Too many sources: How Do I connect ?

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I want to purchase the new Dared 2000A preamp, but I have four sources(CD, DVD, Tuner, TT) but this preamp has only two inputs.

Any suggestions ? how do I connect my sources. Is there are a wayout that can be used without sacrificing the Audio quality.

Please help !

Thanks

Tapesh
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Cardas, for one, makes excellent quality "Y" connectors (1 male RCA, 2 female.) I use them with no discernable change in the quality or character of sound in my system. I purchased mine at Audio Advisor.

Mike
  • tapeshc
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thats what I thought initialy but wont that be a problem.

I mean one can split the signal but when you are merging signal, wont it create problem with the preamp or the sources.

Short or something like that, because we are merging signal, which is basicaly electrical current, if I know it correctly ?

By any chance if I have both the sources on what would happen ?

Thanks

Tapesh
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Options
    There should be no problem electrically. If you play sources simultaneously (I assume accidentally) you'll of course get a distorted output. Most preamps with multiple line stage inputs just do the same thing as an external "Y" internally.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    There should be no problem electrically. If you play sources simultaneously (I assume accidentally) you'll of course get a distorted output. Most preamps with multiple line stage inputs just do the same thing as an external "Y" internally.

Really??

Blue might be right, but I would not suggest it.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    It's fine to use the Y's.

If you have more than one source on, you'll hear both sources. No issues at all, as Mike stated.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    It's fine to use the Y's.

If you have more than one source on, you'll hear both sources. No issues at all, as Mike stated.

Cheers,
    Russ

Interesting, I would have never tried it out of fear of smoking something inside the pre or the output of the sources.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I'm doing this right now at work. I have two computer sources, one is a dedicated jukebox. I wanted them to both come in on the same input so that I could hear the sounds from my computer while the music was playing through the jukebox... without having to have two speaker systems.

Simply put two Y adapters on, and bingo. Now, I used cheapo Ratshack Y's, because sound quality wasn't a very big concern.

But yes, it does work, and works just fine.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Depending on the sources you could damage the output device in one of them. Most probably work OK. They are mostly capacitor coupled which means DC wouldn't hurt them but the actual AC signal of one is a strong load to the other if both are on at the same time. It would be a non-issue all together if you put a resistor in series at the outputs. Of course this would never be optimum for HiFi listening.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Options
    madmax,

I'll certainly defer to your knowledge here. What is the alternative? Come off one of the inputs to a multiple jack expansion box with switch selection?

Mike
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Agreed that using a Y-connector may cause a problem, I was thinking this same thing a while back for the Dodd, Gary told me the unit cannot take the Y-connection.

I have seen some switch connectors for around 30-40 bucks, dont have a clue though how well they actually work.

RT1
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Does the preamp have phono inputs and phono preamp?

I don't know of a good no-noise solution other than a preamp with more inputs. You could use the DVD on one input and everything else going through a second preamp (lesser quality one) with its output going into the second input.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I believe the Dared is a line stage only preamp. Hey, they're relatively cheap - gre two of them. Problem solved. ;)
  • tapeshc
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone !

So the conclusion is, I shouldnt try merging signal, it can hurt sources. :(

I was just trying to bring down my investment, as we are planning to buy a house and we need money.

I thought I will sell Pass Lab X2.5 and get Dared SL-2000A, it will do two things, save money and tubes :).

Buying two :) will still save money but what will I do for amps ?

Thanks

Tapesh
    Thanks

Tapesh