SRS 2.3 for sale

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited May 2005
    The 2.3's are a much different speaker as are the SRS's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    Now these are not SRS but hey I think its a pretty fair price and he said thats what he "wants" to get for them.
    RT1

they're not SRS 2.3's? what are they? aren't the 3.2's, 1.2's, etc all SRS's? or just SDA's? i'm so confused :(
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited May 2005
    I'm about 150 miles from Boston and would love to get ahold of a pair of 2.3's but 1k is just a bit steep for me right now.
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by danger boy
    they're not SRS 2.3's? what are they? aren't the 3.2's, 1.2's, etc all SRS's? or just SDA's? i'm so confused :(

When the term "SRS" is used by itself it usually refers to the original 1985 SDA SRS.

You are correct that there were several speakers within the SDA SRS (Signature Reference Series) line: SRS (original), SRS 2, SRS 1.2, SRS 2.3, SRS 2.3TL, SRS 3.1TL, and SRS 1.2TL.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight
    When the term "SRS" is used by itself it usually refers to the original 1985 SDA SRS.

You are correct that there were several speakers within the SDA SRS (Signature Reference Series) line: SRS (original), SRS 1.2, SRS 2.3, SRS 2.3TL, SRS 3.1TL, and SRS 1.2TL.

thanks..

then some of the SDA's (1a,c, 2b, etc) are non SRS's i take it?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    You take it correctly... SRS = Signature Reference Series. Matt did not autograph the SDA 1's, 2's, etc.

billbillw,
    And there was a pair of SRS on ebay that sold for a $999 BIN price.

Any seller that's wants to "give away" anything will find a long line of buyers ready to oblige him. Those sales are anomalies that don't even deserve to be included in a calculation of their worth any more than the $700 "good will" sale that db just landed.

So quit throwing out the low-balls and I won't site the SRS auctions that topped $3k... yup... three-grand...

fvd,
    $1000 is fair... not a steal... not overpriced... it's fair.

But please do not let UPS anywhere near them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    billbillw,
    And there was a pair of SRS on ebay that sold for a $999 BIN price.

So quit throwing out the low-balls and I won't site the SRS auctions that topped $3k... yup... three-grand...

I don't think I was looking at low balls when I gave my opinion that $1k was too much for a set of SRS 2.3. Look at the PolkSDA page and you will see that the only two pair sold on Ebay in 2004 went for less than $700. Another auction on Ebay for a pair in December had a starting bid of over $900 and it didn't receive any bids, ie: no sale! If anyone has a recent Orion bluebook, I'd really like to know what they say.

Tour, you said in a posting on April 9th that historically, these sell for $600-$700. Now all of a sudden you think they are worth $1k? I find only one auction in the last year that went for more than $800 and that was still less than $1k.

I feel like selling prices on the FleaMarket should be slightly lower than Ebay or Audiogon, due to the ease of selling here and the lack of any fees, but like I said before, fair market rules. If someone wants them at that price, that's great! Just don't get on my case for stating my opinion on the price. It sounded like fatvoodo was looking for a quick sale in some of his posts and he obviously isn't getting that here since no one has stepped up yet at that price. I was trying to let him know that was a little high for the Flea Market, especially if he's looking for a quick sale.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2005
    Look up prices for SDA-SRS 2.3tl. This is a lot different then the 2.3
    I was looking for quite awhile for these speakers.
  • fatvoodoo
    fatvoodoo Posts: 7
    edited May 2005
    Hi everyone,

now I am quite well educated about the value of these speakers and the best ways to sell them. Of course if someone from the forum offered me $1k I would accept. But, if not one does, I will go ahead and sell them elsewhere and post a notice here. I hope that for the condition and history my speakers will be able to fetch $1000, if they sell for less I will still be happy since I will have gotten a truly fair market price. My attitude is that if I sell them like this, and regret it a few years from now, I should be able to find another pair on the market for a similar price and not lose my shirt. So these is no need for a big debate. If someone wants to grab them now for $1k before I throw them on ebay or wherever, please let me know, Otherwise, I think this forum is awesome and a terrific place for knowledge, and thank you all!
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    jt,
    He can't look up 2.3tl's in the public Polk database cause there are none there. In three years of ebay data I've seen two pair close.
    Originally posted by billbillw
    I don't think I was looking at low balls when I gave my opinion that $1k was too much for a set of SRS 2.3.

Tour, you said in a posting on April 9th that historically, these sell for $600-$700. Now all of a sudden you think they are worth $1k? I find only one auction in the last year that went for more than $800 and that was still less than $1k.
    Yup and that's right for 2.3's. But we've established these are 2.3tl's... Apples - Oranges. And it's not what I think they're worth, it's what I know based on data is fair.

As for low-balling... When you cite SRS sales under $1000 to rationalize your valuation of any other Polk, that's low-balling.

As for Orion, forget it... If I could get SDA's at Orion prices, I'd have a house full of them just to keep the fireplace going in winter.

fvd,
    You are absolved of any responsibility for "discussions" that have occured or will occur...

Your biggest stumbling blocks here are shipping cost and folks not knowing you. Both make it hard to do a long distance deal. But give it a few days before you 'bay them. Some local may look in that can audition them and carry them off.

