LSi-9 & Parasound Current Overload

Options
naliwaba
naliwaba Posts: 8
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but since I am driving Polk speakers, I figured that I would give it a try.

I sat down to listen to some 2 channel music this evening and shortly after turning the system on (3-4 seconds), the left channel stopped working and the "Current Overload" indicator on channel two (on the AMP) remains lit. At the time of the "event", the volume was set to about -15.0 and I was in the process of taking it down to -20.0 (it seems to me that the left channel stopped working as I was going from -15 to -20).

My current setup is Denon AVR-3805 as the pre/pro; a Parasound HCA-1205A as the amplifier driving 5 Polk Audio LSi-9's.

I am using Cobalt interconnects and Cobalt Ultimate Speaker cables to connect to the Left, Center, and Right channels. Immediately after the event, I verified that all of the connections were solid with no cables crossing or touching each other. I then did the following in an attempt to troubleshoot:

1- turned the AMP off and then back on ... indicator remains lit on channel 2.

2 - disconnected Channel 2 input and outputs (after turning the amp & source off) ... indicator remains lit on channel 2.

3 - disconnected all connections to the amp (after turning the amp & source off again) ... indicator remains lit on channel 2.

4 - connected the Left LSi-9 to the channel 1; this was just to verify that the problem was not in the speaker. Channel 1 (output) continues to work.

So my question is could it have been the LSi-9 which has left the Parasound in a "Current Overload" state (btw, in this state, the channel does not produce sound)?

Can I expect this to happen again and/or is this a common occurance (this is my first experience with an external amplifier which I purchased used about 2 months ago and it has been working perfectly since then)?

Does anybody have any experience with the "Current Overload" state and is this something that can only be fixed by a Parasound Authorized Service Center?

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.
SACD / Theatre Setup:

Denon AVR-3805
Denon DVD-2900
Monster Power HTS-2600
Polk LSi-9 x 2 (Main)
Polk LSi-9 x 1 (Center)
Polk LSi-9 x 2 (Rear)

Post edited by naliwaba on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pop the top and check for a blown fuse inside.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Cwaters
    Cwaters Posts: 16
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Was the amp new or used? Sounds like you done broke the poor bugger. I'd cal Parasound.

CW
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Pop the top and check for a blown fuse inside.

I'll second that. Maybe some speaker wire got crossed, or something... and you blew a fuse in the amp.