I hate civics

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been trying to get some audio into my g/f's 04 civic for about 3 days now and all i have so far is the amp mounted, power wire ran, and the dash torn apart so i can try and take out the damn stock radio. I have never seen anything this bad before. I had to take apart the center console to get the fuggin radio out!! and i still cant get it out. i joined a civic forum (last thing i ever though i would do) to ask some questions. they have a sticky on it but i still cant figure it out. so far ive put a couple small marks on the dash from the screw driver trying to pry it out and broke a gerber knife...
**** civics
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2005
    try a chainsaw. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • exalted512
    edited July 2005
    damn near had to. me and the girlfriend were able to get it out though. stupid honda
    -Cody
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2005
    I know exactly what you are talking about. We have a 2000 Civic EX, and if were not for the Crutchfield instructions it would have been more of a pain than it was.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I LOVE my Ram. That thing is so easy to install in.

The dash comes off pretty easy, just a couple littl pop latches and its out. The doors are super simple. 2 screws, and one bolt that holds the door handle on and then you pull it off. One time a terminal end came off my old Momo 6x9's and, while pumping gas, I was able to take the door panel off, pull the speaker out and replace the wire, put the speaker back in and put the door panel on before the tank was full! I love it.

The downside? No freaking room for mounting amps and subs!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2005
    For the most part my Maxima is also pretty easy to take apart. I can take out my stereo and front speakers in no time. The rears are a different story though, they take a little longer, but still alot easier than our Civic.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    cody - i think there is a bolt behind the radio on the civic.

that's how all the ones i've dealt with were... honda's at that.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited July 2005
    yea, theres two. i got it figured out. the radio is in. the speakers are in. the speaker wire is run, the power wire is run. i just need to mount the crossovers and hook up the amp and find the screws for everything and put those back in and ill be done.

i will never own a honda after this experience. they make **** WAYY too complicated. it took me damn near 2 hours to get the power wire through the firewall. the speakers wouldnt fit in the door even though theyre both 6.5s. i had to do some MAJOR cutting...but the girlfriend wont find out about that:)
    -Cody
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2005
    Hmmm... maybe because I grew up as a honda guy but I've never had problems installing in any honda.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    cody... y-y-y-y-you had to cut?!

omfg you are c-c-c-c-r-azy
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    Go do an install in a VW or an Audi, you'll love the Civic...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    Thom wrote:
    Go do an install in a VW or an Audi, you'll love the Civic...
    ditto for any other eurocar...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    my truck:
    pop the door handle trim off. tools needed: knife/flathead screw driver
    pop the window crank off. tools needed: knife/rag
    unsrew arm rest(2 screws). tools needed: drill/screwdriver if drill is not available
    arm rest comes off, pop off sail panel, pop off door

civic: pop off sail panel
    pop off three different screw covers
    unscrew 5ish screws
    pop off 1/2 arm rest
    pop off other 1/2 arm rest
    unscrew
    take off door handle
    unhook elec locks/windows
    pop off door handle

now for radio
    my truck
    turn ignition on(not the truck), put it in first gear
    pop off trim
    take out one plug
    press 2 levers and radio slides out

civic:
    pop off shifter trim panel
    pop off other shifter trim panel
    unscrew 2 screws
    pop off console trim panel
    pop off cigarette lighter trim panel
    unsrew/ratchet 2 screw-bolts that cannot be reached with a normal screw driver, nor a 3/8" ratchet, nor a deep socket
    get 2 ppl
    have one person pull the metal brace out from the bottom, have the other pull on the trim(panel popper needed-screwdriver will fug up the vinyl)
    take out 4 plugs(not including radio harness)
    take out 4 screws...then the radio comes out

i forgot to say that some models require the stock radio to be in the car so that you can use the remote for some reason, luckily this wasnt one of those models

moral of the story...honda is fuggin retarded
    -Cody
  • drummer81
    drummer81 Posts: 20
    edited August 2005
    5 hondas', zero problems, 1 saturn, 2 million rattles.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I did one on a Nissan 240SX about 10 years ago. It was when they were first coming out with seperate amps for the factory system. I was only installing a head unit for this hot chick I worked for so I didnt connect the remote turn on cause there wasnt an amp or power antenna. Well when I had everything hooked up there was no sound. Everything was working but just no sound. I worked and looked and cussed and pryed for HOURS trying to figure out why it wouldnt work. Then I got smart and reinstalled the factory unit and it worked fine. Thats when I figured out "hey, I wonder if there is a seperate amp?"

