Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    a tube HU... yeah, i've heard of em, nakimichi (or whatever it is, you know the one i'm talking about) had/has one... i personally wouldn't use one, for fear of beating it up too badly (and heat), but i suppose that's like using a tube preamp in HT, which is supposed to be a great upgrade, if you're a tube person...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Why would anyone want a tube h/u?
    Why go with outdated technology?
    Why not just get an 8 track player?

:rolleyes:

However, that is one of the coolest looking h/u's Ive ever seen!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    Wanna talk about outdated? I've got a Panasonic reciever at home, still kind of working, with an 8-track recorder.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    we have an 8-track player at the rents house
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    When I was a wee lad I had an 8 track in my room. No radio or cassette player, just an 8 track.

But since I was only 7-10 and wasnt allowed to buy tapes, I had to listen to my dads collection.

Some of it was ok though. The Ventures were a instrumental group from the 60's. Guitar, bass and drums. Had some cool tunes.

And Herb Albert. Trumpet player.

I was so stoked when a buddy at school gave me Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil on 8 track! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2005
    My '53 chevy pickup originally had a tube radio... *shrugs*

Don't let any of the bottleheads in the 2ch section hear you talking about "outdated technology"
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    LOL!!

Yeah, there is no quicker way to get your **** kicked on the HA side than denigrate tubes.

Well, claim there is no difference in cables and youll get toasted pretty quick too! ;)

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Why would anyone want a tube h/u?
    Why go with outdated technology?
    Why not just get an 8 track player?

:rolleyes:

However, that is one of the coolest looking h/u's Ive ever seen!

:rolleyes: :o

Give me a break. I have never owned or heard tubes. And I dont have any intentions to. But to say something is bad because its "out-dated technology" is crazy!

I mean you have no room to talk, you dropped 4.0 or whatever for 2.0 HT. Thats "out-dated technology".

There are alot of "new" things that shouldnt even exist.

And there is a difference in cables. AND amps. Biotch.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited July 2005
    Not to be repeating what sid said but c'mon mcleod, tubes..... outdated, hell no, older yes.. outdated means that something better has come along, and we all know that is not true.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard a tube set-up before.... if you have not i strongly suggest you get on that, it is a complete different experience if you have been used to solid state all your life. Or heaven for bid that new digital drive amp crap!!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2005
    i have a tube guitar amp, and a solid state, i must say, the tube has a warmth like no other, but as for music, ive heard a 'few' tube setups, and they remind me of the db650's i just got, lots of clarity, not much bass...
    im not knocking polk, but thats just the easiest way to describe my experience
    i guess thats why a lot of the nu metal bands dont use tube amps... they cant handle drop f tuning... lol
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2005
    That is gorgeous! It'd look great in the Ranger when I get it done! Strap some tube amps into the setup on the SR6500's and it'd be a hell of a stereo!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    please, please, let's not get into a tubes OR cables debate... you want that, you can go get as much as you can stand on the HT side...

tubes, maybe a little, cause it is applicable in cars, but the cable debate in cars is... well, there's no real debate...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    That is gorgeous! It'd look great in the Ranger when I get it done! Strap some tube amps into the setup on the SR6500's and it'd be a hell of a stereo!

Here, here!!!

Please those of you that have never heard tube audio, just do yourself a favor and go to a nice HA "boutique" and get those ears on a tube set-up. It's smooth as butta. As far as the "not alot of bass" point, isn't that what your monoblock amp is for???
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2005
    I had a Planet audio Tube amp for a while. While the sound was quite excellent...it was a tad over-rated in its power! I would have kept her had it given the juice it claimed too. Nothing wrong with tubes btw...you either like them or hate them. guess the same can be said for JL eh??? hehe...that was funny....
  • exalted512
    edited July 2005
    or caps??

that head unit has been out for a while btw
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13
    Here, here!!!

Please, just do yourself a favor and go to a nice HA "boutique" and get those ears on a tube set-up. It's smooth as butta. As far as the "not alot of bass" point, isn't that what your monoblock amp is for???

Uhhh...I've built my own tube amps, man. I have a tad bit of experience with them! :)

giggerman was the one who complained that there was "not alot of bass". Then again, I try to avoid discussing things with un-reistered users. Too many have turned out to be a problem and I'm not going to get in to it.

• Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512

that head unit has been out for a while btw
    -Cody

Big deal. It obviously was not that well known.

• exalted512
    edited July 2005
    when do you plan on getting those SRs John?
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Probably not until around Christmas and they will most likely sit in a stack in teh corner until I get the interior sorted out on the vehicle they are going in. I'm starting to think though that that Panasonic would be perfect. The plan is to redon the entire interior with a fiberglas dash. I will have dark Cherry wood inserts for the guage cluster and the center stack with brass/gold trim pieces and gold bezels on teh white face guages with antique lettering from Ford Racing Performance Parts. The reast will be finished off in a medium tan finish with seats from a 94-97 Thunderbird re-done in tan leather with sueade inserts. The audio will be all done by hand an invisible from outside the vehicle. But I'm thinking that that Panasonic unit with it's gold finish and that glowing tube in the center would look flat out incredible in the center of the dash. I'll have to build some enclosures for behind the seat too and when the finally release the SR subs, they had better be BLAcK with NO marking cause that would look great in an enclosure with the same dark cherry color on the veneer.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Uhhh...I've built my own tube amps, man. I have a tad bit of experience with them! :)

giggerman was the one who complained that there was "not alot of bass". Then again, I try to avoid discussing things with un-reistered users. Too many have turned out to be a problem and I'm not going to get in to it.

