Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Options

Comments

• brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited June 2007
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Well, I see your problem... you've got a quarter in there that must've shorted something out! ;-)

No, no.no. I contacted Emoiva support with that very thought in mind, they told me to leave the quarter in there or I'll only get "1/4" of the output I should. ;)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I got an Atlantic Technology A-2000 7 channel amp today. This thing is a beast at 76lbs. Rated 120x7. It was a steal at $600 ($1499 retail) so I had to try it out. It's going back due to a buzzing coming out of all 7 speakers, and they don't have another, oh well...thought I would snap some pics anyways.

They are made by Eastech, the same OEM that manufactures the Parasound classic, and Audio Refinement amps. Odd thing I noticed inside, is that there are 8 10,000uf caps inside, odd since AT claims 18,000uf per channel for a total of 126,000uf:mad:
  • XJRGUY
    XJRGUY Posts: 258
    edited June 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    She already caught me.....and with these....if anyone can name these, I'll send you a couple goodies......you can't answer this Russ

Panasonic THRUSTERS!!

LOL!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2007
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Odd thing I noticed inside, is that there are 8 10,000uf caps inside, odd since AT claims 18,000uf per channel for a total of 126,000uf:mad:

They probably play the same game as Parasound where they count all the little caps too. Still, that seems like a big difference. Over 40,000. Unless all those little blue caps are 1000-2000uf, that's a lot to make up in small caps.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    They are made by Eastech, the same OEM that manufactures the Parasound classic, and Audio Refinement amps. Odd thing I noticed inside, is that there are 8 10,000uf caps inside, odd since AT claims 18,000uf per channel for a total of 126,000uf:mad:

This is another reason why it's important to survey the guts so you'll know what you're buying (or bought). I pop the hood of virtually everything I buy. Most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm looking at, but I can tell high quality parts from crappy parts.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • CvillePolk
    CvillePolk Posts: 46
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Been going through some old files on the computer and found these. I used this for a while but I was in a transitional phase with my big system at the time and it was kinda wasted with what I had so sold it.

Not as initimidating as the ~60lb Sony SCD-777ES i used for a while or as elegant as the XA7ES I still use as a transport but a really pretty piece in person and the kind of statement piece that Sony does every once in a while to just show that they can. Been a while since I looked through the whole thread so sorry if I missed one of these already being posted.

Attached are the 'guts' pictures and then links to a couple of glamor shots I used when selling it.
    http://users.rlc.net/rb/xa777es/Processed/rightsideangle.jpg
    http://users.rlc.net/rb/xa777es/Processed/backnice.jpg
  • XJRGUY
    edited July 2007
    Options
  • XJRGUY
    edited July 2007
    Options
  • XJRGUY
    edited July 2007
    Options
  • XJRGUY
    edited July 2007
    Options
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Melos Sha-1,,before mods to the headphone section
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,195
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Not all of you get excited by Sony equipment, but I am a big fan of the really good Sony ES gear. I finally got some gut pics of my E80ES preamp. This thing has some really impressive build quality considering it was mass produced. The whole preamp weighs more than 25lbs and has the famed "G-base" which is a thick composite of calcium, polyester, who knows what else. Its like a rock! Non resonant, non conductive, ideal for audio.

Nice clean front.
    E80ESfront.jpg

**** End, Plenty of inputs!

E80ESback.jpg

Inside shot. Nice an clean. Easy to work on. Separate boards for power, phono, main (input/gain), and balanced in/out.

E80ESin1.jpg

Easy access to the main board from below. Can anyone say mods?

E80ESbottom.jpg

Power supply section. Separate trannys for analog (big one) and digital (smaller one). More capacitance than some receivers! Nice big 10,000uf (x2) caps for the analog supply.

E80ESpower.jpg

Here is what makes this preamp really shine. It has a great phono section! This is probably one of the best phono sections to be found in a mainstream solid state preamp. I have some plans for this section including replacing the coupling caps with Blackgate NX, upgrading the opamps, and upgrading the power supply caps (yes, the phono board has its own regulators and filter caps).

E80ESphono.jpg

Is this the best preamp out there? No, definitely not. But it is damn nice sounding. Very very quiet, tons of inputs, NO input crosstalk, excellent build quality/reliablity, a great phono stage, AND remote controllable! That's everything I need.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Mo guts please. :p
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I'll bite.

Odyssey Khartago, Candela
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mike53
    Mike53 Posts: 21
    edited August 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You guys are lame....imagine re-tubing this to the tune of 22 tubes....