Well needless to say I finally got it working but wound up looking like a complete DOLT to this chick. :rolleyes:

That was my first experience with a **** car.

I miss the old "roll eyes" smiley. It was much more sarcastic. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    drummer81 wrote:
    5 hondas', zero problems, 1 saturn, 2 million rattles.
    better not rattle, its got a screw every 5 inches.

i have no rattling with my truck and it only takes about a minute to take off. Its still not totally put back together. I got to clean the inside free of all the debris...lol. Then I have to find all the screws and put them back in the door. I should finish it up sunday
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    finally!!!!!!

everything is installed and done and i must say im really impressed. i picked up the new sr6500s:D

mid range is nothing short of excellent. tweeter is extremely detailed...EXTREMELY detailed. I'm going to see about moving the jumpers over on the crossover to make it a little softer. I'm not sure what its at right now. My only complaint is its a little less midbass than i like, but thats comparing with the mm6s though which are capable of tons of midbass. The door is really flimsy too which could add a great deal to the lack of midbass. But the midbass is still EXCELLENT in sound quality. No comparision to the old mm6s.

If I could change one thing it would be the screws on the inputs/outputs of the crossovers. I'm not sure how to explain this but the little thing on the screw that "clamps" down to the base isnt connected with the screw. So when you unscrew it the "clamp" stays down and you have to kind of fight it so its up when you put the wire in. But thats my only complaint. These things get damn loud and sound excellent doing so. I am very impressed with this new line from polk and am looking forward to hearing the new subs when they come out.
    -Cody
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2005
    Mark, put down the bottle and step away from the dead body!

TY Swerve.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • swerve
    edited August 2005
    ^what?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    ^^ +1 ???

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Been sipping a little of grandpa's cough medicine there Mark? ;)

Cody-

I noticed the exact same thing. You unscrew the terminals and the flat piece stays down and you cant get it open enough to put the speaker wire in. What Im did was just strip the wire only about 1/4", flatten in and slide it under the head of the screw. It still isnt perfect but eventually Ill go to Radio Shack and get some terminal ends thatll slide right on there.

• swerve
    edited August 2005
    Are you guys talking about a clamp style crossover? bleh they are becoming popular and it seems no one knows how to use them. I remember the guy from knukonceptz talking about them not too long ago.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    No its the same type of connectors that have been used for years.

Think of the ones that connect to your amp. You unscrew it and the flat piece of metal loosens. You put the speaker wire under that and tighten the screw back. The SR crossovers flat piece of metal stays down when you loosen the screw and is really hard to get it loose.

Damn its kinda hard to explain, especially when I dont know the technical terms for "the shiny flat piece".

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    cody got a girlfriend? wow...

if you think the radio in a civic is hard, try finding an internal oil leak on a motor you just assembled and thought everything was 100% perfect. 0 psi at idle, 3 psi at 2500 rpm. not the oil pump, not the bearings (cam nor crank), not the bypass valve in the filter, not the filter, not the viscosity of the oil, not the oil drive mechanism from the distributor, and not the rear galley plugs nor the front galley plugs, nor the "thrust plate" that oils the timing gears/chain.

what's left? i dont friggin know... pulling the motor and considering scrapping it after dumping over 2,000 into it on performance parts.

i now have a 15,000 dollar planter box sitting in my back yard... i'm considering putting flowers in the bed.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Time to run down to your local friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer and pick yourself up a brand spankin' new Ram!

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited August 2005
    well, im guessing ur truck isnt burning oil, that would be my last guess... what upgrades did u do?
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    thats what you get for trying to fix up a dodge
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, you shouldve got a Chevy. When they get old, they just fall apart all over so theres no hope of rebuilding them. :D

• exalted512
    edited August 2005
    keep dreaming, mines turning 200k and the only thing thats been replaced is the alternator(my fault) and the master cylinder. the only thing dodge has ever done right is the cummins. now if only they had a transmission that could handle it...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    new venture 5500 and 4500 take a cummins like a champ, but they're both stick shifts so people "dont like" them. the banks turbo 1600 ft lb torque cummins dakota has a stock nv 5500

far as upgrades... none really.

1990 stock block
    1987 police heads
    stock crank
    stock cam
    stock lifters
    new bearings (Cam and crank)
    new distributor
    new oil pump
    new water pump
    new timing set
    stock pistons
    stock rods
    edelbrock performer rpm intake
    pace setter shorty headers
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    1600 ft-lbs of torque, are you shi... kidding me??