Boston Acoustics, Image Dynamics, or DynAudio?

kenstewart
kenstewart Posts: 139
edited May 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, got opinions on DynAudio but hoping to get a comparison/opinions of how you would generally rank the three listed in subject line? Primary consideration is for SQ.
Eclipse CD8445 HU
Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
Post edited by kenstewart on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2005
    ID, BA, Dyn
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2005
    Which lines? What's your price point? How many people have heard two of these lines, if all of them? I've heard some BAs and IDs before, but haven't heard Dyns yet.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Which lines? What's your price point? How many people have heard two of these lines, if all of them? I've heard some BAs and IDs before, but haven't heard Dyns yet.

I figured all three brands are high-end so was just looking for general opinions. For SQ, if you've had a chance to listen to any of these brands, which is generally better? I'm in my 30s :D and want clean bass.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2005
    another Ancient? weird...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    another Ancient? weird...

Yeah, guess I was supposed to stop listening to music when I turned 30. So call me a rebel ...
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Yippee!! Somebody else on here is over 30!!

Ive not heard any Dyn's before but Ive heard tons and tons of wonderful things about them.

I have heard the ID's once before in a shop and they were very good but nothing spectacular.

I have listened to several Bostons and generally dont like them. I think they are way to bright and thin sounding. However I love the Pro series. They have enough midbass to make em right. Excellent speaker.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Came close to getting one (BA 8.4LF) off Ebay, but stopped bidding 'cuz I was unsure. I mean, my RF sounds pretty good (I really need to get out there and fine tune it) but the mystery of one of those top dog subs really intrigues me. Oh well, my next project is sound dampening my entire cab. I was searching other forums and found some guys who use Peel and Seal. Supposedly same stuff as dynamat but loads cheaper. Bought some today, two 25' rolls for $25.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    dyn, id, boston
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2005
    Dyn ID Boston.

never have been a big fan of the Boston sound. I'd say focal before boston..or even MB quart. Could throw some Diamond Hex series in their too! Oh yeah..and CDT!
    \
    By personal experience...I love my Dynaudio speakers. I have no desire to ever change them...except to maybe some other Dyn speakers ( ie...360's with the upgraded tweeter)

anyway...good luck...and as you find out...everyone will have a different opinion. I was fortunate to be able to A/B the Dyns and the Focal Utopias side by side... I'm using Dyn :)
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Thanks fellas for the inputs :) I'll keep my eye out for some Dyns then.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I have listened to several Bostons and generally dont like them.
    Originally posted by exalted512
    dyn, id, boston
    -Cody
    TrappedUnder Ice
    Dyn ID Boston...never have been a big fan of the Boston sound. I'd say focal before boston..or even MB quart. Could throw some Diamond Hex series in their too! Oh yeah..and CDT!

*long, deep sigh*
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    but... isn't the whole point to get what you like?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    *long, deep sigh*
    if i wanted 500 watts RMS per crossover, id go with Boston, otherwise I'd take something else. sorry to disappoint you but dont say i didnt warn ya
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Boston isnt that bad. Yeah they tend to be on the bright side but they dont suck.

And like I said their Pro series is flat out awesome! As good as anything out there but at $600 it had better be!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Thanks, Mac. I'm sure I'll like 'em when I get an amp and the tweeters in place (if I ever do).
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2005
    Here are a couple of other high end speaker companies.

Rainbow:
    http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=2

CDT:
    http://www.cdtaudio.com/car_audio.htm
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • redgst97
    redgst97 Posts: 1
    edited May 2005
    I have heard cars with all 3 brands over the years (Im over 30 also)....

I have heard great sounding cars with each, and poor sounding cars with each....so, a good speaker does not a good sounding car make.

The best soundign Dyn cars (IMO) were using a 3-way front stage (7, 5, tweet). The sound is typically very mellow, and almost "thin".

ID have 2 ways...HLCDs and conventional drivers. I have had both in my past cars. Properly set up HLCDs have tremendous SQ advantages. However, be forwarned, it is easy to have poor sounding horns. Horn gets 15-20 watts. Midbass gets 100 watts, and the subs get 500 or so. You DONT need a 31 band eq to make them sound good. The best part about horns is their (basically) natural tendancy to have better imaging characteristics out of the box. "Smooth" transition is sometimes difficult, so you have to play with phasing.

Most of the Boston cars I have heard were not die hard SQ cars, but guys with decent systems. Unfortunatley, this may not be a fair comparison. I agree with the above, that they can be harsh on the top end, but do (seem to) have great mid bass.

Why try a set of Polk Momo Speakers?

John Marsh
    Team Polk
    Sound, Show, & Go!
    www.teamallstars.com
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by redgst97

Why try a set of Polk Momo Speakers?

John Marsh
    Team Polk

I assume thats supposed to be "why NOT try a set" and in that case I agree.

Why not wait a bit and get a set or at least audition a set of the new Polk Signature series?

• kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    I'm mainly looking for an SQ sub at this point. My Polk DB570s are new and I'm very happy with them. I'm sure eventually I'll change them out for some more serious speakers, but for now just want to get a better SQ sub than the RF that I have now.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2005
    RF=SQ :eek:

SQ sub..that wont break the bank! IDQ's and Adire

have fun.
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    RF=SQ :eek:

SQ sub..that wont break the bank! IDQ's and Adire

have fun.

You see my point then w/RF. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eye out (the other one too) for subs that you all have mentioned.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by kenstewart
    I'll keep my eye out (the other one too)

LOL
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    so... RF is sq?? :confused:

• MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    Dont be knocking RF now.

Yeah theyre way too popluar and all but they have always been very solid gear. Especially now with their completly re-designed equipment (especially the Power line), RF is as good as anything out there.

• neomagus00
    edited May 2005
    no, no, that was an actual question... i was under the impression that rf is way towards the spl side???

• MacLeod
    edited May 2005
    LOL!!

I get ya bro.

RF has always made good showings at SQ competitions. Their amps have always been superb, making tons of bulletproof power. Their subs are loud and clear and make a good addition to any SQ system.

Their speakers, while not crappy, arent my favorites but I are still solid pieces.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited May 2005
    hehe...remember...there are 2 lines...the line most folks use- the punch line....
    then the power line. Power line has always been decent. but The I'd put the old punch line against any of the power lines today!. When I say old...I'm not talking 800.2's... I'm talking like DSM models. Now those were amps.

for a while there...2000=2004 rf was utter gargabe IMO...but thats me. I remember in the day... when it was RF-MBQ for SQ... heading off against the likes of PPI, ORion, Linear power and Sound stream.... I have not heard the new RF stuff...they are un godly large amps...and have no room for amps of that size. Still... I would not put RF stuff in the SQ catagory myself... :)
  • finfin
    finfin Posts: 11
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by kenstewart
    Came close to getting one (BA 8.4LF) off Ebay, but stopped bidding 'cuz I was unsure. I mean, my RF sounds pretty good (I really need to get out there and fine tune it) but the mystery of one of those top dog subs really intrigues me. Oh well, my next project is sound dampening my entire cab. I was searching other forums and found some guys who use Peel and Seal. Supposedly same stuff as dynamat but loads cheaper. Bought some today, two 25' rolls for $25.

Where do you get this peel and seal stuff? Sounds like just what I've been looking for.
  • kenstewart
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by finfin
    Where do you get this peel and seal stuff? Sounds like just what I've been looking for.

Bought at Lowe's. Should be able to find similar products at Home Depot or other hardware stores. There are several for and against using this product so do searches on other forums and make your own decision. I did and decided to go with it.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal