Rti 8 Series help needed

Options
gregmas
gregmas Posts: 3
edited July 2005 in Troubleshooting
Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that my knowledge of speaker technology is limited - so bear with me. I will try to be as thorough as possible in the explanation of my problem, maybe too much!

Anyway - Two Rti 8 speakers, powered by a Denon AVR-2801 amplifier running monster cable speaker wire with a pretty thick guage.

I was playing these speakers entirely to loud, and I mean loud (which I will never do again but I was really into the song).

The left speaker began sounding differently, so I turned the volume down and I could smell that electrical burning smell - very distinct. After this I seemed to have no highs, so I sent my tweeters back to the factory and they replaced them with new tweeters in rapid fashion. I installed the new tweeters, and while the sound is better, it still sounds like the drivers are distorted.

I switched speakers from left to right to rule out an amplifier problem and the damaged speaker was still sounding bad compared to the other. I was thinking maybe a driver problem, so I switched drivers and the problem is the same. The left cabinet sounds like **** no matter which tweet or driver is installed.

So, assuming that I don't have a driver or tweeter problem, what else will make the speaker not play well. I checked the "thing" in the back where the speaker wires hook to and all the connections appear to be soldered and therefore unremovable. Could the problem lie here?

If you made it this far, I thank you. If you have any advice, I would appreciate that even more. I miss my tunes and have learned my lesson. Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg
Post edited by gregmas on

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    best bet is to call Polk direct and talk to them again. That sucks about your speakers man.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited July 2005
    Options
    since you said you smelled an electrical burn after it happened and you have switched all of the drivers from one box to the other and the problem stays with the box and not the speakers themselves then it would have to be your crossover. That is what that thing you were refering to about all the connections being soldered good.
    have you tried switching the crossovers from box to box and see what happens. I bet th problem will then follow the crossover.

If it does then it looks like you will be ordering yourself a new crossover as well. That kinda sucks, but out of curiosity how loud were you playing them.... to smoke a crossover, thats is something else :)