polk subs (450 or 650)

Options
bounty5
bounty5 Posts: 20
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Thoroughly enjoying the pair of RT15's i received for xmas this past year. I am now contemplating a sub. I am very impressed with the performance of my smaller R1, and RT15 speakers. Does anyone out there have, or use Polk subwoofers? any thoughts on which is better (i know more is probably better) than any other?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    do you have a price you have in mind? is sive a queston there are a tube sub from what i have herd they are suposto be prety good and if you want to you can buld one your self if you have the tools and nack this is what i am going to buld when i decide on what and pick out my subs i figure it will cost about 500 for the subs and encloser
    aaa.jpg 17.5K
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Frankly I wanted either a velodyne sub or sunfire sub. Very impressed with there tight and Powerful base. But one problem---not cheap, and very expensive...Polk aren't really known for there subs but I will give it a try. Plan "B" I wanted to listen to polk subs with an open mind . Boy oh boy was I surprised when I heard the 450 . But later saw and heard the 650. WOW what a differance. Much more attractive with high gloss black {like velodyne} and more powerful and tighter. Two 10"'s one on each side vs. one front facing 12"er. Exactly what I was looking for and at a MUCH lessor $$$ amount. I hope this answers your questions. Have fun ,that's what it's all about.......
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2002
    Options
    both subs are very good.What you need to consider is placement.The psw650 is not as forgiving as the psw450 is.It's harder to setup as it fires out the sides.The psw450 is front firing and rear ported which also causes concern but you can correct that by simply pulling it away from the wall.
    The 650 really should be placed on a side wall,that is a good place to start for placement.The 450 can go in your front array.I personally like a sub in the front of the room and far away from where you sit.I find that my bladder is always empty when the sub is close by.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bounty5
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i guess i never really gave the placement of the sub any consideration. My choice at this point is open. I would like the 650(I think) because it would be the first really good piece i could add to my system. My thinking was that for the additional $100, i would be much further ahead with the 650. The addition of this sub for me would be a big improvement, as i have been without a sub since starting down this audio trail some twenty years ago. My placement would actually have to be behind the couch, or under a table to the right. The front(non speaker) would be at about 3:00 to a viewer of the tv and stereo. The speaker(s) for the sub would be at about 12:00, and 6:00, one firing towards a wall, and under a chair, the other towards the couch (about 2 feet away) New to the logistical planning for this, any suggestions?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2002
    Options
    If you can aviod behind your couch, you would alot happier.Putting sub's close to you can be most tiring.Mot to mention it will make you pee.I don't really know what your room looks like but if you post a pic of your room, I could make some good starting point's.Without being in your room setting it up,You can see where it performs the best.(you nedd to get one first).Just remember that you don't really want to hear it ,just feel it.It should blend in with the rest of your system,believe me thats not an easy task.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    this is a pic of my room i also hae more in the system showcase and teh sub will be behing the seccond couch and i have no room up front to put a sub
  • bounty5
    edited March 2002
    Options
    A most impressive array mantis. I do not have a digital, so i will do my best to describe herein. Livingroom is basically rectangular. If you look at a rectangle with the shorter sides forming the base and top, the couch would be angled in the lower left hand corner. The tv, stereo and primary speakers are located opposite to the upper right corner. Immediately to my right(from the couch) is a small table. Slightly in front of that(moving upward) is another chair. If you were to look across the room(from lower right to upper left) of the rectangle(room) there would be another chair. The entertainment system with the cabinet and primaries pretty much take up the entirety of the corner facing the couch. Thus my initial thinking about the placement of the sub under the table. If i recall, the 650 has a phase control which would allow some flexibility with placement, but once again, I am new to the sub game and all that goes with it. Any ideas?
  • bounty5
    edited March 2002
    Options
    my mistake, an impressive setup to "Goingganzo" . Must sound good bouncing off the walls in there.
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited March 2002
    Options
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    goingganzo

Very nice setup. Man between you and Ron-P it makes my setup look childish:)

Oh well its great to see people out there putting all there effort into a room they love. Makes having friends over all the better.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png