Amps for my system....finally...

Comments

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    Glassing is easy. If neccesary, try on something that doesn't matter first. As far as the whole panel, just cut out the part you want to cover, for instance, just the indented part, or just that line that goes around. Then when finished, cover the whole area with the grille cloth. The fans are pretty quiet. Depending on how you mount them could effect how loud they are. If you mount them straight to the mdf as opposed to using a rubber bushing or something inbetween the fan and mdf, then one might be quieter then the other. They also make ones that are longer, so you could just use that one on the one side, and leave an opening on the other, once again maybe covered in the cloth. Maybe a fan like this .
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    rather than all the bother with glass, if you build a long, low box (one that stretches the entire width of the rear cargo area, is about 4-5 inches high, and maybe 15 inches deep), and mount said box just behind the rear seat, you can carpet it, stick an amp or 2 in it, fan it, and be on your way. hell, if you build it sturdily, you can still use the entire cargo area, just stick stuff on top of the box, no biggie. you can hinge the entire top or only parts of it or none of it, whatever. oh, and for fans, you can hook em to the same wire as the 'acc' one for your HU, so that when the accessories are on, the fans are on. or mount em on a separate switch. or use a thermostat, when the temp gets too high, fans go on no matter what. the possibilities are endless.

this may clarify what i'm talking about:
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    That's exactly what I was originally planning on doing. However, since it'll probably be a while before I get another amp, I thought I'd just make the box just big enough for the Alpine amp.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    doing that makes it slightly more obvious, i think... if it goes all the way across, it looks more like a part of the car rather than an extra piece. it'd take a sharp eye to spot the difference, though.

building the smaller one allows you to come up with ideas for the big one in the interim, too...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    I think I've changed my mind - again. I *think* I want to go ahead and make the long box now. It will have to come out (toward the liftgate) a lot, though.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Here's what I've got so far.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Would that set-up allow for enough ventilation? Would it be too noisy? Do I really need to put a divider in the box? I'm not sure why I did that....

What kind of wood should I use to make this? I'll measure my car sometime today, I hope.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    id make grooves on the sides and in the back for cooling. you wont be able to hear the fans, its 4 ft behind you, behind seats, and in a box...
    heres what im talking about...and i added a few extras...
    enjoy
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    i would put both fans on the top, but one in one corner and the other in the opposite corner (maybe two of each if you're building the long box, in which case each fan gets a corner, say the 2 left fans are in and the 2 right are out).

if you were to go with slots, ALL the fans would be doing the same thing, else they'll just move air around the edges. i would modify cody's design a bit, make them real ventilation slots instead of cutouts... i dunno why, it just 'feels' better to me...

you can use pretty much whatever wood you want, i'd pick something light, make it 3/8" thick if you're not going to be putting stuff on top, up to twice that if you are.

and no, a divider would defeat the purpose of the fans. and i think cody put **** on your headrests...

• audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Haha! I don't think I can add quite that much stuff!

I just got to thinking.....I wouldn't have to make sides to this box, would I? I could just make the front and back parts run jam-up against the wheel well; then I wouldn't have to worry with sides. Am I missing something here?

Also, I will be putting stuff on it, so that'd be, ummm..........3/8.....x2...........6/8!!!! Oh, wait a minute........3/4!! lol And since I'll be putting stuff on it, I don't really want to have the fans in the top of it.

