Subwoofer

Options
jsternad
jsternad Posts: 2
edited June 2005 in Troubleshooting
Bought the RM7200 last summer, went to school and kept it at home. Sub sounds staticky when put ear by it but sounds good from far away. What could it be? I thought it might be the voice coil. Any answers? Thanks!
Post edited by jsternad on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Are your cables (power, interconnects, speaker wires) all jumbled together or near other power cables? What is the gain on the sub set at?

Welcome to the forum.
  • jsternad
    jsternad Posts: 2
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by michael_w
    Are your cables (power, interconnects, speaker wires) all jumbled together or near other power cables? What is the gain on the sub set at?

I have a y adaptor plugged into the preout because I have two subs hooked up, the other is not a Polk though (Klipsch). That sounds fine, I even tried to just put the sub straight into the receiver and did nothing. There is other cords right by it though, what effect might that have? And what do you mean by the gain on the sub? Crossover or power? Thanks
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Things like low quality power cords can dish out some interference that subs can easily pick up. I've even managed to get radio through my sub at one time... yet I have no tuner in my setup??

The gain I'm talking about is the volume control on the plate amp of your sub.
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I have found that car audio rca cables are best for subwoofer canles since thay have to be triple shielded.
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    If you've checked all of the cables/connections and the distortion is still there it is probably a blown woofer. In that case remove the unit's grille cover and take out the Phillips head screws that go around the circumference of the woofer. Pull it away from the cabinet and disconnect the two wires attached to the terminals. Box the woofer up and send it to Polk Audio, 2550 Britannia Blvd., Suite A, San Diego, CA. 92154. Please include a short note giving us your name, address and a copy of your sales receipt. The service department will quickly send a replacement woofer.
    Regards, Ken