Rockford Fosgate-Made in the USA

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    OK, so that steel mill was pure Utopia and then they went out of business, mainly because it seems like they priced themselves out of business. That sucks. I know. Its also life. Its also progress.

With progress comes change and with change people get screwed. Thats inevitable and there is nothing you can do about it. However, for the country as a whole, we benefit from the progress. Also, a company cant pay its people $60/hr with 6 months paid vacations and expect to remain competitve. Thats why unions are on the decline. They tend to price their members right out of a job. UPS employess' day is coming. You realize they make over $23/hr!!!! Eventually theyll demand more money than UPS can afford to pay them and bammo! Same thing happened to a big trucking comany here in Chatty. Their drivers were making $25/hr and eventually the company went bankrupt. I fully support unions coming to a profitable agreement with both employees and employers, but both have to be realistic.

What about all those companies that made buggy whips and wagon wheels? They may have been the best employers in the world. Would you rather us go back to the days of horse and buggies just to keep them employed?

Youre always bitching about trucks and SUV's and oil. What about when we develop an engine that can run off a water? What about all those poor people that work for Exxon and Shell? Theyre gonna get screwed right? But still, isnt the country and even the world better off as a whole?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    But still, isnt the country and even the world better off as a whole?

Nope!! I like my 427s with dual 4 barrel carbeurators, pouring out that burned leaded gas!! Mmmmm...I can smell it now!! The smell of raw power.......:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    LMFAO!!!

Touche'!

Got me on that one!!

A 1966 Pontiac GTO with about 1000 horsepower stock! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    exxon people won't necessarily get screwed, no... take BP for example, they're expanding in that direction already to be ready for said advancements... if properly prepared, their people (hehe... properly prepped people) will be able to slide over into the new jobs. same with the horse people - they stopped making buggies and used their marketable skills to get a job building cars. the steel worker, though...

and strangely enough, i'm with you on unions (we seem to be agreeing about everything, yet there's still controversy :p). yes, they are pricing themselves out of a job, and people will fill the job, and that's their own damn fault. i've got no issue there.

the issue is not progress, it's how to make progress and not leave any more people behind than absolutely necessary, cause it can be done, it's just a matter of balancing the needs of society with the needs of the individuals that make up the society.

and gas ain't goin nowhere till there's no oil left... and thus, of course, no ANWR...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, those steel workers got screwed. Thats a shame and it sucks but it happens. It couldnt have been stopped by legislation or some cruel business man being run out of town, it happens. Nothing is forever especially in the business world.

Look, you cant keep every single company in business forever. It would be great if you could and nobody could lose their job but you cant. Its a part of life. The world is constantly changing and we have to adapt with it. Sometimes people get screwed, hell a lot of times people do but they keep going.

And Im of the belief that there will always be oil. More and more scientists are signing on to the theory that oil is MADE by the earth or rather as a byproduct of the processes going on in the earths core. My gawd! We've been drilling and using oil by the billions of gallons and we keep finding more. There is more oil seeping out of the ocean floor into the ocean than is used thruout the entire human race and yet we keep finding more! Besides, capitolism will ensure there will be a fuel alternative soon. Any idea how much an engine powered by tap water would be worth? $$$$$$$$$$$

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited July 2005
    Welcome back MacLeod- I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. I'm pulling for Roddick as well.

:D
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    okay this is bad but most likely the best thing i've ever thought of.

I drink gasoline//
    which allows me to spit fire//
    terrorism? nah I'm the reason the bush administration had to conspire//

someone said fuel so... yea.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2005
    ...please.....no one say fuel again.......
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Jay-Z will be bitin' that most likely on his "return album"

then we will know a true legend reads the polk forums.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Here's a scenario for you guys to ponder about unions.

DaimlerChrysler has a foundry here in Indy that makes blocks for the 3.3 v6, 3.8 v6, and a couple of others. About 4 years ago, when the new hemi was coming to fruition, this plant was offered the block and the dumbasses turned it down. So guess what..... Mexico got it. They said that there wouldn't be enough demand for the engine except for the trucks. Well as of now there are at least 6 vehicles that use the engine and Mexico can't keep up with demand. In two months the Indy plant will be shutting its doors. If they would have taken on the block they would be keeping their jobs. That would have meant working while retooling the plant, though. Ironic.....

Unions were once a very necessary and great institution. If it weren't for unions, Henry Ford would have kept paying his workers chump change and they couldn't even afford the cars they were building. They became too powerful and corrupt while the workers(not all) became fat and lazy. They have definitely hurt themselves. I live in an extremely blue colar town(New Castle, In) and have family members that are UAW, so I've seen it first hand. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I could tell you about some of the things those guys did and got away with and they wonder why the plants are getting closed.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2005
    Perhaps this sums it all up best: People are.....people.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Perhaps this sums it all up best: People are.....people.
    are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are people....are birds....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2005
    ROFL

I don't think you have enough to do!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I totally support unions. I think they are what capitalism is all about. Employees using their combined bargaining power to come to an agreement with employers benefitial to both sides. For years its worked out great and both manufacturers and employees have benefited. But sometimes the unions get greedy or make bad decisions and price themselves right out of work.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    I totally support unions. I think they are what capitalism is all about. Employees using their combined bargaining power to come to an agreement with employers benefitial to both sides. For years its worked out great and both manufacturers and employees have benefited. But sometimes the unions get greedy or make bad decisions and price themselves right out of work.