I'm not going to be doing anything as fancy as slots. This will be a quick, easy project (that will hopefully work! :p)

'Nother question: If I put the fans in the side like I have shown (below) and then I stretch carpet out over the box, how will the fans breath? Will they be able to get enough air? Also, where in the world will I be able to get carpet that will match mine?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    id put the divider in the middle for strength reasons. I dont think youll have a problem with cooling. id keep the cut outs like the one i drew and put a fan in the divider. A single fan should do. i dont think youll have any cooling problems honestly. my amps are touching the back of the seat and theres 4 of em...i dont have a problem. theyre fosgates too which are notorious for getting hot...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    So one fan in the divider and one in each corner like in my drawing should be fine?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    cept the in-fan has no air access, it's up against the seat (or maybe the pic's at the wrong angle). if you're going to put stuff on top, yay for the divider. oh, and you can put grille cloth or a real grille or somesuch there. a real grille would help prevent you from poking something through the fan. the sides will help in the channelling of the cooling air... okay, more than that, if you leave the sides off the fans will be worthless. crutchfield has carpet, i'm sure a bunch of other internet retailers do, too, and local shops may have a selection as well.

• audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Wait a minute; why will the fans be worthless if I leave the sides off?

And where would I put the grill cloth? Do you mean on the fan in the divider?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    putting grille cloth on a hidden fan doesn't sound very useful :). the fans will be useless with no sides because then there's no reason for the air to sweep all the way across the box, it'll just move around a bit near the fans. but... hmm... leaving the sides off and having one fan per compartment blowing in, and no divider fan... that forces air in and allows it to come out as it pleases, and if the box fits closely to the sides of the trunk, the flow will be reasonably even over the whole edge... mounting the amp near the fan would become slightly more important, though. and you would put the grille cloth over the fan where the carpet would be if you hadn't cut it away to allow the fan to breathe. the cloth isn't absolutely necessary, it just helps hide it a bit.

• audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    So you're saying that I would need to cut away the carpet where the fans are going to be? If this is the case, I'll have to rething fan placement.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited April 2005
    Go with my idea dangit... Stop complicating things...jeez
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    For those who haven't heard your idea (and for those with short term memory loss.....:p), do explain your idea.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
    UGH...

This is starting to annoy me man... I explained this to you alot...LOL

OK...

Fans need air to move air (we know)...

He wants a clean install

Fans do not look 'clean'

So take the back of the box, make the back of the box be recessed about 2 or so inches, and mount several fans (100 if u want, I dont care), in and out, w/e...

Leave like 1" from it and the back of the seat...

You can also drill all kinds of holes in the box, cover it with carpet... w/e...

Putting the fans in the back makes it need no carpet in the back...looks 100% clean.

1) CANT SEE FANS
    2) A POSSIBLE WAY TO EXTEND WIRE MANAGEMENT
    3) COMPLETELY USER FRIENDLY
    4) LOOKS GOOD!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Ahh, yes; I remember now. LOL

One problem, though: I will need to carpet the 'back' of the box, also. The back of the seat can be laid down, and I don't want you to be able to see bare wood and fans when you lay the seat down. It would then no longer be a stealth install.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
    Get gray grill cloth, stop b*tching, grill cloth wont matter since I doubt yall be riding with ur seats down all the time...
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Ok. It sounds like I have a plan. I can't think of anything else (except for the wiring of the fans....I'm lost about that...). Build this box (with sides, I guess; unless I can butt the front and back so close to the wheel well that it's as if they were the sides) and figure out how to do the top. Oh, that's right; a top.

Do you think I should hinge the top to the box? Or have it completely removable? It might be more convenient if it were completely removable. How could I 'latch' it to the box, though, if I don't hinge it?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
    Put velcro under the carpet... use screws

Hinges mean vibrations...noise...yuck
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    Hmm...great idea. I could just velcro the top to the box. However, this would necessitate that I make a 'lip' inside the box for the top to rest on. Man, this is getting more invovled every minute.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
    You could make a 1/4" recess, then take 1/4" board, put carpet over it, use that as a 'fake' top to get to the removable top...

You could do hinge, but I would use foam tape around the edges, and put a lock on the back...
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    I totally did not follow that.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2005
    LOL I followed that. I didn't understand anything about the fake/real top door 1/4" recess & 1/4" board and so forth.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited April 2005
    Forget that...

Do the hinge with the foam tape and lock..

Foam tape will eliminate rattles