Now this is my kind of receiver. A Fisher, maybe?
  • speakergeek
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I'll bite.

Odyssey Khartago, Candela

Nice caps!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Mike53 wrote: »
    Now this is my kind of receiver. A Fisher, maybe?

Correct. Fisher 400 :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MusicMagic
    MusicMagic Posts: 2
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Greetings,
    This is one of my favorite threads on any forum. I just had to sign up to make a contribution. You really get to see what you pay for.

Below is some comparison shots between the once $6000 Gryphon Tabu Century, and the Danish made NAD S300 integrated (which I own and love), including the use of the same volume pot and Sanken output devices.

S300ABOVE.jpg

TABUABOVE.jpg

s300inside.jpg

Gryphoninside.jpg

NadSanken.jpg

TabuSanken.jpg
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Man those are hot!
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the forum MusicMagic. Thanks for sharing the pics.

How do those sanken output devices rank as far as transitors go? Those are the same brand that I have in a couple of my proton amps. Even the capacitors look like they might be the same in my protons? here is a couple pics of a D-1200. It uses 16 sanken output transistors.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Interesting,they both have almost identical board layouts and parts. Me thinks they were designed by the same person(s).

btw welcome to a fellow Canuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited August 2007
    Options
    snow wrote: »

How do those sanken output devices rank as far as transitors go? Those are the same brand that I have in a couple of my proton amps. Even the capacitors look like they might be the same in my protons? here is a couple pics of a D-1200. It uses 16 sanken output transistors.

REGARDS SNOW

Maybe you already know this but Proton and NAD were related back then. Much like AMC and NAD are to a certain extent today. So parts and topologies are similar.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • speakergeek
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice stuff.....
  • speakergeek
    edited August 2007
    Options

REGARDS SNOW

Oooh. Big CAPS.
  • MusicMagic
    MusicMagic Posts: 2
    edited August 2007
    Options

REGARDS SNOW

Thanks guys,
    It really is a beast weighing in @ 60LB. As far as the transistors go, I've read that these Sankens are very well regarded, but since I haven't experimented with DIY projects by switching them out, I can't say how they affect the overall performance. The caps are 10,000uf each, and come from a company called nichicon. I beleive the two amps ressemble much more than a mere coorporate relationship. The engineering appears too similar if not identical.

IMG_1469.jpg
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2007
    Options
    MusicMagic wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    It really is a beast weighing in @ 60LB. As far as the transistors go, I've read that these Sankens are very well regarded, but since I haven't experimented with DIY projects by switching them out, I can't say how they affect the overall performance. The caps are 10,000uf each, and come from a company called nichicon. I beleive the two amps ressemble much more than a mere coorporate relationship. The engineering appears too similar if not identical.

IMG_1469.jpg
    Thanks for the info. I checked a minute ago and yes the caps in 2 of my protons are nichicons also. The caps in my little 40 watt intregated D-540 amp are 10,0000uf and 4700uf. The big caps in the D-1200 in the earlier post are 20,000uf.

Here is a few pics of the little 40 watt proton, Note the nice sized dual transformers. Not exactly sure what these actually bench test out at, but I can tell you for sure that its a lot more than 40wpc lol. and there bridgeable for mono use. And they are dirt cheap on ebay if someone is looking for a pair of decent amps to bridge mono for your 2 channel system on the cheap, I cant think of a better way.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I love the Proton DPD amps...I have 2 d-1200's and 2 AA-1150's...when I set the 2 AA1150's up in the bedroom I will peel off the covers and see how close in construction they are to the d-1200's ( I know they are a dual mono design like the d-1200 but they are not bridgeable )

I will also pop the top on one of my RF2000 amps...they have two 42,000uf huge caps inside and a 1,000 volt-ampere rated toroidal transformer too.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • speakergeek
    edited September 2007
    Options
    This is the best thread on the net IMO....
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2007
    Options
    This phono stage technically went out of production in the early 2000's. However this is 1 of 4 that were just built this year by Ron. Thanks to CP member Spacedeckman I was able to steal one!

Top View
    img2213eu3.jpg

Bottom View
    img2215gq4.jpg

Closeup of Chasis - The Bic pen is laying on the thinest piece of solid aluminum on the whole thing. This thing is built like a tank!!!
    img2218tz1.jpg

Back
    img2225ua4.jpg

Front - Still has protective plastic and ribbon on face.
    img2226hx6.jpg
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,