matching a new receiver to my polks

BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I hope some of you can help me chose a new receiver for my system. I have a Sony right now not real impressed with it STR-DE1045.
I'd like to move up to 7.1 or 6.1 system.I have rt1000i fronts, cs400i center, psw650 sub, fx500i surrounds, also have(was old system, but I thought for going to 7.1 or 6.1 they could be used), cs245i center, rt35i(pair), and rt25i(pair), psw350 sub.

Iam intrested in the Onkyo TX-DS989+898+797, Denon AVR-5800+4802+3802..........also JVC RX-DP10V I question the JVC's power supply I have heard they are undersized for there amps.

anybody out there know?
Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2002
    Hi

You've got the speakers to make a mighty impressive HT. I don't think you'd go wrong with the Onkyo's or Denon's you mention. It really depends on your budget. The 3802 or the 797 would each be an improvement over your Sony, IMO. Listen to them first, if at all possible.

Honestly, I haven't been that impressed with the Onkyo's I've heard lately, but many people on this forum like them. I do have a Denon 3801 that I'm very happy with. Denon should be coming out with a new model to replace the 5800, soon (may already be out, but I'm not sure), so you might find a deal on the 5800. The same is probably true of the Onkyo models.

The Denon models let you hook up two sets of surround speakers and switch between them for music or movies (or you can use them both at the same time, for whatever reason)---That would allow you to put those RT35i's and or 25i's to good use. Or, if you can only fit one back surround, the CS245i would work well for that.

You'll get lots of opinions on receivers---- There are a lot of good receivers out there. Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Jason
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    any of the onkyo's/denon's you mentioned are going to be a step up. if you can afford the 5800, you might want to consider looking into seperates even as an option. anthem, marantz w/ monoblocks. i'm sure there are many other good options, these are just the ones i've personally heard. both can be done for approx. same price as the AVR5800 (retail). there's a big price range from the 797 to the 989, or from the 3802 to 5800. you have alot of options. my best advice would be to get out there and see what sound YOU prefer. in this hobby, it's all subjective and personal preference. you're heading in the right direction already though. good luck, and welcome to the forum...:D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Listen to the Onkyo's before you buy, then go here the Denon line,bring a pair of speaker's,It's a must to test, also bring your wire for your fron't, also good.
    My money's on the Denon line.The system you own would go perfect with the avr3802,you don't need anymore then this.If you feel froggy, jump on a avr5800, price has already come down,at Tweeter they sell it for 2999.99, that a great price.You can always upgrade it in the future to the avr5803 spec's for 800.00.But thats only if you are feeling froggy...then jump.
    I don't recomend the Onkyo line, thats not a good match with Polk's, must guy's here get them as CC sells them, one stop shop.Thats fine, but you can do better!!
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    BBUBBA, really nice steup almost exactly like mine except I have the PSW1200. You will love going to 6 or 7 channel. I have the cs245i as a 6th channel. Sounds amazing with my 787. I really like the Onkyo's and the one's your looking at have at least 6 channels. WELCOME!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!! and remember HAVE FUN!!!!! ;)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    ithe denon 3800 has bult in 7 chanel power and the onkyo has 6 chanel power amp bult in that is the 797 but the denon dont have thx ex what i want to upgrade in a year or 2 is my onkyo to a b&k pre pro setup. it is about 4200 dollars
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    Well I need to go listen to some receivers . I haven't heard anyone respond to the JVC question. Are they junk? The specs. looked good on them and they had THX cert. 7.1 .
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    My RX-9010VBK suits me fine. I've posted alot on here talking about it's merits and downfalls. I haven't checked out RX-DP10V, but I'm more than satisfied. The amps are strong, the features are nice, the price is great, and the Monitor 10Bs are singing splendidly. This makes for a happy Gidrah!:D
    Make it Funky! :)
  • The Old Gaffer
    The Old Gaffer Posts: 35
    edited April 2002
    I have not listened to the Denon's but I did buy an Onkyo TXDS696 and I wish that I had looked around a little more. I like the sound right now for the most part, but I did have a lot of trouble early on. Placement is critical, depending on the CD I am listening to the sound sometimes seems too bright in the highs and the mids mushy. I would recommend you listen-listen-listen some more before you buy. Movies on the other hand sound great on the Onkyo. Good luck!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Denon is just a solid line.great feature's like powered 2nd zone.try that on an Onkyo and you can't wait theater anymorewhile in multiroom.That suck's, I don't like it no.There is many weird thing's onkyo does that I can't figure out.Make's life harder to work with.Did I mention they sound terrible?????
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.