PSW303 pops w/RM6700 + Onkyo TX-SR701

Options
thepet
thepet Posts: 6
edited March 2005 in Troubleshooting
Anyone with this config (or close) experiencing a loud 'pop' thru the subwoofer at heavy bass moments (think depth charges in U-571)? I am currently playing with settings, just wondering if I am alone. Front L/R is wired with 12-guage thru SW, they are set to Large and SW set to "No". All components are plugged into a Monster HT800.

I can also re-create this when playing LOTR:ROTK EE when Frodo is about to toss the ring. DVD player is an Onkyo DV-CP701
Post edited by thepet on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hello,
    Sometimes that kind of sound is caused when the woofer's voice coil former (the cylinder that has all of the voice coil wire wrapped around it) hits the pole piece (the pole piece is the metal disc at the back of the magnet structure). In short, the voice coil and its former are attached to the back of the woofer's cone. When making bass sound the woofer has to move fairly large distances forward and backward. If the woofer is asked to go beyond it's capabilities you will hear the back of the former hitting the rear pole piece plate. Its not a good idea to allow this to happen very often, you will begin buckling the voice coil former and then it will start scraping against the inside of the voice coil gap. Keep in mind some DVDs have tremendous bass peaks that are many times greater in amplitude than the average levels. Until you learn where these peaks are its best to go easy on the bass levels.
    Regards, Ken
  • thepet
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks Ken!

Is this a design flaw? Is this homeowner correctable? In the end, unless correctable, this sounds as if I have to live with lower bass levels.....not gonna happen.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Not a design flaw, but rather a limitation of a sub that sells for $299 in a retail store. The PSW303 is a good performer for the money, but an SPL sub it ain't. Sounds like your bass expectations are higher than this sub can produce - time for an upgrade!
  • thepet
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I like that thinking! I'm ready.

Truthfully, I actually did not think that my receiver/speaker combo could exceed the capabilities of this sub.
  • fireshoes
    edited March 2005
    Options
    They can't. You need a new receiver and speakers too. ;)
  • thepet
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Ouch....nasty.
  • fireshoes
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hahaha, no, the 6700's are good for a tiny speaker, but if you're going beyond o 303's capability you are more than likely going beyond the 6700's capabilities too. "Think tower speakers."
  • thepet
    edited March 2005
    Options
    funny thing is, the 6700's are outstanding for my room, a 6.1 setup.....a 10' by 20' den, wood floors, catherdral ceiling, one 3.5' door opening.....sounds great except for that occasional pop.

Not related: I can also make my Onkyo receiver activate Protect mode (during one of the battering ram scenes in Return of the King).
  • thepet
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks much Zero.

I have had the 505 in my sights for just the reasons you mention.

I will also tone it down a tad.

Interesting though, I had originally hooked up the sub as Polk suggests, with the front L/R wired thru the sub, set to Large and SUB=No, using the sub crossover. I tested the LFE (monster) cable from the receiver to the Filtered Line-in, set Front L/R to Small and Sub=Yes and receiver crossover. Actually seemed to work better, with better Bass at lower volumes (watched new Incredibles dvd and did the U571 depth charge test). I could still recreate the pop but at settings a volume just below the 'pop' level, the bass sounded better with the LFE cable setup.

Anyone have any strong evidence either way about the sub setup?