Polk speaker salesman knew his stuff!

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Over the weekend I visited "The Great Indoors" in Gaithersburg MD which is affiliated with Sears. They carry premium appliances and anything else you would want for your home. To my delite I found several models of Polk speakers including the LSi7's. I was not in the market for a pair and told the salesman but asked if I could listen to them anyway. I expected the CC or Best Buy mentality (I know this doesn't apply to any of our salesmen on the Polk forum) of telling me what to buy after hearing one minute of loud sound in an already noisy store.
Robert, the salesman, set up one of the premium receivers and it didn't work so he tried another which didn't work either. (Keep in mind that this is a new store that just opened up a few weeks ago). He called the store tech guy who showed up in less than a minute and quickly got everything working.
What happened next really impressed me. Before Robert turned on any sound he asked me if I was more interested in HT or HS. I told him HS. He then asked what type of music I listen to. I told him pretty much anything. He offered a few suggestions and finally put in a Jazz CD with a piano playing. He asked me to note how there was a sense of hearing the piano player actually hitting the keys next to me rather than just hearing the sound of the piano. So noted.
I thought to myself "this guy is an audiophile". Just about then he walked over to the stack of subwoofers and I thought "here we go, he's going to turn up a sub and tell me how big the sound is and ruin my perception of his audiophile nature". He proceeded to add just enough bass to match the LSi7's. I told him I was more interested in the LSi9's which they don't carry. He went and got a sales manual and told me about the LSi9's and said I could look at them on the Polk site as well.
You know, this is the first notable equipment demonstration I have had for many years.
madmax:)
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2002
    Options
    at least one of us got a good demo.Your one lucky guy.
    Dan
    I'm just mad at Polk for dumping there speaker's anywhere that they would take them.No special stores have Polks
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Nashvilletitans
    Nashvilletitans Posts: 80
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Not the Norm but refreshing huh? =0)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Audio shops can be even worse. Several years back I was looking at polk SDA's. I had looked and listened many times and saved my money for months. Well, the big day came and I had $3500 cash in my pocket. I walked happily into the store and waited around for a salesman to become available. The truck was parked outside with a blanket in the back. The 1.2 SDA's were $3499 and I was sure I could get away with $3500 total and if not I had my checkbook. While I was waiting a salesman was talking to some guy and offered him the last set of 1.2's they had and the guy really had no interest. He then said, "listen, I really need to get rid of this last set and I'm willing to give you 15% off if you want them." The guy said he didn't have that kind of cash and walked off. I told the salesman that I would be happy to take them at that price. He said "The price is $3499 plus tax if you want them but you will have to wait until I find out if that guy decides to buy them." Huh? Needless to say I didn't wait around. I did show the manager the cash and told him his salesman was an a**hole because... The manager agreed as I was walking out. A few years later I paid $1650 used.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D