20/20

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just watched 20/20 tonight (or maybe it was Dateline, is there really a difference?) and they had a bit on car stereos, specifically the "boom cars" or the idiots with 45,000 watts to the subs and factory speakers.

They had some head on there bitching about noise pollution and called the guys running around with the big subs "terrorists"!!!! You just know this dude has never had sex in his life!

I do have to admit though, these morons that drive around cranking out 150 db deserve to be horse whipped. Whats the point. Its not about the music anymore but about getting noticed and getting attention. They actually had a couple nitwits claiming "if you dont like it dont listen"! How the hell can I do that when youre driving around irritating everybody. It would be the same as if I came into their house with a bullhorn and started screaming. Hey, if you dont like it just dont listen.

To me car audio is about MUSIC not making loud noises. If you want that, take the muffler off your car.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2005
    I fuccin hear you on that man... I got stereotyped as some punk with a system tonight... i got pulled over cuz i fit the description of some kid they are lookin for sellin' drugs..

the cops first words to me are "Were you selling drugs up there..." I said no... then he said "Don't **** with me"
    man i'm so sick of the stereotype i gotta carry because i have some influences and a loud car...

i made sure I took forever to dig for my insurance card to keep him waiting...

sigh...
    if i have enough decency in myself to turn my **** down when dusk hits... then you should have enough to turn your **** blueberries off in the neighborhood you pull me over... BUT NOPE... now everyone knows adam **** moore god pulled over... and the sad thing is... they will think it's cause my stereo.

yea **** whoever is in this for all the wrong reasons...

-a.most
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    but it's ok for most of the cops and law makers to own harley's that are what, 2-3 times louder and more annoying than half the stereos out there these days... THAT'S what pisses me off. I remember driving around with a buddy who just had a muffler (and it was VERY tame sounding) on an automatic civic and got pulled over because a huge Ford F-150 with dual straight pipes just went past and the cop thought it was us. I leaned over and asked how much he knows about cars. He didn't think it was funny. He gave my buddy a ticket for noise pollution but his lawyer fixed that REAL quick.

But I'm completely with you Mac, anything over 135-140db is insanely to loud to be driving around to these days. I know I've lost most of my hearing about 17-18k because I used to have a system back in the day that could do 135-138db. Sure I thought it was cool but damn was it too loud. Guys who drive around with blown highs and 150db sub systems make me sad for the industry. But it's also keeping it going... DAMN YOU DOUBLE EDGED SWORD!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • swerve
    edited August 2005
    Blown highs and lows to move the skys...!!!! woot woot
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2005
    It is not cool to hear someone come up behind you that you can barely see. Then when they are behing you everything is booming. Even as a kid when I would drive around with my 2 Fosgate 15's and then 2 Lanzar's (this was a long time ago :) ) I would turn it down when I pulled up to a light. I just did not think it was cool to bump it that loud around other people at a light. Now that I am older I really do not bump it up that loud anymore.

My friend just stays stopped at the light when someone like that is behind him, he then goes right when it turns yellow. I then ask him what about your loud Harley, but that's another story :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Hey, if somebody likes big bass and wanted a bunch of 15's in his trunk then more power to them. Them buying the entry level crap by the truckload is what gives the manufacturers the money to better R&D their high end stuff (i.e. Polk and the Signature Reference). If they would only blast it while driving down the highway or at shows that would be fine, cause a good DB drag is fun to watch. Its the ones that drive thru the neigborhood or sit in the apartment complex parking lot or mall lot with it cranked that piss me off. I can handle it as it drives by at 65 mph but when theyre just sitting there or creeping by I want to get out and rip their doors off.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    I can handle it as it drives by at 65 mph but when theyre just sitting there or creeping by I want to get out and rip their doors off.

EASY!!! Take a deeeep breath man ! :eek:

:D j/k

Just sitting there blasting the distortion (most of the time) really gets on my nerves too. :mad:
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2005
    Sometimes I wish I had an electromagnetic pulse transmitter to "take em out" at the red light. Leave him sitting there in dead silence wondering what went wrong.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • swerve
    edited August 2005
    I blast my **** at lights.... well it depends on who and what is next to me... what being cops because i don't look at them as people now. k? thanks.

i don't deal drugs.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    swerve wrote:

i don't deal drugs.

-adam

:confused: ......

J/K I read your other thread :)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2005
    I have two 10's in my truck, plus db570s all the way around. If I crank it up as high as I want it to go, it will be very quiet outside the truck w/ everything closed up. And I don't care, because it's about _me_ enjoying the music, not everyone else around me... I don't like driving around town w/ the windows rolled down and the music up. If I want the music up, I'll roll the windows up....

I also make it a point that if I'm walking down the street and a loud boomy car goes by, that I not even flinch or glance at it. If people totally ignore them, they have no reason to do it...

I'll laugh when they're all deaf at 50. Now is the time to put stock in some hearing aid manufacturer!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Actually when they drive by at 5 mph blasting 155 db you should stand there and stare at them the whole way. If they stop and ask "whatchu lookin' at", kindly tell them, "well obviously youre wanting attention and for people to notice you, so I am."

