Fry's Sale this weekend

Options
fredv
fredv Posts: 923
edited September 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
HK DPR-2005 - $499 ($1799 - $1300 instant gift rebate).

-fredv-
Post edited by fredv on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Thanks for posting that, because I was about to and got sidetracked at work.

That's a serious deal. Not a refurb either.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2005
    Options
    As new or refurb'd units?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    holy crap - that's a really good deal - that's like the LSi7 for $199 good deal, for anyone who's looking to snag one of these...
  • fredv
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Heading to Fry's and will report a couple hours later :D

-fredv-
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I wish I could find some reviews on this thing online. Money is a bit tight right now, but I'd love to have this for the second HT that doesn't exist yet and could possibly swing it.

Anyone seen any reviews of this thing, other than what's on Audio Review - any professional reviews?
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    As new or refurb'd units?
    Not a refurb

When did they do the LSi7s for $199????
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    a few months back, maybe close to a year ago now...
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    a few months back, maybe close to a year ago now...

Seeing that it looks like they aren't gonna carry the LSi series any longer, I'll never get to see a bargain like that again :(
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2005
    Options
    LSi7's were just under a year ago....I think Octoberish of last year.

I wonder why the drastic drop in price on this thing..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I've seen posts at AVS and Audioholics, IIRC, software/firmware issues...

The R15s are back @ $50

The Monitor pack w/PW10 and a Sony DE598 for $700.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • fredv
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Back with the HK. It is not refurb; however, Fry's always mixes the "returns" along with the brand new's. Look carefully to make sure you do pick an unopen/factory sealed box. Customer returns usually have a small return tag. I haven't decided whether I will keep it, but I have locked in the price and 2 weeks to think .......

-fredv-
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Fred,

Hurry up and tell us what you think. I'm looking at HK too. Maybe it will be son sale again in a couple of weeks. :D

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote:
    Fred,

Hurry up and tell us what you think. I'm looking at HK too. Maybe it will be son sale again in a couple of weeks. :D

Yeah let us know what you think of it asap before the sale ends, please. BTW, what is it rated at, wpc that is?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    120x7 I think...but remember it's that digital amp technology...so I'm personally taking any rating I see with a grain of salt until I HEAR it.

I'm gonna pick this up on the way home tonight, I'll report back.
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    120x7 I think...but remember it's that digital amp technology...so I'm personally taking any rating I see with a grain of salt until I HEAR it.

I'm gonna pick this up on the way home tonight, I'll report back.

Cool, even if it's not 120 high current watts, I would still have to guess that HK still measured it across the full range with all channels driven like they have always done. Let me know so I can decide if I want to put some of my speakers to use in a HT.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'm a bit skeptical of the whole digital amp thing, but at this price it's definitely worth a try
  • fredv
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Yeah let us know what you think of it asap before the sale ends, please. BTW, what is it rated at, wpc that is?

It is rated at 120wpc x 7. Can't set it up now as I am at work :D But based on the users reviews (not a lot) that I could find. It is rated at 4 of 5. Most of the complaints are, 1. Not enough inputs, 2. there is a delay in digital sound switch. Most like the sound arena, from HT's perspective. However, most of the reviewers paid a lot more than $499. Due to the space constraint, I am very like setting up for 5.1 instead of 7.1. Here are the speakers candidates:
    1. SDA SRS 2.3 or RTA-15TL for the fronts
    2. Depends on #1, surrounds choices are RTA-11TL and possibly RTA-15TL.
    3. Cs400 as the center.
    4. Until I get an upgrade, it will be Dahlquist 1200 for the time being.

I will write up a report once I get the chance to set it up. My in-laws are in town this weekend, so I may get extra help to move my speakers or have no time to touch them at all :rolleyes:

-fredv-
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The only drawback is that they'll be all over Ebay by the end of the weekend and the bargain will not be such a bargain anymore.
  • fredv
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    The only drawback is that they'll be all over Ebay by the end of the weekend and the bargain will not be such a bargain anymore.

It is true, but they will not be cheaper than Fry's when you add "profit" and shipping. FWIW, I paid $542.66 total, if I can sell one like this:

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/ele/90626093.html

I can make a good $100 :D
    If there is a Fry's nearby, go get one with your credit card. After the weekend, if you don't want it, bring it back. Fry's has real good return policy .....

-fredv-
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Yeah, that might be the thing to do.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    Options
    problem is, this is their Digital Path amplifier and it has absolutely zero nuts! I actually am not a fan of it what-so-ever. That's a great price for it (regularly over $2k) but I'd only buy one to sell it. But that's me.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'll write a more comprehensive review later, but for now I'll just say that this thing is NOT going back to the store or on Ebay anytime in my future...

I like it alot
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Congrats Polkmaniac.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Just when I decided to go 2 channel... :rolleyes: .
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ode
    ode Posts: 58
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I called the Frys in Duluth, GA they are sold out and won't be issuing rainchecks since it's a discontinued item. :eek: :( Oh well
  • ode
    edited August 2005
    Options
    On a hunch I took a ride over to Frys. Sure enough the floor model was still there. I got it with full retun priveleges and full manufacturer's warranty so if they get more in during the next month I can exchange it for one right out of the box. If not it will be fine just the way it is, and at a good price :D:p;)
  • ode
    edited August 2005
    Options
    fredv wrote:

I will write up a report once I get the chance to set it up. My in-laws are in town this weekend, so I may get extra help to move my speakers or have no time to touch them at all :rolleyes:

I have a question, did your receiver come with 1 remote or 2? According to the manual it looks like there should be 2, I only got 1. I can call the store I'm sure they have it laying around somewhere but I don't want to ask for something I'm not supposed to have.

I set mine up, it definitely kicks my speakers up a notch. My sub doesn't work because it's a cheap Sony that hooked up with 1 cable and the HK has different outputs. That won't be a problem in a couple of days I have a Dayton 12 inch sub on order. For now I can survive on 4 R50's and a CS1 it still sounds nice, a lot better than it did at 80 wpc
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2005
    Options
    When my store carried HK, several of their receivers came with two remotes. The second remote was for zone 2.
  • fredv
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hi Ode,

There are 2 remotes, main (big) and zone (small). Definitely call the store, ask them to knock off another $30-$40 if they can't it, and the missing one is the small zone 2 remote.

-fredv-
  • ode
    edited August 2005
    Options
    fredv wrote:
    Hi Ode,

There are 2 remotes, main (big) and zone (small). Definitely call the store, ask them to knock off another $30-$40 if they can't it, and the missing one is the small zone 2 remote.

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure, ty for the info.