How do you measure a cable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kevinvb11
    Kevinvb11 Posts: 105
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've thought about this the last couple of days. I've read all the comments and opinions and have possibly come to some conclusions.

First, one cable may sound different than another. Most seem to be on the same page by saying that a given cable doesn't sound bad and is pleasing, but only sounds different. A difference that makes the sound more pleasing or not. If one agrees that it is more pleasing than the original cable, but if one was to go back to the original cable they still be pleased despite the change in sound. All this gets mixed into another fact that one persons very pleasing cable is anothers not-so pleasing. So, with this said it makes much sense for one to try out as many cables as he or she can and find the most pleasing one, even though what they had to start with was originally pleasing.

Second, I don't like what I see people getting for thier money. I've looked at many a cable over the last few days and see one trend. I see coax cable terminated with a very nice looking and quality connector, coax wraped in a braided material, heat shrink wrapped around the ends to hide the termination point of the covering and what ever else and then a professional looking lable and possibly "mystery box" somewhere near the termination point. Not to say that the cable that's hidden in braiding isn't different quality from another, but it looks like most companies use the same process I mentioned above with little regard to how it may sound. And why should they? A general concense is that one given cable may or maynot sound more pleasing depending on ones' equipment. Yet, with this said, I can't figure out how these companies get away with it. A quick example; a person buys 3 diferent cables ranging from 4-400$ per 1 meter run. He starts with the 400$ cable and listen to it for a week. He enjoys it and then gives cable B a try, cable B cost 4$ and looks every bit, but it still sounds good too, but still it sounds a little different. Cable C cost 40$ and when this person plugs it in he noticed a subtle difference but can't decide if it's better, only that he gives it the nod in the end because it sounded different and the best on what he thought was a match for his components. He likes it so much at first, but then gets annoyed at the fact he spent $444 dollars to realize all the cables sound good, but just a little different and that there was no lable on the box stating which gear works with what cable.

I don't really have a third point as of yet but will state that I'm willing to keep an open mind from now on and give a few cable a try and try to notice a change in the sound and hopefully for the better.

For starters I'm going to get this monster cable from crutchfield since I have a $150 gift card to waste there.

Kevin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Kevinvb11
    For starters I'm going to get this monster cable from crutchfield since I have a $150 gift card to waste there.

Kevin

Why waste money? Try out the cable swap.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I haven't been impressed with any of the Monster Cable stuff I've used, granted it was on the lower end of their line.

I agree...try out the cable swap program.

Aaron
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I agree with Aaron and PT, nothing to impress and therefore a real waste of money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk