What DIY projects have you been thinking about?

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited July 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I find there is way more time to think about DIY projects than there is to actually do them.

Anyway, stuff on my mind is:

*A wall mounted turntable shelf. Has a second shelf for the preamp. Should be medium weight, steel square tubing and spiked mdf shelves.

*A brass or steel clamping ring which goes around the TT platter to hold the outside edge of the record against the platter. Next best thing to vacuum, which I can't afford.

*Jolida capacitor and resistor mods.

*SDA crossover upgrade.

Lots of other ideas but the ones listed above will take me forever. :)

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have been thinking about begining to start thinking about getting into DIY ;)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,357
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Finishing the wet bar so the family room in the lower level is 100% done. But I lost my ambition somewhere about the time I reclothed the SRS 2's.....can't seem to find it. My last year has been a big DIY around here......
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Crossover upgrades and polyswitches for my SDA 2Bs
    Grills for my Mon 10As
    Upgrade binding posts on virtually all of my speaks
    I'd also like to get an integrated tube amp kit and try to find the time to assemble it.
    and......Hmmmmmmm....several others
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Build a box for the monster (Atlas 15) in the pics below.

After that I plan on making some acoustic panels for the man cave.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Make Russ some Fostex FE166E enclosures...

Finish up my other BP10B enclosure eventually...

Sell enclosures to people to busy to make their own! ;) hint..hint..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Just finished felting my speakers.

I am currently working on building a TNT Audio Flexy, just waiting for paint to dry right now actually. Sould be done by tommarow.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I've always wanted to "mod" my Parasound HCA-1500A 2 ways:
    1. Hardwire/bypass the bridging switch (I'll never run it bridged)
    2. Hardwire/bypass the 2 output knobs on back (I always use full output)

...maybe one of these days when I'm bored....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited August 2005
    Options
    1. Crossover Upgarde for SDA1B
    2. Build a Sealed Sub
    3. Refinish the SDA1B Cabs
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Getting ready to DIY a new, bigger screen for my front projector. I begin the demo of the old one tonight. I'll also be DIY'ing a new projector mount I picked up the 1" galvanized pipe today at Lowe's.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    Options
    One day when I find myself a decent cheap slide projector I will make a 40 to 55" ldc projection tv out of it.

Get these audax speakers running full range in some boxes.

Actually finish up my diy sub (just have to paint and make perty)

Damn, tryrrthg how can you let that thing sit there??? My enclosure was pretty much built before mine even got to my house :)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,357
    edited August 2005
    Options
    This unfinsihed 40' x 14' lower level kept me busy for a year. While I had some help from friends, did most of the work myself. That allowed me to afford some upgrades, like the remote controlled direct vent fireplace and in-wall/ceiling surround sound. About a month of that time was redoing the upstairs bath with a whirlpool tub and shower spa. Once the lower level was finished, access to that drain would have been difficult.

The flooring is engineered wood, floating on a concrete slap with vapor barrier and muffler under it. The Oak layer is thick, allowing for up to three refinishings.

I had removed a window in the lower level to get a large one piece shower stall in. LOL What a project....

Got a wet bar to finish yet too. So I'm not too anxious to start any DIY stuff for a while. I find myself SOMA in front of my SDA's lately.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I want to make a Death star sub, the one on e-bay was pretty cool.
    I also want to design and build an audio rack with isolation for each component. It would be built out of Aluminium with Copper accents and glass sides and door.
    I also would like to seal it and use a cooling fan to pull air through a filter so as to keep the dust from building up on the inside.
    But alas as Madmax said "I find there is way more time to think about DIY projects than there is to actually do them." so for now I just dream.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    Options
    michael_w wrote:
    Damn, tryrrthg how can you let that thing sit there??? My enclosure was pretty much built before mine even got to my house :)
    Because the list of projects on our house is LOOOONNNGGG! I'm also going to run into some wife acceptance factors with the monster. Hoping to build it out of furniture grade plywood so it looks nice.

I just bought a table saw last week so I'm going crazy with anticipation. :D

Plus I already had a nice DIY sub to begin with so I didn't NEED to build anything. Now that I've sold my old DIY sub it helps with the motivation. ;)
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Build my AV12 Sub....hopefully it comes in by this weekend...

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • michael_w
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Just ask your wife if she needs another nicely finished end table. You could even put fake drawer faces and stuff on it if you really want to. Or you could call it creative art by having random cubes around the house...
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2005
    Options
    michael_w wrote:
    Just ask your wife if she needs another nicely finished end table.
    That's my plan. I hope it looks like a nice looking piece of furniture when I'm done with it. but I'm guessing she will still have issues with the size. I thought bigger was always better for women? ;)

I just might have to go with a sealed design...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Been trying to find the time, space and money to build a tube amp setup for a home theater and use old KLH speakers to do so. By "build a tube amp setup" I don't mean that I want to buy a bunch of amps and a pre/pro. I'm trying to find the time to build some tube amps for a custom HT setup
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'm looking to build some power cords and add the Sweet Whispers and anticipation upgrades to the Bottlehead Foreplay.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • Burnzy
    Burnzy Posts: 250
    edited August 2005
    Options
    My DIY project that I've been thinking about...

Well we are in the process of getting our entertainment center put in. Now I'm going to have to move the sub but do not know where to put it. I could put it in the corner of the room but the WAF is low and the kids would be pulling wires and cords, twisting knobs, etc.

So I was thinking about a DIY sub that I could put in back of the TV mounted on the wall. This would take care of the WAF and the kids. I don't know how it would sound though :confused: , someone might want to chime in and give me their thoughts on this.

I'll try and post some pictures at a later time.
    SYSTEM
    HDTV ..........Sony KP-57WV600
    CD / DVD......Sony DVP-C675D
    AVR ............Denon 2801
    MAINS .........Polk RTi8
    CENTER .......Polk CSi5
    Surrounds ....Polk FXi3
    Sub ............Polk PSW-250
    Cables.........Zebra Cables
  • michael_w
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Like an infinate baffle or a box mounted on the wall behind the tv?
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'd like to do a few DIY projects, but no time/money/tools/place to build it.

1. Custom sub enclosure with dual 8's for my basement.
    2. Set of small computer speakers that image great off little to no power.
    3. Build some line array's for the bedroom. I need music up there and have a lil onkyo stereo receiver to run it but need something thin that won't take up much footprint, yet don't care about height.
    4. Build a job that pays me a lot more... wait...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2005
    Options
    1. Install a workbench exhaust fan to suck fumes like solder, glue, and paint outside. A kitchen stove/range hood would be ideal.

2. Custom center channel based upon the RTA 15TL crossover or the RTA 11T with crossover mod for the sl3000/rd0198-1 tweeter.

3. Surround channels (RTA 11T) crossover mod for the sl3000/rd0198-1 tweeter.

4. Install quiet solar powered intake and exhaust fans at opposite sides of a room that heats up from the afternoon sun. This will use a photovoltaic collector to both power the fans during the day and charge a deep cell battery for evening use. Remote control would be nice, but I'll probably use a thermostat.

5. Construct a thicker SDA interconnect.

6. Construct a SDA AI-1 interconnect.

7. Upgrade SDA crossovers and replace polyswitches.

8. Make solid wood SDA end caps from either Purple Heart, Ironwood or Rosewood.

9. Convert mini fridge to a keg-erator. :)

10. Build a nice sub.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2005
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I find there is way more time to think about DIY projects than there is to actually do them.

Same here, madmax.

Here's the top of the list for me. 165 watt RMS OTL monoblocks to drive the front/mains of the projection HT setup -- which is also a work in progress:
    analyzer%20005.jpg
    analyzer%20007.jpg
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2005
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    *A wall mounted turntable shelf. Has a second shelf for the preamp. Should be medium weight, steel square tubing and spiked mdf shelves.

When I was in college, I built a turntable "shelf" by hanging the shelf from the ceiling using cord and springs. It seemed to work quite well.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'd like to build a pair of high quality bookshelf speakers for less than $150. I'm thinking of either buying a cheap pair of used bookshelf speakers off ebay for the cabinets and binding posts or building them myself, purchasing Vifa or Dayton drivers (preferably used), getting a crossover designed by Madisound, then buying the crossover parts and assembling it myself. If I decide to build the cabinets, I'd choose an unconventional shape -- maybe pyramidal or trapezoidal. Only problem is -- I have no need for them once they're built.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Burnzy
    Burnzy Posts: 250
    edited August 2005
    Options
    michael_w wrote:
    Like an infinate baffle or a box mounted on the wall behind the tv?

Yes, that would be the idea, something behind the TV.
    SYSTEM
    HDTV ..........Sony KP-57WV600
    CD / DVD......Sony DVP-C675D
    AVR ............Denon 2801
    MAINS .........Polk RTi8
    CENTER .......Polk CSi5
    Surrounds ....Polk FXi3
    Sub ............Polk PSW-250
    Cables.........Zebra Cables
  • michael_w
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Brunzy,

My sub is pertty much directly behind my tv and it sounds better than it did when it was in the corner. The ugly mdf box in the back is my sub.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited August 2005
    Options
    - TV Stand
    - Speaker Stands
    - Speaker projects left and right (I still have about 100 NSB, They make for great gifts in finished enclosures)

See, I have the time to do projects, just not the money, but I just blew out my checking account and am working on all three projects right now.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Mjr7531 wrote:
    See, I have the time to do projects, just not the money.

I know the feeling. I used to have tons of time but no money. Now I can afford the projects but have no time. Hopefully the next step in life is to have the money AND the time. I probably won't be interested by the time that happens. :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D