New system - what do you think?

zgw8
zgw8 Posts: 78
edited November 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all - new to this forum but been using polks back to the early 80s with my Polk 10 Monitors!

I just bought a new 2005 Toyota Tacoma doublecab. I paid $370 for the upgraded JBL stereo with amp/sub. It sounds pretty good but ready to make it better. Here are my plans:

Leave the headunit as is. Don't want to mess with the dash.
db690s in the front doors
db650s in the rear doors
above will keep stock configuration

Change sub to a SoundSplinter RL-i8 when available
Alpine MRP-M350 amp to power sub.

Rattle Trap sound deadner in doors/back of cab.

Will this sound good? Great?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Erik
Post edited by zgw8 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    This will sound very good but you can do better.

If youre willing to get an amp you can move up to the Momo series which is an awesome speaker.

Even better, you could go with a set of components like the MMC6500 but that would be a little more complicated install.

Thats a spunky little amp, it makes a little over 400 watts at 2 ohms. Good buy for a Class D amp under $200.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    I can get the db speakers for $199 for both the 690s and the 650s. I don't want to spend a lot and don't want to tear into the dash. I want to maintain basically plug and play. Since there is already an amp/sub, I think I can achieve this. Will the setup I have mentioned be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in sound quality? I think I can do it all for $500.

Thanks for your comments.
    MacLeod wrote:
    This will sound very good but you can do better.

If youre willing to get an amp you can move up to the Momo series which is an awesome speaker.

Even better, you could go with a set of components like the MMC6500 but that would be a little more complicated install.

Thats a spunky little amp, it makes a little over 400 watts at 2 ohms. Good buy for a Class D amp under $200.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2005
    Yes, even the db series should be a significant upgrade from the stock Toyota stuff, even if it is the JBL.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Definitely it will be a big improvement. The DB speakers are the best entry level speakers on the market. You cant beat em for the money.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Definitely it will be a big improvement. The DB speakers are the best entry level speakers on the market. You cant beat em for the money.

So, I just found out that the OEM headunit puts out variable power to the stock speakers (i.e. 2ohm, 3 ohm, and 4 ohm). Therefore, I am going to have to bypass and amp the speakers. Crutchfield already shipped the db series. Couple of questions:

In a side by side comparison, are the MMC series going to sound that much better for the difference in price?

I am thinking of going with a 5 channel amp for the speakers/sub. Any recommendations on amps? I am thinking of the Memphis 1300 with a JL Audio 8W3. Are the Polk subs worth looking at?

Thanks,

Erik
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    I was fixing to say, when dealing with "premium" stereo systems, you usually have to replace the whole thing or hope someone makes a harness that will bypass whats needed to be bypassed. I personally think the MOMOs do make up for the difference in price, but then again I have $2000 worth of just front speakers in 2 cars so what my opinion on justifying the cost is going to be different than anyone elses.

why not get an aftermarket head unit? itd be much easier.

i wouldnt look at the w3, or in that case, anything from JL. talk about the most overpriced, overhyped brand in car audio...thats JL. The w3s are especially bad, my least favorite sub they make. They have a very noisy motor. I would definitely take a look at Polk's momo series or maybe something like a kicker 8L5 if you want it a little louder without sacrificing room
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2005
    My sister's boyfriend has an MRD-M301 and the SS sub combo, which is close to what you initially were thinking of getting. All I can say is that I was VERY impressed with the sound and output that this combo puts out. He has the sub in a 0.35 cubic foot enclosure in his Jeep Cherokee.

I like JL Audio's subs, but I would wait until they have the next batch of RL-i's available. These little subs can almost move 18mm in one direction, all while sounding very good.

My sister has some DB6500 components and some DB650 coaxials that I will be installing in her car after she puts an alarm in (I will be installing a whole system in her car). I wonder where she got the idea to get those :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    JL makes some of the best gear on the market. Ignore the bandwagon JL bashers.

Definitely check out the Momo subs. They are excellet subs and cant be beat for the money.

I agree with Cody that the Momo speakers are much better and worth the money. Not only do you get better SQ but you get better build quality and crossovers as well.

• zgw8
    edited August 2005
    Any feedback on a good 5 channel amp? I was thinking perhaps the Memphis 1300?

MacLeod wrote:

Definitely check out the Momo subs. They are excellet subs and cant be beat for the money.

I agree with Cody that the Momo speakers are much better and worth the money. Not only do you get better SQ but you get better build quality and crossovers as well.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    unrealii has one for sale, it is an MTX Thunder895.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/member.php?userid=57486

Kicker makes good amps. I have owned a few over the years. My last one lasted me 8 years with no problems, until this last couple of months. The signal module port started acting up and the rear channels would cut on and off. This was partly my fault though as I would kind of force it in there due to the lack of room, and me being lazy and not unscrewing the amp to properly put it in.

Here is a Kicker KX700.5 :
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UxQwO8FTuLs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=2064KX7005
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    So, I should send the db speakers back and spend another $150 on the MMCs?

Re the sub, should I get one or two 8" or one 10"? Dual voice coil? Explain your recommendation please.

