Polk DB570s and sub/amp configuration question

kenstewart
kenstewart Posts: 139
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all, I mistakenly put this in the wrong forum so now I hope I'm in the right place (now this is my first official post). Anyway, here's my current setup:

Sony CDX-F7715X HU (23.2 watts RMS internal amp)
Polk DB570s in all four doors
Audiobahn A2002T two-channel amp
Waiting on delivery of 8" RF 3408 sub (200 watts RMS) in enclosure for my sport trac

Question: Want to get the best sound quality, not looking to set off alarms or break windows, just want great audio clarity. Should I stick w/running the Polks off the head unit and the sub off the amp or tri mode two speakers and the sub off the amp?
Eclipse CD8445 HU
Image Dynamics CXS54 Chameleons component setup
Two 8" Image Dynamics ID8D2v.3 subs
MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
MTX MXA3002 2-channel amp for comps
Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
Stinger and Knukoncpetz wiring
Post edited by kenstewart on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    You definitely do NOT want to run your speakers off the head unit. Not nearly enough power there to make your speakers perform their best.

You dont need a ton of power, 45-60 would be perfect. If that Audioblah is a 50x2 amp then that would be good for them.

For the sub, no special technique to this, just get an amp that most closely matches the power handling of your sub. In this case, 200 watts RMS.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Thanks MacLeod. Would it benefit me to hook the two fronts and the sub in tri-mode or are you telling me to go with two separate amps, one for the four speakers and then a separate for the sub? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this audio stuff.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    If your amp is tri-way capably then you could run it that way however I recommend getting dedicated amps. More flexibility in tuning.

I assume that Audiobahn amp is 50x2 and 200x1? If so, run your sub off that amp then get you a 50-60x2 amp for your DB's.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    You're right on the specs MacLeod. How about if I upgrade to the A4002T, here are the specs:

2 ohms 200x2
    4 ohms 100x2
    Bridged 400x1

Would this work for my speakers and subs or too much power?
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    i'd keep the one you have for the sub, and grab a small one for the fronts. you can go 4-channel if you want to amp fronts and rears. all you need is 50W per channel.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    Hmm....a SportTrac has a relatively small cabin. If I were you and I didn't car much about my rear passengers hearing great audio, I'd definitely consider just going with front speakers. Will greatly enhance your soundstage and just overall sound, especially if you're looking for sound quality instead of volume. Also, if budget isn't a main concern, I would definitely look at getting some better amps that the Audiobahns; not very good pieces, I believe. Also, I'm thinking that the SportTrac is pretty new, so it might already have places for tweeters. If it does, and you're big into sound quality, I might look into getting some components for the front (and ditching the rear speakers; no matter what else you do).

I'm not at all familiar with that sub; do any of you guys know if it's worthy of something nicer than an Audiobahn amp?

And most definitely go with separate amps.

Let us know how it goes!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    this is becoming more and more apparent to me, so i may as well say it now:

every amp sounds the same!
    There. now, the differences arise in the features and the build quality. e.g. it's worth it to pay more for an amp that has a crossover with better components, or one with a more extensive xover. it's worth it to get one that doubles its power rating as impedance halves, because this indicates solid build quality and an abundance of headroom. a more expensive amp can also indicate better components, which, while not affecting sq, can increase the longevity of the amp by being more durable and by exhibiting less value drift over time. a more expensive amp can also carry a better warranty.

exception:
    class d: due to the current application of class d topology, they're only good for subs, with WAY too much audible distortion above the sub-bass range.

so to answer audiobliss's question, that audiobahn amp will do just fine for that sub.

i also concur with his suggestion of running only fronts, as you will achieve better detail. if you regularly carry passengers or desire somewhat-increased volume, by all means, buy and amp all 4 corners. if you choose to go with no rears, certainly consider components.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    The main reasons I was suggesting getting better amps (besides stepping up in audio world....lol) are: better reliability, better functionality, more headroom, and better re-sale value.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    bull s*** every amp sounds the same...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Reliability, functionality, headroom, and re-sale value don't have a thing to do with sound.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    head room has a lot to do with sound
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Then, if more headroom improves the sound (as it does), not all amps sound the same. All amps (so it appears in the CA world) sound the same tonally.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Perhaps "every amp sounds the same" is a bit too broad. There are audible differences mostly relating to power. A more powerful amp will sound different than a less powerful one. Also amps with EQ's and processors (i.e. Kicker SX) will sound different. However, being of the same power, with all EQ's and sound processing turned off, they will sound the same tonally.

