sda-1 right speaker sounds muffled

Options
OldSycamoreTree
OldSycamoreTree Posts: 70
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
Help please
This am my receiver started acting up again. I had to wiggle the volume control to get volume out of right channel. It would drop out, then if I wiggled it the power returned to right speaker.
The unit was just repaired so I assume something else is wrong with it, or something was missed when it was in for repair.

Anyway, I just installed a backup integrated amp in its place, and now getting only 1/4 or less sound level through the right sda-1b, and it sounds like it is muffled over.

It does this with every source:cd, tuner, tape. When I switched the right speaker onto left outputs, it does the same thing.
same problem when I run speakers on "b" circuit.

what did my receiver do the the right sda-1 speaker?
and what must be done now ? thanks in advance.
Bernie
Post edited by OldSycamoreTree on

Comments

• landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Check the tweeter. It may be blown. That's just a wild guess, and may not be it. Try running them from another power source and if it still sounds muffled, that may be it.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Since the problem follows the speaker it is most likely the speaker with the problem. Since you have 2 tweeters per cabinet I'm thinking your polyswitch has gone south. Call Polk and ask them to send you 2 new ones. You should replace the polyswitch on both crossovers. If you can solder it's easy job.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OldSycamoreTree
    edited July 2005
    Options
    drivers also?
    the tweeters are def not working but it sounds like more is missing than the tweets ?

I have read some other threads where this poly switch is noted.
    I think you posted the procedure, ie remove the pr,
    remove the crossover and replace the part.
    Wish it was just a fuse with no part removal required.
    It is not easy tinkering with 85 lb speakers as you know.

What do you think caused this? I only had my reciever at 10 o'clock volume, not very loud.
    Starting my day with Roger Norrington conducting Beethoven pastorale symphony.
    Did the receiver have a power spike or something?
    When i say I wiggled the volume it was just back and forth between 9-11 o'clock. Luxman R115

tx, Bernie
  • F1nut
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Only the tweeters are protected. When you lose the highs it will sound very dead.

Cause? Old age, plain and simple. The reason you may think it's got something to do with the volume control is that when you turn the volume down the polyswitch will reset (little or no signal), but when they are old and worn out they are hypersensitive and will re-trip quickly.

Can you verify the problem by using a known good receiver with the SDA's or known good speakers with your Luxman?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OldSycamoreTree
    edited July 2005
    Options
    during the night, one of my psycho cats must have gone explorin' in the 10 inches behind the speaker, got tangled and pulled out the speaker ground cable. Thus, all I was getting to the right was the sda line feed and positive.
    Now, I have the lux re-connected and it plays fine, as does the integrated amp backup.

So, back to my original system ponderings from the last week.
    Did you happen to see I asked another cp area what they thought of low power tube amps with the sda-1b.

There is a 15 wpc class A SET tube amp on a'gon that gets very good reviews.
    Have you heard the low power SET amps with polks?
    the lux would be a preamp for now.

There are also ss amps that piqued my interet - an acurus a200 and an aragon 125 wpc.

I've never had tube gear though so am itchin to try some.
    Do you run a tube amp or ss ? and thanks for the help before.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Ah, that's good news. I still think you should change the polyswitches as they are old and the new ones have a higher value than the originals.

I haven't tried a SET amp with SDAS's. I'm sure it will work, just don't expect concert level volume.

Tube pre/SS amp

President of Club Polk