I'm Back...with my new fiberglass sub enclosure!

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited June 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I've been in MO for a week for my brother's wedding. I just spent 1.5 hours reading all the posts that I missed. In the meantime, I was able to finish my fiberglass sub enclosure. It's kinda side/upfiring. It's quite a bit louder in my trunk than in my back seat, though it still is just as clean as it has been. I'll have pics when I get home from work today.
-Austin
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    Options
    honestly, dont start a thread like this unless you have the pics;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Im curious to see a side/up firing sub! :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Im curious to see a side/up firing sub! :p
    Eh, it's more diagonal-ish. Closer to side-firing, but aimed up a tad. Anyway, I finally was able to get some pics. Please excuse my filthy car. I just got back from a 2500-mile road trip, part of which was on gravel roads. I haven't had time to wash it yet.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The sub is flush-mounted. You'll notice the front isn't round but more ovalish with flattened ends. This was to give me somewhere to mount the grill I'm going to get from partexpress.com

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Here you can see my amp rack that I made. Standing up, you can't even see it. I moved it there from the back of my rear seat. I'm trying to maximize my usable trunk space.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Here is the front view. I installed some screw-down terminals that also accept banana clips for quick release. The terminals are really great because they only require small holes and are easy to make sure they're sealed. The terminal cups I got from BB or CC sucked. One of them leaked air, even though they weren't supposed to. I got these little terminals from Radio Shak.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2005
    Options
    nice....cant wait till i get mine done been working on it for a few months now should be ready to go in and paint the main box part and then start working on the outer finish pieces i want bass this summer dangit been without for about a month
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    The "air bubbles" that you can see on the left side are just gaps between the fleece and the fiberglass where the fleece puckered a bit. All the layers of fiberglass are firmly sandwiched together. This box is very strong. I can easily stand on it without it bending at all.
    Oh, and on a side note, fiberglass random weave mat SUCKS! It is way too stiff and rigid to work around anything more than a slight bend. It frays too much to leave a smooth surface, requiring piles of bondo or hours of sanding. It sucks up way too much resin. I'll never build anything with it again.
    After the first layer and a half, I switched to fiberglass cloth weave. MUCH easier to work with, drapes 100x better, and doesn't suck up nearly as much resin. It doesn't lay up as thick so you have to do more layers, but it's well worth it.
    The cloth weave ends up being quicker to use since you don't have to mess with trying to make it stay in place like you have to do with the mat. Plus, since it takes less resin, it ends up being a lot cheaper. Even though the cloth is more expensive per sq ft. than the mat, the resin is much more expensive than both.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Options
    great job...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Look sharp Austin...is that a Mustang btw? It looks like it from the tail lights, but im not sure...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I've never seen a sub mounted in moldy cheese before. Cool!
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    my thought exactly then i realized it ain't colored yet
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    Options
    nice work
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Yeah, I figured I'd try something a little different this time. Plain ol' fiberglass is just so cliche'. Moldy cheese just really brings out the clarity that fiberglass doesn't offer. The softer cheese box gives a richer, deeper bass that I love :)

Spwuinmk - yes, it's a mustang.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thats cool bro. It looks like it was in there stock (except for the moldy cheese thing).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Austin thank you for posting this picture... my buddy has a stratus and I suggested him glassing something like that in a similar location.... he seemed to like the idea since it would still allow for alot of trunk space.

anyways that post 1k for adam
    -adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Here are a couple pictures of how I finished my trunk. After getting the thickness I wanted with the Spectrum, I had a lot of brush lines and stuff. I decided to spray my trunk lid with the same rubberized undercoating stuff that I used for my MM6 fiberglass pods. It looks a lot better and a lot smoother than just the spectrum alone.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Plus, it'll match my sub box when I finally finish it.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    here's a closeup of the terminals that I used. You can get them here

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    so before I painted it this morning, I decided to try the ol' water test... CRAP! I could hear an air leak when I pushed on the cone, but the dang thing leaks like a sieve in a couple places. I'll have to put on another layer or two in certain spots. This would have all been done a week ago if I hadn't started with that dang fiberglass mat. :mad:

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    Options
    lesson learn'd, then... for me, i mean :p

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    Options
    haha...if you have leaks id put at least 3 more layers...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    haha...if you have leaks id put at least 3 more layers...
    -Cody
    I just did this morning. 2 layers on the minor leaks, and 3 on the problem areas. Should be in ship shape by the time I get home from work. It was kinda cold this morning so I mixed the resin a little hot.

BTW, I've heard of this being done, but I wonder if it's actually effective: Does spraying sound deadener inside a fiberglass box have any benefit?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    don't do that......
    cats.vans.bag...
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by swerve
    don't do that......
    why not?

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    Options
    yah, why not, i figured i'd do that to my midpods...

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    i heard that doing that is very bad and it messes everything up including the sub magnet and even the air waves it emits.... my friend told me this... the same friend who helped me hookup my components.. so it's vary reliable infurmaeshun...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2005
    Options
    ah, your friend may have been thinking of the icky fumes some products give off as they dry, which can and will melt certain materials found in the construction of some speakers... which is why you don't put your sub in a box you've sealed with caulk for at least 2 days...

and the entire point of the stuff is to mess with the airwaves the sub emits :)

• swerve
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    ah, your friend may have been thinking of the icky fumes some products give off as they dry, which can and will melt certain materials found in the construction of some speakers... which is why you don't put your sub in a box you've sealed with caulk for at least 2 days...

and the entire point of the stuff is to mess with the airwaves the sub emits :)
    i was being a moron... no need to get technical... this is the friend who marked the tweeter and midbass wires wrong.... i then proceeded to basically re-rewire... yea good times

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Sound Deadener in a sub enclosure is a good thing, especially a sealed one...

It will help cancel out the backwave, it also helps the enclsoure dampen the rattles. I am a fan of foam pads that line the enclosure myself... good stuff...

And yes, dont put a woofer in a sealed enclosure that just had caulk put in it ;)

Make sure you put some type of foam tape around the cut out hole...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.