again I can do that with ease. This isn't the case with a console.

3 - CHEAT CODES! - That's right, **** - I use cheat codes. :D This may not be the case so much today, but I had an XBOX for a while (sold on here to wallstreet) and one main reason for getting rid of it was there weren't cheat codes available for several of the games that I was playing. This may have changed in the last year or so, but irritated me greatly when I had the console.

Like I said, to each his own - that's just my stance
  • VR3
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Cheat Codes?

:rolleyes:

What kind of games do you use cheat codes on? I mean REALLY?

I have used cheat codes on two games... The Sims and GTA - Sims for infinite money... (on the build a neighborhood)

and GTA for infinite weapons, tanks, and more stars... BOOM BOOM BOOM

Please don't tell me you use cheats to like...ya know...make the game easier... :confused: - Dosnt that take away what the game is meant to do...like challenge and entertain you..?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I use cheat codes on everything basically.

Sid, different people play games for different reasons. Some people like to play for the challenge, that's what I have a job for.

When I sit down to play a game, I'm not up for a challenge - I'm just looking for entertainment.

I want to crank up Medal of Honor and storm Omaha Beach, I don't want to have to keep restarting that stage over and over because I get killed before I even get off the boat. That's not entertaining for me, that's frustrating.

I wanna crank up NFS and drive a road course or race around the streets, I don't want to have to go though 10 different tests and win events to unlock cars and all that - I just wanna pick my car, pick my track - and drive.

I wanna crank up Painkiller and run around and kill demons and crap, and I don't want to have to restart a stage over and over because I keep dying.

I want all that - and I want it to look and sound as good as possible.

Simple as that
  • VR3
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well alright :)

Cheat away I say!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Pong STILL rules.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hey, you can preorder your Xbox 360 bundle for only $699 at EB now!
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What kind of specs does your PC run Polkmaniac?

Also, you're just like my brother. Cheating on games.

It may be fun, but to me, that defeats the purpose of the game. Kind of like watching a movie but fast-forwarding to the ending. You're missing a lot of the emotion with the game and all you're getting is a light show. If that's what floats your boat... oh well.

I'm with Sid on this one... cheat away.
  • bknauss
    edited August 2005
    Options
    fireshoes wrote:
    Hey, you can preorder your Xbox 360 bundle for only $699 at EB now!

Oh man, my wallet hurts just looking at that. Glad to see they include a lame list of games with it. Where's Ghost Recon???
    Brian Knauss
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2005
    Options
    To me, cheating just offers another 'mode' in which to play the game. When I cheat, I like to play through the game once and get as much fun out of it that way, and then cheat and do all the wacky things in the game that you can't normally.

Cheating just to make the game easier though is kinda lame.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2005
    Options
    bknauss wrote:
    Oh man, my wallet hurts just looking at that. Glad to see they include a lame list of games with it. Where's Ghost Recon???

Uh oh, better keep saving I guess. Gamestop has a package for $1199.83. Unreal.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/360/360.asp