C300.2 - Why the price drops?

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Isn't it a god thing to have the speakers higher up on the doors, that way the soundstage would be higher? Or is it because people's knees get in the way?

Neo's right. You want the speakers as low in the doors as possible and perferable in the kick panels. This way the distance between the two to your ears is more equal.

Tweeters ideally should go in the kicks as well but some, including me, put them in the dash to bring the soundstage to eye level. This can skew your left/right imaging a bit so its a tradeoff.

Yo Thom! You guys ever decide on what youre going to use as a demo car for the SR's? Jaguar right! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    you can use my car! i like that idea! as long as i get to keep it, of course :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    ... *dun dun dun* *drums and other sorts of gong type instruments*... *dun dun dun* - polk will be using my beat to **** 88 power ram as their demo car for the SR's...

... and then i woke up... next to nicole kidman...

... and then i really woke up ... next to a fat cross dresser.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • yfzjen
    yfzjen Posts: 4
    edited August 2005
    I just picked up one of these amps for $140. Thought it was a pretty good deal. Then in my search for the Polk MM2084DVC subs I need I thought that well cardomain.com was a good deal for $90 each and free shipping. Thought before I ordered I would call around and see what I could find. Called a local Tweeters location in the dealers locator, guy made me an awesome deal and worth the 80 mile round trip drive to get them over mail ordering.
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    ... *dun dun dun* *drums and other sorts of gong type instruments*... *dun dun dun* - polk will be using my beat to **** 88 power ram as their demo car for the SR's...

... and then i woke up... next to nicole kidman...

... and then i really woke up ... next to a fat cross dresser.
    this sounds like experience talking... :D

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    yfzjen wrote:
    I just picked up one of these amps for $140. Thought it was a pretty good deal. Then in my search for the Polk MM2084DVC subs I need I thought that well cardomain.com was a good deal for $90 each and free shipping. Thought before I ordered I would call around and see what I could find. Called a local Tweeters location in the dealers locator, guy made me an awesome deal and worth the 80 mile round trip drive to get them over mail ordering.

Good for ya bro. I always prefer dealing with a shop instead of internet dealers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I almost ended up buying 3 of these to run my entire system since they were going for $150 a piece. Then it hit me on how much fun I would have trying to hide these somewhere in my trunk. Spec wise, they seem to be pretty good. I had bought one from frys, but returned it when I bought my new eclipse 5 channel amp. I scanned the birth sheet just for personal reference.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:

Yo Thom! You guys ever decide on what youre going to use as a demo car for the SR's? Jaguar right! :D

Nobody's OK'd my Ferrari idea yet, so the first new install that will feature them will be the Magnum we're starting now.

We just finished a Magnum with a full db system, check it out on the installs page:

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/installs/viewpolk.php?id=26
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    The next Polk vehicle should definitely be a 2006 Mustang GT. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2005
    Ford's are ghey!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Are you seriously considering a Ferrari?! Like what? The new F430? The 575M Maranello? Or the previous version of the Maranello (believe it was 360)? Or the 360 Modena? Or Spyder? Or the new Scaglietti (I hope not....it's the ugliest thing...)? Or the *gasp* Enzo? Any of 'em (except for the Scaglietti) would be awesome!!

Josh wrote:
    Ford's are ghey!

Amen. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    yeah, like they could get an enzo... even ignoring the $700,000 price, you actually have to pass a background check of sorts to get your hands on one... i.e. you must promise not to do anything ghetto or retarded to the car, not to sell it without the factory's consent, stuff like that...

i do like the ferrari idea, that'd be frickin hott... has that ever been done as a show car??

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2005
    All the Enzo's have been sold. If you wanted one, it would probably cost you at least $1.5 to make it worth while for one of the owners to let theirs go. Besides...I wouldn't have the balls to tear one apart.
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2005
    Josh wrote:
    Ford's are ghey!

...and Honda Accords rule, right? :rolleyes:
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    the hybrid accords are pretty cool, yep... i like my swedish engineering, personally, though :D

• audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    *all the info on the Enzo*

DUH! Their MSRP was $640,000, you had to be a loyal Ferrari customer, you had to go through special driving training, and of course they're all sold. Come on guys; I wasn't being serious.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    hey, man, you're wrecking my vibe, here... i'm imagining myself cruising in an enzo with SR speakers... mmm... add the hot babe in the passenger seat... and what's she doing! you can't do that while i'm driving, i'll wreck! hold on, let me pull over...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    Thom, I like the Magnum DB install - that looks really cool. The amount of glass work you guys do is ridiculously huge isn't it? It comes out looking like a million bucks but its gotta get aggravating after a while. I really like that car though, that's nice and clean lookin.

Good idea for a demo car though - something small and challenging, everybody's done cars with open spaces, lets see some itty bitty installs:

1- a standard cab, short bed, pickup truck - any of the big 3 - nothing in the bed, everything in the cab, all you have is under the seat and the 1 foot behind the seat. i would love to see what a real demo shop could do with something like that, as opposed to what us consumers end up doing with limited resources.
    2- Chrysler Crossfire
    3- Chevy SSR (the el-camino lookin car)
    4- an old deuce coupe, a "Dick Tracy" type car.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    and what's she doing! you can't do that while i'm driving, i'll wreck! hold on, let me pull over...

... readers, what she's actually doing is determining his monthly payment, with interest, to keep the collections agents from repossessing the afore mentioned enzo ferrari.

it oft times gives a man a coronary.

lets see... say you got a deal, 750 grand new or whatever... 750,000 / 120 months (10 year loan) = lots of cash per month.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2005
    EWWW!!!!! A Magnum? Could you have found a more butt-uglier car?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2005
    You're the first person I've heard that doesn't like the Magnum.
  • Thom
    edited August 2005
    Exactly, it's not like it's an SSR or something.

Or even worse (possibly), the new HHR. Or as Autoweek put it, the "Me Too Cruiser."
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2005
    Josh wrote:
    You're the first person I've heard that doesn't like the Magnum.

The size of the engine isn't everything.

I like the 300C and it is mechanically the same car. If the Magnum didn't look like a fat guy sat on a Dodge Ram pickup, I'd be more inclined to like it.

I think the Charger looks like hell too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Thom
    edited August 2005
    We didn't even get the Hemi.

I don't like the 300 or the Charger all that much, but the Magnum is cool. Especially for a station wagon. I'd take it over any SUV.
  • PolkThug
    edited August 2005
    I had no idea how big the market was for hopped up station wagons.

IMO, the Magnum sux.

I'd rather they bring back the Cuda. (and not another 4-door Charger cluster[bleep])
  • yfzjen
    yfzjen Posts: 4
    edited August 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the Magnum either. Regardless its still too station wagony looking. The Charger looks like a Magnum that got rear ended or something. They might as well add some wood grain to the Magnum for full station wagon authenticity. I'd rather the car manufacturers bring back an honest god muscle car instead of taking a classic named muscle car like they do and turning it into moms grocery getter. What's next the rebirth of the Nova, Chevelle, Barcuda and in a V6 format. Apparently Dodge doesnt car about MPG anyways as evident by the poor mileage and HP# on some of their vehicles. Heck when I was truck shopping I considered a Dakota, but considering poor MPG characteristics and the fact that their 4.7 V8 had less HP(230) and Torque than the 4.0 V6(245) in the Toyota, needless to say there's a Toyota in the driveway now.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    the original chargers came mostly in 6 bangers and 318's. the infamous 440 magnum's and 426 hemi's were limited production. we just "think" its what a charger "must have had back in the day" because it's what we remember as being awesome and cool about the car. in reality - 318 chargers outsold all others due to price and availability and 6 bangers were base models.

magnum ain't so bad - it's a station wagon, yes - with a lot of balls and looks a lot better than the old "Cutlass Caprice Wagon".

*sigh* - i dunno, the more i look at the charger, the more i like it. its all about accepting something new and giving up on the past.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    and giving up on the past.

Never! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!!
    NOTHING will ever replace my beloved '69 Camaro!!! (or '68 or '67...as I don't actually have it yet...lol)

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Well, I get to look out my window all day at these beautiful Magnums and Chargers and I'll take either one anyday. As a matter of fact, when my 4.7 V8 Dakota's lease is up, I'll probably end up getting a SRT-8 Charger or Magnum. I dunno, but seating for four(five if a tad thinner) very healthy adults and 0-60 in 5 sec flat just has an appeal to me.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    Hmm. I think I can relate to that appeal, too. However, seating for two (or three, if you're looking at a McLaren) and fast acceleration is, admittedly, more appealing.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]