Exactly what I said, maybe it didn't read that way, though.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Nah, I just always have to have the last word! :D:p

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    $10 an hour around here won't get you close to buying a house. Townhouses are going for more than $200K, and a "real" house is more than that. It took us forever to find a house in a half decent school district that we could afford. No way we can afford private school, since my salary barely pays the bills as it is. And that's on a month when the kids aren't at the doctor for something or another. We can go through a few hundred dollars in co- pays a month. But at least we don't have any credit card debt, which it seems is quite common nowadays...
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    I'm about to get my first credit card....! for a computer. I'm thinking of paying 500 up front for it. charging the rest then some how disposing of the card so i never use it again.

I hate doing it but it's clear I need a new comp and my mom can use the old one...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    I'm about to get my first credit card....! for a computer. I'm thinking of paying 500 up front for it. charging the rest then some how disposing of the card so i never use it again.

I hate doing it but it's clear I need a new comp and my mom can use the old one...

Its good to get a credit card ASAP to establish a credit history. After 10 years, regardless of whether you use it or not, you'll get a little FICO score bump.

However, don't carry a balance on it. If you can't pay it off at the end of the month, you shouldn't be buying it.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Its good to get a credit card ASAP to establish a credit history. After 10 years, regardless of whether you use it or not, you'll get a little FICO score bump.

However, don't carry a balance on it. If you can't pay it off at the end of the month, you shouldn't be buying it.
    In order to get a comp I'd have to carry a balance three months unless I go with Dell...

before I make a big purchase (I usually can save) I map it all out taking 2-3 emergencies into consideration..
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Thom
    $10 an hour around here won't get you close to buying a house. Townhouses are going for more than $200K, and a "real" house is more than that. It took us forever to find a house in a half decent school district that we could afford. No way we can afford private school, since my salary barely pays the bills as it is. And that's on a month when the kids aren't at the doctor for something or another. We can go through a few hundred dollars in co- pays a month. But at least we don't have any credit card debt, which it seems is quite common nowadays...

Thats the way Austin is. When we first moved to Texas in '97 we found out real quick we couldnt afford anything there either so 4 months later we moved up to Temple where the cost of living was much lower.

I think Chattanooga has the best mix of both. The job market here is very strong and the cost of living is quite low. We are also one of the lowest taxed states in the union.

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Thats the way Austin is. When we first moved to Texas in '97 we found out real quick we couldnt afford anything there either so 4 months later we moved up to Temple where the cost of living was much lower.

I think Chattanooga has the best mix of both. The job market here is very strong and the cost of living is quite low. We are also one of the lowest taxed states in the union.

So true, Tennessee is one of the lowest taxing states. Try living in Indiana where you pay federal , state, county, and city income taxes. Then you pay 6% sales tax on everything and excise tax on you vehicles, which depending on the cost of the vehicle can be over $500/yr gradually decreasing over time. It was twice as high before the lottery was implemented. With me being from the South, it just kills me to pay that many different taxes and not see any benefit from it. The Indiana state government is about as inefficient as one could be. When I moved up here at the end of '97, Indiana had an $11million surplus, and by the end of 2003 there was a massive defecit. The new governor "says" he going to turn it around. I voted for him, so I hope he can do what he has set out to accomplish. Anyways, his administration can't be any worse than the last(fingers and toes crossed). I can't afford anymore tax hikes.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Georgia is the same way. Its been run by democrats forever and not only has high city, state and local taxes but you also get a nice income tax as well.

When I was living there before making $9/hr I was paying over $70 a month just in state income taxes!

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Georgia is the same way. Its been run by democrats forever and not only has high city, state and local taxes but you also get a nice income tax as well.

Same with Indiana, the donkeys went through the surplus like it was there own cash. The new guy is an elephant, a tiny one(5'4" and that's generous), but one the same. Hopefully the legislative branch will cooperate.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2005
    and I'll say it again... AT LEAST YOU DON'T LIVE IN KANSAS! :p:D

Try living in what once was the 2nd most wealthy counties in the nation (per capita). Taxes are a ****. You're lucky to find sales tax anywhere around here under 7.5%...

I'm looking at a paycheck stub from the end of last year and when you gross $2200 and take home under $1500... 'nuff said.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    Try living in what once was the 2nd most wealthy counties in the nation (per capita). Taxes are a ****. You're lucky to find sales tax anywhere around here under 7.5%...
    same here in normal. if i go get something after work I drive over to bloomington (Twin Cities so they are connected) and it is a tad lower....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    and I'll say it again... AT LEAST YOU DON'T LIVE IN KANSAS! :p:D

I'm looking at a paycheck stub from the end of last year and when you gross $2200 and take home under $1500... 'nuff said.

I'm in Johnson County too... :mad:

I should get free classes at Johnson County Community College!!! (I can't believe how much of my property tax goes straight to them)
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    JCCC... that's alot of C's for a college... jeeze.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2005
    yeah, that's why we just pronounce it Juco... much easier :)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    community colleges rock!
    the one here has the universities profs. pretty much just helluvalot cheaper. for my 4 classes and books it was 1050 for one semester. so not too bad.
    cats.vans.bag...