If you do ebay them just say so without posting the link. It's just considered bad form around here and besides, we'll see it.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight
    You are correct that there were several speakers within the SDA SRS (Signature Reference Series) line: SRS (original), SRS 1.2, SRS 2.3, SRS 2.3TL, SRS 3.1TL, and SRS 1.2TL.

SRS 2's... ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by faster100
    Guess i shoulda snagged the 2.3's for 250 when i coulda got em local.. just needed some tlc and tweeters:(

Are you referring to the ones I bought on Ebay in Tampa from Mr. Fuca? They are TL's...and look wonderful. I installed new tweeters from Polk and had new cabinet tops and bottoms made from Solid Oak. I can post pics if you are interested.
  • billbillw
    edited May 2005
    As for low-balling... When you cite SRS sales under $1000 to rationalize your valuation of any other Polk, that's low-balling.

Whatever dude. My rationalization was based more upon the recent sales of SRS 2.3 whether TL or not.

No sense in debating this any further, I already admitted that I was outnumbered in my opinion. You won't change my mind about the value of these though.
  • danger boy
    edited May 2005
    so who lives in the Northeast in here who's looking for some SDA's?

I can't comment on the price... i'm not that familiar with what the market will currently pay for them. It would be nice if they went to a club member though.

ANyone in MD close enough to go check them out or any interest in them? MD to MA is how far?
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by bdaley6509
    Are you referring to the ones I bought on Ebay in Tampa from Mr. Fuca? They are TL's...and look wonderful. I installed new tweeters from Polk and had new cabinet tops and bottoms made from Solid Oak. I can post pics if you are interested.

yup! I had a side deal on these from the beginning... then some things came up and didnt have the money.. Ive bought from Joe before, he's cool, I just didnt need speakers this big anyways..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005

Yeah, and when you take into consideration all the SDA's that I, and others, gave away as gifts, the average price goes way down.:p
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    SRS 2's... ;)

Yeah, and SRS 2's. The list is amended accordingly.:)
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2005
    Whatever dude. My rationalization was based more upon the recent sales of SRS 2.3 whether TL or not.

No sense in debating this any further, I already admitted that I was outnumbered in my opinion. You won't change my mind about the value of these though.
    I prefer Mr. Dude...

Trust me, I held no belief that I could change your mind. I was simply rebutting your points, a couple of which IMO misused information I'd previously posted.

Bottom line, all I was saying was that there is a difference in the marketplace of $400 +/-. Whether the tl's are worth the difference is an individual decision... and on that we can agree...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Philpfeif
    Philpfeif Posts: 25
    edited May 2005
    I decided to buy these at the asking price and sent him a personal message. I never got a reply and today I see they are on eb*y. His reserve was lower than his asking price so I may get them cheaper.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited May 2005
    He also has them listed on Audiogon...be something if he sold them twice.
  • fatvoodoo
    edited May 2005
    Haha, folks, don't worry... I am only selling them once! I posted on Audiogon but no real offers, so I decided to auction them. I have gotten a lot of interest there, it seems to be the right place to sell.
  • hotlavajay
    hotlavajay Posts: 2
    edited June 2005
    ok i think that they are the 2.3tl ?? are they still for sale -- are they in boston -- i live in portland if they are avail!!! i dont really want to talk about them sorry just want to buy them and listen -- ive got 2 adcom 565's ready to get this spaceship off the ground!!:)
  • billbillw
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by hotlavajay
    ok i think that they are the 2.3tl ?? are they still for sale -- are they in boston -- i live in portland if they are avail!!! i dont really want to talk about them sorry just want to buy them and listen -- ive got 2 adcom 565's ready to get this spaceship off the ground!!:)

Sold on Ebay last month.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2005
    Sold on Ebay last month.

So what did they end up going for? Just curious, It is hard to believe noone here grabbed them. If I didn't live so far away they would be sitting in my house as we speak.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited June 2005
    A member from here did pick them up. Philip from hanover PA there is a thread about them. I think they sold for $900 but don't quote on it.

JT
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by jtgranby
    A member from here did pick them up. Philip from hanover PA there is a thread about them. I think they sold for $900 but don't quote on it.

JT

Hmmm... Must be that disappearing fabric:D :D:D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2005
  • fatvoodoo
    edited June 2005
    Hi folks, I did sell them, they went for $900. I hope he is happy with them but I haven't heard anything since he came to pick them up. I tried to represent them accurately.

I just found the manual and brochure for the speakers, so I guess I should mail them down to him now.

Now I just need to decide what to do with my old NAD gear...

Thanks to everyone for the quality advice on this board, it made selling the Polks a very good experience.
  • ND13
    edited June 2005
    Just happy that someone here did end up with them. They should still live a pampered life. What's up w/ the NAD gear?
  • fatvoodoo
    edited June 2005
    I have a 6340 cassette deck, a 5340 cd player (with the LED fix installed), and a 7240PE receiver. I have the manuals for them all I think. I also have the remote control for the cd player, which is the worst, most hilariously awful remote I have ever seen my whole life.