Audiobahn amps are powerful but I dont like their build quality and dont trust em. Plus any manufacturer that puts flames on their stuff automatically goes to the bottom of my list.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Plus any manufacturer that puts flames on their stuff automatically goes to the bottom of my list.
    Then say goodbye to Crossfire. Their new design has flames all over it ;)
    -Austin

btw, I'm just kidding
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Going back a few replies, I do have rear passengers enough to warrant the rear speakers. This amp doesn't have any flames btw :D Anyway, you guys have sold me on getting separate amps. I'm also interested in the suggestion to put tweeters up front.

Guess I should have clarified up front, I'm not looking to spend hundreds of $$ on an amp, so consider me a budget audiophile. I'd love to have the equipment a lot of you guys have, but not interested in investing as much. I got this one for $149 which includes the installation. So, based on that looks like I've surmised from your responses that this amp should be ok for my sub (remember budget :). Thanks again for all the info, going cross-eyed from reading all the different forum posts but sure am learning quite a bit.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Well, he's still alive!! lol Glad you're back!

A tight budget, eh? Boy, I'm all too familiar with that. Looks like you're going to want a 4-channel amp for your four speakers. Now, if you do decide to with components up front, they'll need more power.

Are you planning on sticking with Polk speakers? What size openings are on your SportTrac? Exaclty what is your tight budget for everything?

I bet we can figure something out here. Also, do you buy online?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    ...I bet we can figure something out here. Also, do you buy online?
    The correct answer here, by the way, is yes.

And i suppose i should have clarified - i did indeed mean tonally, before distortion sets in. some amps clip softer than others, some can handle higher peaks without clipping, etc., but none sound 'warm' or 'mechanical' or anything else... with the possible exception of the special kind of distortion tube amps have. but again, when not driven to distortion, tubes sound the same as anything else.

• kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Yes I do buy online. From reading other posts I've seen several people recommending the Profile series amps for someone not willing to shell out a bunch of dough. As far as how much to spend, since I've already spent $149 on this amp I don't want to spend any more than that for another amp. Oh, yes I plan on sticking with my Polk speakers since I like their sound and I've heard nothing but good reviews about them. Only had them a couple of weeks though so can still turn them in for some components depending on cost (I bought my Polks for $150 for the four speakers).
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Forgot to answer your other question ... 5x7/6x8 openings on all four doors.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Hmm....with my inexperience, that doesn't tell me much. I bet the others know how large a round mid you can stuff in there if you buy components....I don't.

Where did you buy your db650s? If you bought them at an online retailer, we can look there for some components so you can just swap in your old ones with some money for the components. If you bought them at a store, then I guess we can look at any online retailer. The major places to look are www.onlinecarstereo.com and www.cardomain.com, right?

EDIT: I meant db570s.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    since you said you do carry passengers, you do probably want 4 speakers, and there's no way you'll get components AND coaxes for that price.

check here for retailer links, i'd help more but food calls!

• kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    I bought my DB570s from Circuit City, they had the buy one pair get second for half sale. From other posts I've seen people having to modify the speaker openings and then using brackets to mount anything other than a 5x7/6x8. To save the hassle though, I am quite happy with their sound so far and should probably look at finding a decent, low-cost amp which I know will bring them to their fuller potential. Since my HU provides 23.2 rms and these speakers are 60rms, I figure I can get even better sound by amping them, true???
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Most definitely. That HU is not putting out 23.2 watts rms, I would bet. An amp would do wonders for them. If you're satisfied with them, you should just keep them and focus on finding a decent 4-channel amp. That's probably your best plan.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Thanks audiobliss. What would be too much power for these speakers since I'm now ready to go shopping for an amp?
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    If you were to go with some components, this is about the cheapest you could do it. Polk db5250 They'd sound better, but if you're satisfied, you probably don't need to spend that much more.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    absolutely. profile makes quality 'value-added' amps. this baja model suits your needs well. you will need one thing, and that's a highpass on your HU.

i say you stick with the coaxes, though.

• audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by kenstewart
    Thanks audiobliss. What would be too much power for these speakers since I'm now ready to go shopping for an amp?

I would say you need to find something putting out about 50 watts per channel. I'm not that familiar with different amps, but Mac could probably point you to a MTX amp that's rated at 40x4 that actually puts out more like 60x4; that'd be about perfect.

I'd say you don't want less than 50 real watts, and you don't want more than 80 or so real watts; though, that depends on how much you turn 'em up, I guess.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13987

This could make for a good amp. HiFonics makes good, clean, powerful amps for a pretty reasonable price.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • kenstewart
    edited April 2005
    Neo, yes my HU has both high and low filters (believe they're 78 and 125khz). I found this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5765792003&rd=1 but don't know if its' too much power.
    Eclipse CD8445 HU
    MTX MXA6001 amp for subs
    Accumat and Peel-n-Seal
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    that would work, but i'm scared of ebay. if you go through paypal or somesuch, you may be able to gain a measure of protection against seller fraud, in which case i say go for it.