Dead tweeters/Monitor 5 jr+ Series 2

Options
agfrost
agfrost Posts: 2,421
edited April 2005 in Troubleshooting
I'm hoping to resurrect these speakers, which I damaged some years ago and have had stored since. I somewhat abused them once, attempting to fill a too-large room for my buddy who was getting married on the cheap--the tweeters in both speakers have been silent since. No buzzing, or any noise of any kind. Drivers seem OK.

Anyway, my question is how do I diagnose the problem definitively? My assumption is that it's the tweeters themselves, but I suppose it could be somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for your replies. You've got a nice forum here.

Cheers,
Jay
Jay
SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
Post edited by agfrost on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,879
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Not sure what tweeter protection those had, but check for fuses on the binding post plates first.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks for your reply--I'll investigate.

Cheers,
    Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Remove and unplug the tweeters from the cabinet and then use some jumper clips to connect the tweeters directly to your speaker wires. Dive the tweeters at a low level and then you’ll know for sure if their blown. You can buy replacements from Polk for ~$48 each, make sure you mention you’re a Club Polk member to get that price.
    O
  • agfrost
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks, that's a very helpful suggestion, and something that falls within my skillset. I'll reply with the results later--right now I'm busy celebrating Illinois' comeback victory to go to the Final Four!

Cheers,
    Jay
    Jay
  • agfrost
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Well, I connected the tweeters directly and got nothing, so it looks like I'll be purchasing a couple new ones!

Thanks for your help.

Jay
    Jay
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited March 2005
    Options
    That may be a good thing. Many people feel the replacement tweeters for the vintage Monitors have better sound. I replaced the tweeters on my 10B’s and I have to agree.
    O
  • agfrost
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Just a quick update:

Ordered the replacement tweeters from Ken and installed them. Success! I had forgotten how nice these speakers sound, and I'm sorry I waited so long to repair them!

Thanks again to those of you who helped me.

Cheers,
    Jay
    Jay
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,879
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Jay,

That's great news and glad you're enjoying them again. Stick around, most of us don't bite.

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk