Newbie Dakota system

dakotaboy
dakotaboy Posts: 47
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I'm almost 17 and I'm getting my grandpa's dodge dakota and I need to get a sysetm for it. I started looking at 1,000 watts of power from audiobahn and really didn't have that kind of money. Well after searching at sounddomain.com I found many products that I think are a good deal but seeing as I am new to all this I have no clue. MY friend has been helping me a lot on this so hopfully I'm pointed in the right direction. Alright, enough with the jibberish, this is what I was planning on...
Panasonic CQ-C3100U: http://www.cardomain.com/item/PANCQC3100U?vq_id=none
Price: $114.95
• Anti Theft: Removable Faceplate
• Preamp Outputs: 2 sets
• Preamp Output Voltage: 2.5 volts
• CD Changer Controls: Yes
• Remote Control: Yes
• RMS Power: 25W x 4
• Peak Power: 50W x 4
• CD Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
• FM Mono Sensitivity: 11 dBf
• CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 95 dB
• Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.02 %

Polk Audio GNX12DVC: http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLGNX12DVC
Price: $95.95 (2)=$191.90
• Size: 12 inch
• Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.85 cu.ft.
• Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.25 - 1.75 cu.ft.
• Free Air Usage: not recommended
• Sensitivity: 93 dB
• Frequency Response: 18-400 Hz
• Recommended RMS Power: 175W (2)=350 watts
• Peak Power Handling: 400W
• Impedance: dual 4 ohms

Polk Audio db Series db6750: http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB6750?vq_id=none
Price: $219.95
• Size: 7
• Sensitivity: 92 dB
• Frequency Response: 35-22,000 Hz
• Recommended RMS Power: 100W
• Peak Power Handling: 300W
• Impedance: 4 ohms

MTX Audio Thunder1004:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX1004
Price: $329.95

• Amplifier Type: Multi-Channel
• RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 125W x 4 @ 14.4V
• THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: <1%
• Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 500W x 2 @ 14.4V
• Speaker Level Inputs: No
• Preamp Outputs: Yes
• Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
• Bass Boost: 0-18 dB
• Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
• Signal to Noise Ratio: >100 dB
• Fuse Rating: n/a

I think I am on the right track with all the speakers but have o idea on the amp, I figured the multi channel would be best to run the whole system? Anways please help me figure this all out...and will this set up be a really nice in a dakota do you think? My intentions are to really make it bump...well thanks!
Post edited by dakotaboy on

Comments

• duane26
    duane26 Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    First off your amp selection is a little to much power for your setup, the 125 is underrated and I don't think the db's would be able to handle that much. I have the mmc 6500 and a mm 2124 and I am running them off of a mtx thunder 684 and that amp is all the momo series needs. However, I am still a newbee and don't have any experience with DVC subs. Although from what I've heard that amp is a beast that only runs off of 1/0 gauge power wire!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Agreed. That MTX is putting out over 150 watts per channel which would be way to much for those DB's.

Also, you should get the DB sub. The GNX are ok but you need better. This is the one Id recommend.

For an amp, I think youre on the right track going with a 4 channel amp in 3 channel mode. This will cut down on cost and installation hassle. Youre also right in going with MTX. They are some of the best amps on the market and now that theyre on clearance at Sounddomain, you cant lose. This one would be a perfect match for your setup.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    But thats where I get confused. With the "DB" subs it has a RMS power of 360. Well if I have two of them thats 720 watts and now I would need a amp that satisfies 720 watt subs, correct?
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Pretty much it's the amp(s) that confused the hell out of me. They have the rms and the peak, I know you want to stay at the rms. NOw what I do not get is do you have to have a amp that puts out the amount of watts that you have. For example, i have a stereo that has subs and component speakers that put out 800 watts. What I am wondering is don't I now need an amp that is atleast 800 watts. Thanks for the help
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    OK, I thought you were going with a single sub set up. If youre going to use 2 subs then you would need another amp. But this would put you needing about a 700 watt amp which puts you in the $400 range at least for that one amp alone. For a Dakota, unless youre really wanting to impress your friends, a single sub setup might be better. The cab is pretty small and you dont really need 2 12's.

But if you are set on dual subs then here are some options. This Sony class D amp will handle both pretty well for $265. This Phoenix Gold is a little less powerful but is a little better amp and goes for $320. This JBL is a very solid amp at $350 and would easily handle those subs. A Hifonics for $320.

