Bad amp?

Options
Stephen Pitt
Stephen Pitt Posts: 5
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
Hi:

I've got a DS-1U and when I select surround sound, the unit turns off. Any solution would be appreciated.

Stephen
Post edited by Stephen Pitt on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Check the speaker wires on both the amp and speaker side as well as any banana plugs on the amp or pre-amp. Make sure no pos or neg terminals are touching.

I just had a similar issue on my AVR due to something falling on a positive banana plug and pushing it down to touch the negative banana plug right below it. The system worked fine until a signal was sent to the surround speakers and then the entire thing would shut off.

always look for the obvious first...

Good luck,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Stephen Pitt
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I previously checked the connections (double male parallel printer cable and all speaker routings), but certainly will again after reading your words.

If the woofer's amp is switched off, then back on, it works fine, but in stereo mode.

Stephen
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hello Stephen,
    Let me make sure I understand your problem. You have the Polk surround sound processor and sub-woofer, correct? If you are playing a DVD that is recorded in Dolby 5.1 surround sound, what happens? There should be a "3/2/1" displayed on the front of the processor display?
    Regards, Ken
  • Stephen Pitt
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks Kenneth.

There is no "3/2/1" display. When "surround is selected, the unit works for less than one minute, then goes off completely. At this point, the only option is to off/on, which resets in standard stereo.

Stephen
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hello Stephen,
    I don't believe I've heard of those symptoms before. When you say it goes off, do you mean the green LED on the sub-woofer switches to red? And you hear a clicking sound coming from the sub-woofer? Is the system making sound at that point? In other words, is the system producing a 5.1 signal to all of the speakers and then shuts off or the act of setting the processor to surround sound turns the system off? You might want to try pressing these three buttons simultaneously from the front panel of the processor: "save preset", "clear" and "preset up". The processor should display the word "default" then shut off. Turn the unit back on and see what happens.
    Ken
  • Stephen Pitt
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yes, a low volume pop, then the red led turns on.

Note: "DVD" input doesn't work. Limited to "CD" and "DSS" (which also fails in the same way).

Defaulting doesn't alter result.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Stephen,
    A few things to keep in mind, the analogue DVD input is used to provide a source for second zone operation. In other words, the right and left DVD input only provide a signal to be able to make a tape recording of the analogue DVD or to provide a second source signal. Page 10, of the owner's manual, under the heading "Connecting a DVD player" will cover this. The proper audio feed, for a DVD player is the co-axial digital DVD connection. This is shown on page 10, as well. If you wish to have an analogue connection between your DVD player and the processor, connect a right and left audio cable from the player's right and left analogue outputs to the CD inputs, not the DVD analogue inputs. If your DVD player doesn't have a co-axial digital output and has a Toslink connector, then use the digital input labeled "DSS" on the processor. Remember to go to this input when watching your DVD player.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards, Ken
  • Stephen Pitt
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks for your time.

Stephen