Crazy Volume Surges

Options
chrisll
chrisll Posts: 3
edited August 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have some speakers (a woofer with 4 speaker) set up on my computer and I get these volume surges. Sometimes the volume will increase or decrease 3-4 fold.

I don't know what triggers it. My system is set up correctly as far as I know. Could it be bad wiring?

When it's surging and no music is playing you can hear a sound as if wind is blowing in the speakers cutting in and out. It's rather irritating. I have tried switching from digital input to analog input and it doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by chrisll on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What type of soundcard do you have? I found that when my All In Wonder video card output was plugged into my soundcard input the mouse moving would make noises and sometimes would expierience the same thing you are, my friends computer does this also, though on her's, there is nothing on the input. could be a ground loop but im not sure and if it is, I have no clue how you would fix that on a computer. So I guess unplug any inputs into the soundcard and go from there
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • chrisll
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Actually, it's an old soundblaster value live! card. It didn't do this in the beginning. Only in the last year or so. I just moved and have nothing else plugged into the soundcard, but for the speakers. Yet, it's surging. Sometimes I can turn it off and on in succession and it will improve for a bit.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Interesting. Not sure how it would happen but, could be a capacitor letting loose some charge. Anyone else have any ideas? Are these computer speakers or a reciever hooked up to your computer? If you are using a reciever or amp, make sure you don't have the volume on the computer all the way up as the minijack will send more current than RCAs will so, clipping could occur.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Could it be you are geting some kind of "noise" from the power line? I live close to an old radio antenna, and I used to have some kind of interference that went directly to the speakers through the power line and made this funny noise. When I plugged the speakers system into a power conditioner it went away.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • chrisll
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What is a power conditioner? Something that regulates the power level? Thanks
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2005
    Options
    chrisll wrote:
    What is a power conditioner? Something that regulates the power level? Thanks

I am not an expert, but I think that what makes it a conditioner is that it will filter the power to get rid of noise/interference. A normal surge protector will probably not do it, but there are some that include filtering. You can find probably many options in the market, some will cost thousands, but there are cheaper ones; here is one example I could find, though there might be cheaper...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MONPRO800

If I were you, I would try to test before buying; there could be other reasons for your problem.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman