What DIY projects have you been thinking about?

Options

Comments

• louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I am in the first stages of building a diy projector with a 10,000-20,000 hour bulb so I can watch a 100 inch tv all the time.
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2005
    Options
    louthewiz wrote:
    I am in the first stages of building a diy projector with a 10,000-20,000 hour bulb so I can watch a 100 inch tv all the time.

Are you using plans or Swag (Scientific Wild A$$ed Guess) method? This could be a good project.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What bulb and source are you going to use lou? I thought about making one that used a 7" lcd with a metal halide bulb but decided not to because a lot of the parts are hard to find in canada.
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited August 2005
    Options
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I just installed a fan in my desk.
    Here is my story: my computer desk has a compartment in it where my computer sits. Since it is in a mostly enclosed location, it gets pretty warm. So I installed a fan in the side of the desk with a switch on the front so I can vent the desk. It is pretty cool if I must say so myself.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    Options
    I am finishing up the design of a SDA arrangement with 8 stereo, and 8 dimensional woofers, 2 tweeters, and 4 PR's per cabinet. both arrays will be divided into separate chambers so I can run in pure stereo mode (just the 8 stereo woofers) for movies. I am going to electronically control the SDA affect via combining stereo, out of phase l/r swap, and crossover frequencies with tri amplification per speakers. I may also work into the electronics being able to send just the LFE to the dimensional drivers when in "movie mode".
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Refinishing my SRS 1.2TL's in Black Lacquer & African Padauk (no grille materials, except on the removable front grilles). Check out my link in my signature.

I can't wait to see the results. I am thinking of doing mine in cherry or mahogany. I'll need 3 sheets to do the job so I can't go as fancy as yours. Keep us updated :)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    ben62670,
    When you finish your speakers, could you post some pics? I am very interested in your custom design.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    ben62670,
    When you finish your speakers, could you post some pics? I am very interested in your custom design.

Will do. I have done 2 different cabinets so far. They have been learning experiences. I am really taking the time to get the plans done right for this project, and have had help from some fellow Polkies, and CS on this project. I am still in need of a few more drivers, but I am well on my way to getting the actual build rolling. These suckers are going to be about 7 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and a little deeper than the originals. I expect them to weigh around 300 lbs when finished:eek: . With all my back, and neck injury's it makes it hard to do these by myself. In a couple weeks my friend should have the time to help me make some cuts, and assist with the assembly.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Here are some picture of my in-desk fan install. It's not pretty, but it's inside the foot well of my desk, so it's not in public view anyway. It's a pretty cool idea, I wanted a fun but short project, and the whole thing only cost my $6 anyway.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Mod (1) Carver M1.5t.
    Mod Rega Apollo.
    Change amp in Polk PSW1000.
    Design/build wall mounted cable isolators.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Refinishing my SRS 1.2TL's in Black Lacquer & African Padauk (no grille materials, except on the removable front grilles). Check out my link in my signature.

Looks like quite a project. That African paduak will look great against the black lacquer. Keep us updated, I'd love to follow along so I have something to go on when/if I decide to redo my 2B's.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Options
    On my list:
    - sell current AV stand, move bedroom stand to 2-channel rig, get a cabinet for bedroom gear
    - replace speaker feet with some cool brass feet.
    - replace tweeters in my RT600s with cash I get from
    - replace the LCD on my digital camera that I've managed to break twice in the last two months.
    - sell all my random audio gear as my 2-channel rig is finished, gear-wise.
    - move kitchen table out as it's getting in the way of my kitchenette 2-channel system. Eat on the floor.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Options
    1. rebuild crossovers for sda2's(when I get the money)
    2. Build a pr sub ""
    3. Center channel using 4 mw(with bucking magnets) & tweet from crs
    4. Replace poly switches on sda's(which I ordered today)
    5. Build custom enclosures for my van for my component set.
    6. Build a tube amp.< most likely won't happen, after time involved would be cheaper to just buy 1.
    I can go on and on.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I want to dynomat my whole apartment! And Egg crate Foam!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    edited June 2007
    Options
    1--Wire and then setup the HT in our new house. IF we can ever get our current house sold. Anyone want to buy a SWEET vacation home in beautiful Florissant, Co?

2--Sonosub

:rolleyes:
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Options
    seeclear wrote: »
    1--Wire and then setup the HT in our new house. IF we can ever get our current house sold. Anyone want to buy a SWEET vacation home in beautiful Florissant, Co?

2--Sonosub

I have built a sonosub. If you need any help let me know. If you use the sonosub.exe program it does not calculate the boxes very well. I recommend WinISD instead to get the volume right, and then use sonosub.exe to build the tube right. I learned the hard way:o

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Three sets of SDA crossovers. All with Sonicaps and Mills.
    Carl

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Bass traps and a custom sub enclosure.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • seeclear
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have built a sonosub. If you need any help let me know. If you use the sonosub.exe program it does not calculate the boxes very well. I recommend WinISD instead to get the volume right, and then use sonosub.exe to build the tube right. I learned the hard way:o

Ben

What haven't you built?;) ;);)

I followed the thread where you built those big-**** SDA mofos.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, it could be a year or more before I can get started on that project, but I sure appreciate the offer of advice and will definitely take you up on it when the time comes.

Did you (or anyone else, for that matter) ever consider suspending the sonosub from the ceiling? There was another thread that brought up the value of raising a sub off the floor, and suspending it would solve the problem of instability of a big, tall sonosub. Finding the best spot could be a challenge, tho.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Options
    What haven't you built?;) ;);)

I followed the thread where you built those big-**** SDA mofos.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, it could be a year or more before I can get started on that project, but I sure appreciate the offer of advice and will definitely take you up on it when the time comes.