I didn't mean that you were complaining about the lack of bass, I was agreeing with you. I just didn't add a quote from the other guy.;)

I knew you built your own tube amps. The Here here was for you, that's why the rest was seperate. It was meant for the others that have never experienced the tube sound.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    :rolleyes: :o

Give me a break. I have never owned or heard tubes. And I dont have any intentions to. But to say something is bad because its "out-dated technology" is crazy!

I mean you have no room to talk, you dropped 4.0 or whatever for 2.0 HT. Thats "out-dated technology".

There are alot of "new" things that shouldnt even exist.

And there is a difference in cables. AND amps. Biotch.

See what I mean? Pure rage and hysteria at the very mention of tubes not being all that! I dont get it.

Tubes are outdated because solid state amps can perform just like a tube amp more effeceintly and cheaper! Thats why its oudated.

Going from 4 channel to 2 isnt going down in technology, merely not having as much of it. If I were going backward in technology Id be running an 8 track instead of my CD player. Another example would be ditching your car for a horse drawn buggy.

And yes, Ive heard tubes before. A couple home pieces and a car amp or two over the years. They dont sound bad at all, but for 1/3 the price I can get a solid state amp thatll not only be more durable but will perform just as well.

• VR3
    edited July 2005
    Mac,
    Most people run SS amps with Tube preamps.

Supposedly gives you the slam of SS with the smoothness of tubes.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Thats cool.

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone running tube gear.

Here is what I believe thru what Ive seen, read and heard:

Tube gear is high quality equipment and delivers great sound quality and is usually very well built. Its a fine match for high end speakers. However, I think soild state gear can deliver the same performance for a lot less money and thats why I think tubes outdated. Outdated, NOT useless.

.......and cables make no difference! :p:p

• VR3
    edited July 2005
    "Cables may make no difference", but do you want a coat hanger delivering your signal or a power line? I'd rather take the power line. Quality cables are just that - QUALITY. They will outlast you.

As for tube gear. I don't own any. To expensive for what I want/need. Form over function, all that.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Well, no you cant use coat hangers, but you could use cheap Monster Standard RCA's.

I have a set running thru my truck right now. 20' of em and 4 sets running by all kinds of wires and potential noise inducers and I dont have any (except the whine from the damn CC universal wiring harness with its 400 guage power wires that Im too lazy to pul out and run decent size wire).

Ive run several "high end" sets of cables from Tsunami to Street Wires. Up to $70 a PAIR! I notice zero difference. Maybe is just wishful thinking because I cant afford $70 a pair RCA's anymore!
    :D

• VR3
    edited July 2005
    I dont think you could hear differences in a car system. No offense by no means though. I just dont think your in the right position exactly to hear what you need to hear in a car.

I'm sure there are some Hi-Res systems and installs that can do it.

I feel in Home it is a different story.

And I will never buy Monster Cable. No support to the Monster...none at all!
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    That is a good point. A car is not the perfect test environment.

For cables you do need to pay for qualities like insulation, resistance, shielding and connectors so you dont want to be using lamp cord, but to say that Streetwires RCA's are more open and warm sounding and Stinger RCA's are more thin and bright sounding is a load of bull butter.

Thats just simple physics, which is usually way above my head so maybe Neo can jump in here if Im wrong, but resistance, inductance and capacitance are the only parameters that affect performance. So while you do need to pay for features like I mentioned above but a set of $100 RCAs wont sound any different than a line of lamp cord.

• VR3
    edited July 2005
    Well, you are more than welcome - if you ever come to NC, to drop by and we'll listen to some Ratshackers vs. Signal Cable.

I cant explain the difference, but its there.

However I agree with your comments. When I added my cables - the biggest difference was in sound staging and detail in the higher end. Not bass response or any of that jazz.

However, I did audition this one cable that had almost no bass. It was very odd. Even my friend heard it - and she isnt that experienced with audio.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Back nearly 20 years ago, Absolute Sound magazine held a ABX test at an audio convention to prove once and for all that there is an audible difference between cables.

Out of 200 engineers, magazine editors and reviewers, tech people and general consumers, NOBODY proved they could hear the difference betwen several hundred dollar RCA's and 16 guage lamp cord! The mag went crazy and had all kinds of excuses but it was their test and their setup.

Im not a big fan of Monster either but 20' RCA's for $14 is hard to pass up.

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited July 2005
    After what Jstas said about not being registered, i decided to try and register, turns out i did, a looong time ago lol im such an idiot

The limited experience i have with tube amps is mostly with rebuilt antiques, so theres probably better examples out there.. but im too poor to know about them <my guitar amp was a rca phono amp from the 50's i got on ebay for $30> :-P
    I will have dark Cherry wood inserts for the guage cluster and the center stack with brass/gold trim pieces and gold bezels on teh white face guages with antique lettering from Ford Racing Performance Parts. The reast will be finished off in a medium tan finish with seats from a 94-97 Thunderbird re-done in tan leather with sueade inserts. The audio will be all done by hand an invisible from outside the vehicle. But I'm thinking that that Panasonic unit with it's gold finish and that glowing tube in the center would look flat out incredible in the center of the dash. I'll have to build some enclosures for behind the seat too and when the finally release the SR subs, they had better be BLAcK with NO marking cause that would look great in an enclosure with the same dark cherry color on the veneer.

I must say, that sounds damn sweet. :)
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S