DVD recommendation on system setup

marionany
marionany Posts: 5
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi Guys,

I just got a RM6600 with the PSW350 and a Denon AVR-2802.
I'm setting everything up, but I'm still undecided which DVD player should I get. I'm looking between the Pioneer DV-444 and the Sony DVP-700P. Any sugesstions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mario
. \\|//
. (o o)
oOOo-(_)-oOOo
///SuperMario
Post edited by marionany on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    Without checking the specs on either, just make sure the DVD player has progressive scan output. When you get your HDTV, this output mode will produce a superior picture than interlaced output. This is especially noticeable on fast moving scenes with a lot of action - progressive feed is smoother and less jittery than interlaced. Also, go with a quality component video cable feed (the three separate cables) to your HDTV. There are many good cables out there Monster or AR come to mind, but there are others.

Good luck!! :D
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    I would definitely consider the Pannasonic DVD-RP62. This is a replacement for the DVD-RP56 which was a very good progressive scan player. I was going to buy the DVD-RP56 at Sears a month or so ago when it was on sale for $199 less a Sears 10% discount. They were sold out in all of the stores around here. After a little research I found out about the 62 and the DVD RP-82 which adds DVD audio. Here is some info DVD RP-62 and DVD RP-82 This is one DVD player that definitely does not have the Chroma Bug issues (if you want to know what the Chroma Bug is go HERE)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited April 2002
    Darn, now I’ll have to sale my RP-56 so I can buy the RP-82.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • earnest poole
    earnest poole Posts: 22
    edited April 2002
    Man I have the sony dvp-700p and I love it.Its not far from the best one made yet!!:D
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    I agree with Earnest, the Sony is a great DVD player with progressive scan. No DVD Audio or mp3 but I really didn't want that anyways. The DVP-NS700P is a great looking and sounding DVD player. The GUI is very easy to use and very easy to setup. It is very easy to switch to progressive output. Not too many bells and whisles but it gets the job done very well!
    :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Both the sony and pioneer are fine dvd player's
    The pioneer picture is sharper and the Sony is softer.But both equal in quality.
    Ask yourself this question, do I want to upgrade my dvd player for better sound and Picture, or do I also want the new Format's as well?Do I want dvd audio or sacd,or both????????
    sacd....Go with the Sony dvpns900v.Killer Dvd Player, better dac's and slightly better picture, if you want your cake and eat it 2......Go with the new Pioneer Elite dv47a,it has both format's(dvd audio and sacd) if they cost to much for your budget...save your money longer and buy one of them you will much happier with the upgrade.
    By the way I own the Pioneer Elite dv47a,I bought it the day it came out,It's the best bang for the buck dvd player on the market right now....In the fall they are comming out with a better dvd player, but it will also reach 2 grand, I will be upgrading then, for now I will enjoy My dv47a.
    Good luck..now isn't this fun!!!!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    no reccomendation..just wondering how you like your Polk setup with the Denon..Im still waiting for my 3802 to ship but I have the same speaker setup as you
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    hi mantis; on the poineer dv-47a what is the future upgrade going to consist of and you said the new player is coming out this full, you see i was thinking of getting the dv-47a but if there is a better one on the way i will wait.

thanks
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • marionany
    edited April 2002
    Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate your comments. I heard that the Pioneer 444 does have a superior audio performance when playing CDs than the Sony, and at the same time the other way the DVD video was a little bit better on the sony than the pioneer...

thanks
    . \\|//
    . (o o)
    oOOo-(_)-oOOo
    ///SuperMario
  • marionany
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by Billm57
    no reccomendation..just wondering how you like your Polk setup with the Denon..Im still waiting for my 3802 to ship but I have the same speaker setup as you

Hey Bill,

the combination Polk rm6600 and any Denon 28xx, 38xx is outstanding..

I'm very happy with this pair :D
    . \\|//
    . (o o)
    oOOo-(_)-oOOo
    ///SuperMario
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    yes..got mine hooked up the other day..very nice sounding system
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Ya, I have a Denon with my RM6500, and it rocks!

We like Denon.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited April 2002
    Hi all, Panasonic DVD-XV10 is the latest release dvd player from panasononic and it is without doubt the most sexy looking player on the market, I will have to upgrade...Regards Fabian :):)
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    JVC-S60. Hands down and excellent player. No Chroma bug (Sony), no flicker bug (panasonic) with a progressive picture that exceeds that of the Sony ES9000 (1,500 player) according to Mike Knapp, owner of HTT. Here's the link.

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005287.html

Great, great player for $229. With lots of great features including auto-upscaling. I put it head to head with the RP-56 and the NS700p and found it superior.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by marionany

Hey Bill,

the combination Polk rm6600 and any Denon 28xx, 38xx is outstanding..

I'm very happy with this pair :D
    how do you have your sub hooked up and at what settings???