Did you (or anyone else, for that matter) ever consider suspending the sonosub from the ceiling? There was another thread that brought up the value of raising a sub off the floor, and suspending it would solve the problem of instability of a big, tall sonosub. Finding the best spot could be a challenge, tho.

Suspending the sub would be a good idea. It would help decouple it from the floor for sure that way. I could do that with my homebrew SDA's too, but I would need a houst, or come along for that. You have me thinking;)

I need to do a couple of things anyways like
    Acoustic treatment
    audio rack
    fine tune tweeters
    fix Adcom GFA-585
    maybe someday clean room:o
    Thanks
    Ben
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I was thinking about building a hot chick like they did in the movie Weird Science. Does anyone know of a kit on the market? :p
    V
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    Options
    venomclan wrote: »
    I was thinking about building a hot chick like they did in the movie Weird Science. Does anyone know of a kit on the market? :p
    V

E-bay.

I got mine on ebay but she doesn't look anything like the movie chick.

I don't remember her getting blown up before she started talking?:D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Skynut wrote: »
    E-bay.

I got mine on ebay but she doesn't look anything like the movie chick.

I don't remember her getting blown up before she started talking?:D

LOL, I think that model was called Cooperative Cathy. A friend of mine brought one to my bachelor party :D
    V
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I am currently working on my daylight basements. ITs about 700 AQ/FT. On side will be my HT. Next week I get my dedicated circuits run down there. In 2 weeks Ill put up the insulation and then Ill have my drywaller come in. By the end of summer I hope its done. It'll them move my HT down there and install a 1080P front projector.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited July 2007
    Options
    OK lets see here
    1. build either a push/push isobaric 18" enclosure or two simple ported or vented. Always wanted to do an isobaric but its hard to give and 18" for that. under the stairs where my velo 15 is at now. ( and slide this all by the wife, the construction that is minor wall trimmings involved to put 2 boxes. with one isobaric I dont have to change the hole for it. but man when it hits your gonna notice it.
    2. Vent my entertainment center at the top with a couple fans , Ive already completed the shelves being drilled for ventillation, now the wife wants to finnaly put glass in the doors,

3. I wanna start my 400 horse 350 so I can drop it in my RX-7 and go play with the little rice burners again.....hehehehe wanna play lil boy?
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    OK lets see here
    1. build either a push/push isobaric 18" enclosure or two simple ported or vented. Always wanted to do an isobaric but its hard to give and 18" for that. under the stairs where my velo 15 is at now. ( and slide this all by the wife, the construction that is minor wall trimmings involved to put 2 boxes. with one isobaric I dont have to change the hole for it. but man when it hits your gonna notice it.
    2. Vent my entertainment center at the top with a couple fans , Ive already completed the shelves being drilled for ventillation, now the wife wants to finnaly put glass in the doors,

3. I wanna start my 400 horse 350 so I can drop it in my RX-7 and go play with the little rice burners again.....hehehehe wanna play lil boy?

I saw a nice V8 conversion that used a 302. It was done professionally. Has to be a ton of fun. Mine was a ported 12a with a Delorto side draft, and it hauled butt. It was just over 200hp with a 12,500 redline, and a Center Force II clutch. It did a calculated 145 of a flat road. Fun to do nice tight donuts in. All racing beat parts.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ben you have to be joking , man even tho I have never met you we would have to had to been friends if we had. I just sold my rotary and tranny . Local porta rican did my motor 13b ported all race springs and seals and some rican know how. The motor was set up for side drafts and it performed great, but for what Im looking for I could have 400 ft lbs of torque for the same money. Thats what sold me especially after seeing the weight distrobution didnt get thrown out the window , Ive got the block the forged crank ,the rods , the roller lifters and spyder kit. eyeing a t-56 now , probally go hypertetic, and afr heads ,something streetable cam whise.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I grew up in a small town called Willimantic next to Uconn in Storrs. It used to be the biggest thread mill in the US. A bunch of Puerto Ricans moved there because they didn't need to speak English. So I saw plenty of Celicas, and RX7's, and RX2's in my days. I have never done donuts in any vehicle like an RX7. Those things can do such a tight donuts it feels like the Tea Cup ride in Disney World. I used to do them till the smoke was so thick I couldn't see where i was going. My friend and I used to go out into farm country, and find the steepest hills we could find, get up to the top, go in reverse as fast as I could, push in the clutch to go even faster, then I would redline it and dump the clutch in second gear. The thing would be going back wards so fast we could see the J strips in front of us. Ah to be young and dumb. That little 1198cc engine was the little engine that could. They are real tough, but extended high speed over 130 would prematurely wear out the output bushing at the rear of the tranny. Yeah we would have had a blast. I would like to do a dune buggy with one of those engines. No valve train to worry about. Only three major moving parts. I allways wanted to do the Marriah wide bodykit. I saw one, and it lookedlike an imsa car. Are you Puerto Rican?
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • seeclear
    edited July 2007
    Options
    THE HOUSE SOLD!!! Well, pending the buyer getting their financing and all, but we are supposed to close on July 27. So, I guess I better start working on the wiring diagrams.

Anyone have any suggestions for electrical isolation of the Home Theater? Put all the components on the same breaker? 20 amp circuit enough, or should I make them put 30? I may at some point go with a pre- and separate amps, but for the time being the onkyo will be it. The parts--
    Onkyo HT-R530 (110 w/ch 8 ohms, it is the AVR that comes in the HTS780 HTIB)
    Polk CS 245i center
    Polk R300's front
    Polk R150's surrounds and rear surrounds
    InFocus SP4805 with 80" screen
    Gonna add that sonosub as soon as I can!;)

Really want to avoid those ground loops!:mad:

2--Sonosub