Want to buy an Xbox or PS2...which one?

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited June 2005 in Video Games
I'd like a gaming machine to hook up in the theater. I went to Best Buy and talked with an employee who knew Jack. So here I am, I want one that does 5.1 surround and has, at minimum, an S-vid connection perfer one with component.
My biggest question is how these would look on my 85" screen via my front projector.

Tips, suggestions, pros, cons of the machines.

I know new models of both are comming. The BB employee said prices will soon drop on the old units so I want to buy one when they drop.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    IF you're integrating this into your theater, then XBOX all the way - no question.

This is a topic of hot debate for many people, but most will agree that XBOX has better graphics, and will do DD 5.1 and HD games...
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Couple things:
    -Depending on what you budget is and how long you can hold off, the next gen of consoles are coming out starting this fall. Didn't know if you might be interested.

-Xbox definitely has the better sound. It has true DD 5.1 output in games as opposed to PS2 doing Pro Logic II at best. The 5.1 makes a huge difference during games like Halo.

-PS2 and Xbox both have cables that allow for component video out.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    -Xbox definitely has the better sound. It has true DD 5.1 output in games as opposed to PS2 doing Pro Logic II at best. The 5.1 makes a huge difference during games like Halo.

I have at least once game (SSX 3) for the PS2 that has full DTS sound, and most other games I play have at least Dolby Digital. So while there may be MORE games for the XBOX that have digital sound, there are still a good amount for the PS2 that have it as well.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bknauss
    edited May 2005
    Options
    The PS2 cannot handle in game discrete 5.1 (they left out the hardware for it). As an example, if you play a game and look at a person shooting a machine gun, if you turn around 135 degrees either way, you'll notice the machine gun sound is now coming from either the left rear or right rear depending on which way you turned. The PS2 will matrix the sort of thing on the rears and it doesn't sound nearly as good or as exact.

So yes, you are correct that those games have DTS and DD, but they're not discrete 5.1 and will never be on the PS2 (I was pretty bummed when I heard about this).
    Brian Knauss
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'd wait for the next generation of console(s) myself.. the PS2 is pretty much outdated by todays standards.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    I know new models of both are comming. The BB employee said prices will soon drop on the old units so I want to buy one when they drop.
    Did you guys miss this???
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Options
    yeah, i'm guessing Ron's not a game nut or he would have a console already and just wants to test the waters on the cheaper... I'm sure the new consoles will run what upwards of 3 -400 bucks.... NOT me, :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Ron-P
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Exactly. I enjoy some gaming from time to time, nothing life changing here. The current Xbox would work fine for me and that is the direction I'm leaning.

Has anyone played these games on a front projector? If it looks like crap I don't even want to waste my time to try it out.
    If...
  • bknauss
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Polkmaniac
    Did you guys miss this???

Yes I did! :)

Ron, I would head over to www.avsforum.com and check out the front projector forums along with the home theater gaming forums. Tons of knowledge there that should answer any question you could ever think of. From what I've seen, even sub-$2000 FP make video games look good.
    Brian Knauss
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I own the xbox and say go with it over PS2. For my past Bday my wife borrowed a projector. I hooked up the PS2 to it and It looked good (I didn't have a screen just the wall) I wish I would have had the xbox at that time. But my vote for overall is xbox. Better sound graphics faster processor.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Ron Get a Xbox and don't look back

I own both and the Xbox is much better. Audio and video as well

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'd say go for PS2 because it has a *much* larger game library. You can delve into the PS1 game library and once the PS2 goes out of date, the games you have now will work with the PS3, no other gaming console has this type of compatibility save gameboy (classic/pocket, color, advance.)
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'd say go for PS2 because it has a *much* larger game library. You can delve into the PS1 game library and once the PS2 goes out of date, the games you have now will work with the PS3, no other gaming console has this type of compatibility save gameboy (classic/pocket, color, advance.)
    To put my views onto the field, I'm buying an SNES and N64 soon because they don't have as much flash-bang effects and more fun gameplay.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Anony,

Agreed, my XB is modded, love the media center. You hear the Xbox 360 is going to incorporate their own media center?

Gates let it slip one time to a European reporter that he loved playing with Xbox Media Center, the reporter said you had to have a modded Xbox to have the media center, Gates promptly changed the subject.

So it does not surprise me to see it on the 360, I just hope Bill used the same fellas that made XBMC.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited May 2005
    Options
    i'll take an 8bit Nintendo with The Legend Of Zelda. YEEHAAAHHHH!!!!!!!
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Xbox, hands down.

Pros: better graphics, built in hard drive for memory( no cards to buy), true dolby digital surround, music can be saved to the hard drive and listened to while you play, and most important reasons are HALO & HALO 2.

Cons: bigger and heavier than the PS2, but who cares?

PS2, no way!

Pros: Larger game base than Xbox, and more compact console.

Cons: longer loading time (in my experience of having both), you have to buy the memory cards to save your games, you also have to buy a multi-tap to game with more than 2 people at once. I could keep going, but I think this clears it up good enough.;)

(Just my 2 cents)
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thanks guys, looks like the Xbox is the way to go. It was the direction I was leaning even before starting this thread. As soon as I see the price drop on these, I'm buying.
    If...
  • bknauss
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by aaharvel
    i'll take an 8bit Nintendo with The Legend Of Zelda. YEEHAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

That's what NES emulators for the PC are for :)
    Brian Knauss
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    That's what NES emulators for the PC are for :)

I'm playing it on my PDA at work right now. :D