New system - what do you think?

2»

Comments

• zgw8
    zgw8 Posts: 78
    edited March 2006
    Rats - my Momo 500.1 blew. It blows the 25A fuses. Called Kim in Tech Support and he said power supply is bad. Gotta send amp back for warranty. Sure doesn't sound the same without the subs kickin.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    that it doesn't, but polk will take care of you
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spookdogg
    spookdogg Posts: 1
    edited March 2006
    I've got the same truck w/ factory jbl... and thinking of similar upgrades, though it sounds like you went from a small upgrade of the sub/ and speakers to a fairly extensive setup with two amps, two subs, sound mats throughout, etc... (i know for most in the forum it doesn't sound extensive, but for someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of money or time...)

Anyway, like you started I'm just looking for sharper, crisp bass. The system from the factory is underpowered with the jbl amp (270 watts) supposedly powering the whole system, including a weak 90 watt (peak) 8" sub.

Since you've already been through this, is it possible to just upgrade the amp and 8" sub in the original enclosure, (space behind right rear seat)?

thanks
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    could you use the stock enclosure for an uprated sub? yep... should you? probably not, unless it's an oddly-overbuilt one... any aftermarket sub will be much more powerful than stock, and could wreck a flimsy enclosure... do you have - or are you willing to develop - any fiberglass skills?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, a stock sub box will likely be built too small and too flimsy for an aftermarket sub. You could stick a sub in there but it would probably sound like crap.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zgw8
    edited March 2006
    Ahhhhhhhh... My amp is on its way back from Polk Warranty. Faulty ICs. They said it was unusual but a mfg defect. Good to go. Man, I can't wait. My system sounds sooooooooooooo tight and clean. Just the right bass. Not the kind that you can hear from a block away, but the kind you can feel in the back of the drivers seat!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    zgw8 wrote:
    Just the right bass. Not the kind that you can hear from a block away, but the kind you can feel in the back of the drivers seat!
    That's where it counts! Good to hear you'll be getting your amp back in short order!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zgw8
    edited March 2006
    Yeah - Polk is great with their Customer Service. I speak to Kim quite a lot and he has been very helpful.

They got the amp last Friday and shipped it out today. Thats quick!
  • clsanchez77
    clsanchez77 Posts: 3
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to piggy back this thread if I could...
    I just picked up an '06 Tacoman Double Cab, TRD yesterday w/o the JBL.

I am looking to do some upgrades on the audio and I am write in line with zgw8 in the thinking. I'm looking for quality and clarity, not raw volume. So I am thining of also keeping the head unit, Polk MOMO MMC6500's in the front, MMC650's in the rear and a custom 10" enclosure from Scoche built for the '05-'07 tacomas.

My question is I was thinking of just using 1 4-channel amp, the MOMO C400.4. Front channels would have the component crossover and the rear channels would have a tri-way crossover to drive the 6-1/2 and bridge below 100 Hz for the 10" sub.

Would this setup work?
    Also, are the Scoche setups http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i45pOnLYLCK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=142TATMA05 any good?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    Why not leave out the rear speakers completely? Thats a rather small cabin so decently powered components are more than enough. As for scoche,thats a glorified plastic box, I'd look elsewhere but you may have to go with that one depending on if any other companies make one for that truck.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • clsanchez77
    edited November 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Why not leave out the rear speakers completely? Thats a rather small cabin so decently powered components are more than enough. As for scoche,thats a glorified plastic box, I'd look elsewhere but you may have to go with that one depending on if any other companies make one for that truck.
    -Cody

Your not the first person to say that, Tacotunes makes a better box and I may go that route since I have concensus that the Scoche is crap.

I often have people in the back seat and I would like to give them some decent tunes as well. The front channels would have to compete with the sub to give full range in the back. So I plan to keep the 6 1/2's in the rear. I would consider this option though if I had an access cab.

Chris
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2006
    Your not the first person to say that, Tacotunes makes a better box and I may go that route since I have concensus that the Scoche is crap.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Scosche is crap, but you could definitely do better as far as quality goes. It depends on what kind of sound you're after (and what you are willing to pay to get it).

My brother runs two sealed Scosche 10" in his truck (powered by an Alpine monoblock), and two sealed Scosche 12" in his T-Bird (powered by a bridged Scosche Class A/B). Having listened to both systems, they are pretty good in the "bang for the buck" sense, especially when you get them discounted from the distributor as he did.

The two sealed tens sound decent in a custom box- I believe it was two chambers approx. one cubic foot each- fairly clean and tight for $100 or so spent on the pair. The twelves actually hit surprisingly hard, and would be much cleaner sounding if they weren't sharing the airspace in the custom box. I believe they were $110 or so for the pair.

I'd describe them as SQL- OK SQ and OK SPL for the price, not competition quality but OK for a cheap daily driver system. That said, if they were in a plastic enclosure of dubious quality, they'd probably sound alot worse than they do. Installation is very important, and for subs the right enclosure makes a world of difference over something "in the ballpark".

If it was me, though, I'd look at the Polk db series over Scosche.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, Scoshe makes pretty solid accessories but Id stay away from their speakers. However their amps aint half bad. Id still take Profile anyday for budget amps tho.

DB speakers are the best budges speakers out there. Theyre dirt cheap but will hang with anything in their class and give a good run to speakers in a higher price point.

The DB subs are even better! Id confidently stack them up against subs costing quite a bit more!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • clsanchez77
    edited November 2006
    If it was me, though, I'd look at the Polk db series over Scosche.

I'll do better than that, I am accomodating Polk MOMO all the way around, except maybe the sub but defienlty including the Polk amp. The sub may be SOCHE because of the custom fit enclosure. From what I am seeing, none of the Polk 10" subs will fit in any box that can be accomodated by a Tacoma fit box; however, an 8" would fit.

So my current choice is a Scoshe 10" in their 'factory fit' ABS box or a Polk MOMO 8" in a custom made Tacotunes box, and I only say custom made becuase their standard box is for a 10".

Obviously, a 10" will add more to the system than an 8", but keep in mind, I want the system to run off 1 amp for all 5 speakers. So I am thinking fully loaded C400.4 with a tri-way crossover on the rear may drive an 8" better than a 10".

Chris