Optimum seat height for listening to big SDA's

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited June 2005 in Vintage Speakers
It seems as though most tower speakers are made so that the tweeters are at about ear level when sitting in a chair of average height.
With the big SDA's being so freaking tall,
it seems that 3 of the tweeters, and 4 of the drivers are over head level.
Anyone tried using a taller chair to listen to them?
Yes, as in bar stool height?

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Luc, you must be bored.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Isn't the third tweeter from the top, the main signal in the SRS, 1.2 line?

It would be around ear level and most likely was part of the planning for the design.

Obituary reads: He died from a fall incurred when his Lazy Boy fell from its milk crate perch. What a way to go! :D:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2005
    Options
    This should work. :cool:

9e_1_b.JPG
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2005
    Options
    My teeth start to hurt just looking at that chair!!:D

RT1
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Hey Mike......Send me the link.
    I especiallly like what looks like a gear shift, though I'm sure it's for the hydraulics lol.

I dunno, seemed like a logical question, as we spend so much time and energy on speaker positioning.
    Why not a little time and effort on getting our ears at the right elevation?

BTW, Reel, I think it's a barber chair, not a dentist chair.

-Luc

Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    This should work. :cool:

9e_1_b.JPG
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Yeah, it's a barber chair I found on eBay -- just **** with you, Luc. But (light bulb flickers again), imagine it mounted on a garage door opener rail. You could adjust for perfect sweet spot in two planes!! ;)

I don't notice a "zone" in my SDAs, large or small, whether sitting or standing. My MG-I maggies are very much made for sit down listening. As you rise from a seated position, the high/mids change drasticly.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I actually noticed a difference in standing vs sitting. The SDA effect was better while standing
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker

I don't notice a "zone" in my SDAs, large or small, whether sitting or standing.

Hi,

I haven't noticed a difference with different heights either, and I've got my tweeters much higher than normal.

In my home theater I'm using SDA-1C's as mains. The top tweeter sits about 38" from bottom of the speaker and the lower tweeter is about 33" from the bottom. The ears of listeners in the first row of seating are about 43" off the floor.

However, I've also got my 1C's sitting on concrete block stands that are about 15" tall. The stands in turn are sitting on a stage which is about 8" tall. So the top tweeter sits 61" off the floor and the bottom tweeter sits 56" off the floor, or 18" and 13" respectively higher than the ears in the front row.

front.gif
    (NOTE: This was done to more realistically center the sonic image of the Mains vertically on the screen. Likewise, I use two SDA-CRS+'s to center the Center Channel sonic image vertically on the screen.)

For the rear row of seating I've got a 14" seating platform. This puts the top tweeter only 4" higher than the ears in the second row and the the bottom tweeter 1" lower than the listener's ears.

profile4.gif

Anyway, despite the significant differences in ear height relative to the tweeters in the two rows of seating, I can't hear a difference in sound quality, and in both cases the sound is coming nicely from the center of the screen.

Larry
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited June 2005
    Options
    If I remember correctly aren't the big SDA's with multiple tweets arranged in a cascading array?

It creates more of a "sound field" type dispersion rather that a direct point source. Height isn't as critical as say with the RTA line. The RTA line tweets are arranged in an MTM (mid-tweet-mid) arrangement. This limits the horizontal dispersion. Creates a point source dispersion pattern. That's why the sweet spot is very narrow and tweeter height is more critical to get the best sound characteristics.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The center image of my SDA 1.2TL's remains fixed in space whether I am standing or sitting.

For example, when sitting, a vocalist or instrumentalist which is mixed to come from dead center of the soundstage will be heard coming from dead center at ear level or sometimes a foot above ear level. If I stand up, the sound remains fixed in space and I am then "looking down" on the center image sound.

During critical listening sessions, I use the attached diagram to record soundstage variations when switching between different cables, amps, and source components. I also use it to evaluate soundstage variations from different listening positions.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight

During critical listening sessions, I use the attached diagram to record soundstage variations when switching between different cables, amps, and source components. I also use it to evaluate soundstage variations from different listening positions.

Hi Raife,

I'm getting an invalid file message when I attempt to download your pdf file.

Larry
  • DarqueKnight
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Larry, if you have an older version of Acrobat Reader (before ver. 6.0) integrated with your browser, it may not be able to read the file.

I checked and I was able to download/read the file successfully.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I can't open it either, says damaged file.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I have acroread 5.0 and was able to display in firefox. In case you are able to download the attachment, I uploaded it to my
    AOL MyStorage. You can download it from http://members.aol.com/fvu168/stage_eval.pdf

-fredv-
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Hummm, I just had to try it and I didn't have a problem opening and reading it.

I've experimented with it and never found seat height to be an issue with my big SDAs. They sound great to me anywhere from a "normal" couch or chair seated height to standing up.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks Fred.

Russ and Larry, if it still does not display in your browser, try right clicking the link and downloading the file.