• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2005
    Options
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2005
    Options
    When I first got my Adcom (about 18 years ago) it would hum occasionally. My hum was audible through the unit itself (transformer) and not audible thru the speaks. Luckily I worked at the audio store that I bought it from and I took into our tech and he had it for a week on the bench and could not get it too hum. I took it home plugged it in and it hummed like a little ****. More annoying than anything else. After I moved it stopped humming for years and then about 5 years ago it started again. I found that if I have a humidifier running on the same circuit it would cause the trans to hum this time around.

Just relaying this story....not sure if it will help or not since you are actually hearing a hum thru your speaks. My best guess is it's some sort of ground loop issue that has been created by adding the Dodd. You could try runnng an extension cord from the Dodd or amp to another circuit and see if it's quiet.

Electricity is a finiky **** and can create real headaches. It's always a process of trying to isolate the situation which can/is a pain in the arse. Did you have any hum problems before the Dodd arrived?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    My best guess is it's some sort of ground loop issue that has been created by adding the Dodd. You could try runnng an extension cord from the Dodd or amp to another circuit and see if it's quiet.

Did you have any hum problems before the Dodd arrived?
    In my case it was definitely not a ground loop issue. I isolated everything and the hum was still there. Gary at Dodd determined that it was a power supply issue and took steps to increase the filtering. I worked pretty good. My NAD amp does have a silght hum but with a NAD pre it is dead quiet through the speakers. Before Gary fixed my ELP I still got the hum with a different amp. I have not put a different amp in the system since I got it back but that might totally solve the problem. Maybe later I'll give it a try. For the time being it is not really an issue.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Did you have any hum problems before the Dodd arrived?
    H9

Nope. Dead silence, period.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hi,
    Do you live in the seattle area? I have an amp or pre amp that you could use to swap in to see if it helps. I have had noise problems in previous systems that with other gear to swap out helped solve the issue. LMK
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2005
    Options
    How's that for a Polkie offer? Coolness Bikerboy, Shelby is a solid dude :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.