MacLeod wrote:

• zgw8
    edited August 2005
    If I get the MMCs all the way around and can find another Polk product for $35 at Crutchfield, I get a free 10" Momo sub! Doesn't that sound like the way to go?
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    I hate this. I am in Aspen and not many places to go touch, smell, listen, etc to gear. I am going to do the following:

MMC690
    MMC650
    Alpine MRV-F450
    Still undecided on sub
    David Navone 4-channel LOC NE-774V (bypass adapter for HU)

Any suggestions for sub in an '05 Tacoma double cab where space is limited would be appreciated. I don't listen to stuff that you can hear two blocks away. I just love good clean bass that you can feel and hear.

Suggestions please....

I appreciate your feedback thus far!
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    Good suggestions have been given for the sub.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    Yes, but one 8" or two? Or one 10"? Which size and why? I know its probably personal preferance but want to hear it from the pros.
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    Just got off the phone with Kim at Polk who seems to really know his stuff. Here is what I am going to do:

MMC6500 - front doors
    MMC650 - rear doors
    C500.1 to power a MMC2104 10" sub (free from Crutchfield)
    C400.4 to power door speakers.

I think that setup will work nicely together. I am more inclined for roughly the same price to go with the Polk amps vs say an Alpine 5 channel or Memphis 5 channel.

I decided to go with the MMC6500s in the front doors vs the MMC690s. Isn't round generally/always better?

I'll keep you all posted. Should sound great even with the OEM JBL headunit.

Erik
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    zgw8 wrote:
    Just got off the phone with Kim at Polk who seems to really know his stuff. Here is what I am going to do:

MMC6500 - front doors
    MMC650 - rear doors
    C500.1 to power a MMC2104 10" sub (free from Crutchfield)
    C400.4 to power door speakers.

Nice!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    indeed, kim knows his stuff really well, and indeed, that is a nice setup... also indeed, round is better (though 6x9 provides more bass) and components are better than coaxials
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2005
    Kim did a great job, I was gonna say get some comps for the front doors.

I almost got an 05 taco earlier this year. They are awesome trucks but I hated the way the headunit as built into the dash and there STILL isn't an aftermarket kit for it. (various other factors too)

So I went with a 4Runner... heh.
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    Guys - I just got off the phone with a guy that does custom sub-boxes/amp racks. He is building me one of Birch/MDF that will later accomodate another 8" if needed for $175.

Issue - the overall depth of the MM2104 10" sub is too deep for the truck :eek:

I caught Crutchfield just before my order shipped and they swapped the free 10" with the MM2084 8". Now, I don't like to impress the folks 2 blocks away with bass but I LOVE my bass. Clean and tight that is. Is one 8" going to do it for me with the C500.1 amp?

FEEEDBACK please..........................
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2005
    Where the hell are the pics???
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    clean and tight is why you have an 8 :). the 500.1 will easily overpower that sub, watch the gains... the upside of this is, you made it real easy for yourself to go to 2 subs, which i'd reccommend...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    Airplay355 wrote:
    Where the hell are the pics???

Pics? Heck, the gear is in the mail and the box just got ordered. I'll post pics soon unless you want pics of my totally blinged out '05 Tacoma?
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    yep! :D

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited August 2005
    Man people charge a crap load for boxes... lol

Amazing...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Round is NOT better than oval. You take a good quality (not some $50 set of Kraco) 6x9s and theyll outperform a comparable round speaker everytime. I owned a set of the MMC690's and will put them up against any $200 round coaxial you can find.

Same with the awesome MB Quart Reference 6x9. Its a $400 component set and is as good as any round speaker out there.

Generally a round speaker will be more rigid than an oval one but if the construction is high quality as in the Polk or MBQ, youll get just as clean and undistorted sound out of an oval as a round but with more and better low frequency response.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    So how's this set-up coming along? Certainly looks like you've got it planned out just fine. I'll bet ya one pretty penny you're lovin' it!

Where are those pics?!
    :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zgw8
    edited March 2006
    WOW - it has been a long time since I posted but I just got my system installed. The sub boxes and amp rack were coated in a nice dark gray bed liner material. The entire cab of my '05 Tacoma DC was sound deadened with the 80Mil Rattle Trap from FatMat. I couldn't figure out why the lack of base but got it after a while. I bypassed the filters in both the 400.4 and the 500.1 and used the head unit instead. Man, does this system sound sweet. The MMC6500s are amazing speakers for the price. The MMC650s that I put in the rears sound ok. Based on the setup, the tweeters don't function but thats ok since I didn't want to pull my soundstage to the rear. They just add some midbass. The two 8" Momo subs are very tight. If you want to hear some serious kick drum, go get the new Jack Johnson "curious George" and play track #9.

anyway, I am thoroughly impressed with the way things turned out.

Peace,

zgw8
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2006
    glad it turned out well for ya! do you have pics?

• deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    Yeah man where are the pics?!?!

If cardomain ever ships my order Ill put up pics of the fedex guy.

Im also gonna lean towards a pair of 8" if and when I put this together and actually get to listen to it!!