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Just watched 20/20 tonight (or maybe it was Dateline, is there really a difference?) and they had a bit on car stereos, specifically the "boom cars" or the idiots with 45,000 watts to the subs and factory speakers.

They had some head on there bitching about noise pollution and called the guys running around with the big subs "terrorists"!!!! You just know this dude has never had sex in his life!

I do have to admit though, these morons that drive around cranking out 150 db deserve to be horse whipped. Whats the point. Its not about the music anymore but about getting noticed and getting attention. They actually had a couple nitwits claiming "if you dont like it dont listen"! How the hell can I do that when youre driving around irritating everybody. It would be the same as if I came into their house with a bullhorn and started screaming. Hey, if you dont like it just dont listen.

To me car audio is about MUSIC not making loud noises. If you want that, take the muffler off your car.

right on. absolutely. +1. Agree. 100%. Don't change a thing.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • swerve
    edited August 2005
    I'm so tired of "**** you" music.

i wish everyone would just listen to barbara streisand.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    swerv wrote:
    i wish everyone would just listen to barbara streisand.
    :eek:

I am listening to some of her music right now :D j/k.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    i prefer music to **** to. its like "lets make love, not war, and hopefully not babies either".

i was getting railed last night - i said "getting railed" as opposed to "railing" because she's a fiesty one and wanted to be on top - and there's the "Ying Yang Twins" on the radio. I stopped in mid - um - ya - and changed the station.

Normally - I'll leave the windows up when i'm cranking - for one and only one reason, you get more pressure in the car and better acoustics with the windows up - i like to feel it in my bones like its going to break my neck and make my ears bleed. i usually drive around at almost full power all the time. you can hear it outside the truck, but it actually sounds kinda good, like if you sat in yoru car with it on but had ear muffs on at the same time.

i was at a dealer getting a catalytic converter warrantied out and the service guys are all lookin inside my truck and drooling and they one snot nosed jackass goes "so you listen to a lotta Nelly, lotta good hip hop? put some of that on for us - we wanna hear what this thing sounds like."

... so i put in "Chris LeDoux - Life is a Highway" and my famous last words were "It's Country, ****."
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Yup. Apparantly subwoofer are not synonymous with rap now. :rolleyes:

• swerve
    edited August 2005
    I'm starting to not like this hobby.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    I actually like rap :). Usually the more mellow stuff though.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • swerve
    edited August 2005
    blackmax... you got aim or anything of the sort... we could talk mellow rap sometime if you'd like
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Actually when they drive by at 5 mph blasting 155 db you should stand there and stare at them the whole way. If they stop and ask "whatchu lookin' at", kindly tell them, "well obviously youre wanting attention and for people to notice you, so I am."
    you want to get shot dont you?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    swerve wrote:
    blackmax... you got aim or anything of the sort... we could talk mellow rap sometime if you'd like

No, but will probably set it up soon.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    you want to get shot dont you?
    -Cody
    hehe, that is very true...

and i'm a fan of some rap, usually the more rythmic and peppy stuff, e.g. nelly and eminem, not the growly 'imma kill you' rap...

and i tend to laugh at the loud crappy systems as they go by, making sure the driver can see me giggling at his worthlessness...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    and then he in turns laughs at you for being a scrawny little white boy giggling...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    hey! i ain't scrawny... much... :p

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    You dont talk **** to a car load of dudes that look like Suge Knight and 50 Cent.

You talk **** to a car load of dudes that look like Neo. :p

• neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    yeah, yeah, let's all rip on the young white guy with no subs... :D

• denim
    denim Posts: 79
    edited August 2005
    I was so angry by the slanted topic that they basicly recycled from a previous show, it was so biased, I will rant more, but I already did a few times on other boards
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    with so much 'news' out there, and the proliferation of 24-hour news channels and what-have-you, they don't have any choice but to keep rehashing the same 2 dozen topics over and over and over...

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    they don't have any choice but to keep rehashing the same 2 dozen topics over and over and over...

... just like us. :cool:
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Ooooh, I actually saw about 3 minutes of that. I can't stand folks with that kind of attitude. I mean, I really, really wanna just beat pulp out of them. One of the black kids on there said, "Don't listen", like you pointed out, Mac. You can't 'not listen'. Then when the interviewer asked him about the older folks, he dismissed them as if old folks aren't important. As if they don't have a life. As if they aren't entitled to a life, and should just stay home, being old foggies until they shrivel up and die. That's what's wrong with this world. No respect for anyone, especially older people - people who have been there, done that, faced this, overcome that; people who have lived and learned and can teach and share what they've learned. If nothing else, that 'living and learning' means that they (the older folks) should be entitled to ruling the sidewalks/stoplights - not the young kids.

(/rant)

Oh, and if someone else said exactly what I said, BIG THUMBS UP - I didn't read everything in this thread.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520