Now as for matching amps with speakers, a speaker rated at 100 watts means that 100 watts is all the speaker can handle give or take some. You should power them as close to this number as possible to get the best performance out of your speaker. You can go over a bit, say 120, and be ok cause youd have a little more headroom and likely never use the full 120. But you wouldnt want to go with 200 cause you could easily go beyond the limits of the speakers.

This JBL would be a good match for those DB6570's. So would this Phoenix Gold. Out of the choices Ive listed, I would go with the JBL amps.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Thanks MacLeod,
    I am actually getting all this stuff now. I actually picked out that
    Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:1 just a little while ago and figured that would actually work. As for it being a little dakota...it is all about impressing my friends. My only competition so far is a 92 bronco with one 15. My dakota is a 2001 extended cab, not the third/fourth door. It was my grandpa's but hes giving it to me. I really want it to hit pretty hard, thats why I'm aiming for what I posted. Think it will hit really hard? The probelm is where am I putting the boxes? So far my thoughts are to put the amp undernieth the drivers side and get two sealed or ported (which one will hit harder?) boxes and put them right behind the driver passanger seats...but still manage to have enough leg/foot room. Once again I need to know if those subs will hit plenty hard in the dakota because my girlfriend is ordering them somtime this week and for the rest, I have to wait for my 17th birthday in april pretty much unless I make enough lol. Evything for the set-up is staying the same except the amp which will now be that phoenix gold but anwyas...Thankyou to everyone that has helped with this so far and sorry for all the writing
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    How much are you willing to spend.

If youre wanting sheer SPL then Polk subs might not be your ticker. They are geared more toward SQ. Dont get me wrong, they will hit pretty hard just not as hard as say an Orion or MTX will.

You can still go with Polk and impress your friends. You can get this MM2124DVC and push it with this MTX 801D. That would not only hit very hard but sound very good as well. Build a very solid, sealed enclosure to .88 ft3 volume and youd be set.

Now if youre wanting to spend a little more than here is what you could do. You could spend $600 on this Orion H2 and power it with this monster MTX 1501D and assuming a proper installation, you would be one of the loudes dudes around, and the cool thing would be youre doing it with a single sub.

Stick with the Polk's for front speakers tho. You aint gonna find better for the money.

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    alright so maybe I havent made my final choice yet, if you are still on, you can instant message me at KTiesBug37, it would be very helpful, thankyou
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    just looked at those orion's, a little out of my price range...which is 100-120 per sub so whta is the hardest hitter for those prices and could you find an amp to go with it that is cheaper like that mtx one you just showed me, thanks
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    SPL subs cost a good bit cause they are way heavy duty built and you aint gonna find one worth its salt for $100.

I guess you should just stick with the first plan of dual DB124's and get the JBL amp and be done with it. It wont be super loud but it will hit pretty hard and sound good too.

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    MacLeod, sign onto instant messanger. Maybe i'll save up for an all out earth shaker mtx subs/amps and get my moneys worth
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Alright so far I have heard very good things about the MTX Thunder 5500 I now will have enough money for two of those 12's but can someone find a mtx sub that will power them, thanks.
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by dakotaboy
    I now will have enough money for two of those 12's but can someone find a mtx sub that will power them, thanks.

huh? try sayin that again...you mean an mtx amp to power the 2 12" dbs? I know this is probably a little late too, but I'll have to agree with shying away from the GNX's, had them. While they weren't the worst, the new db's are much better I'm sure. Although while the GNX's were rated at 175 rms, I gave them over 220 for a while, not complaints until i really cranked them, you could hear them getting pushed too far. If your budget is 120 for each sub, why not up it, just a little, then combine it and get one really good sub. Why not maybe one orion, or one brahama, or ****, or something along those lines?
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    MTX make great subs and they, like their amps, are built like tanks. Im overpowering mine by about 2.5 times and it doesnt seem to mind.

However, for that money, Id rather have a pair of Momo subs. The MM2124 are really great sounding subs. They might not be as loud as the MTX's but I guarantee you they will sound better. But dont misunderstand, the Momos will hit plenty hard.

Get a pair of MM2124's and power them with the MTX Thunder801D I showed you earlier.

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Well I'm settling with the MTX Thunder 5500 subs and to power that i'm getting the HiFonics Zeus ZX6000. Now I'm stuck trying to find out what kind of amp I want to power the polk comp's and what head unit I want...
  • spwuinmk67
    edited February 2005
    Look for an amp that does probably around 75x4, I'd say stick with hifonics for cosmetics. HU's....as I said on aim, my opinion is to stick with Pioneer, their Premier line preferably. The premiers have a better warrenty and better features.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Well just to update everyone for now:

Alpine CD Receiver CDA-9847
    Price: $185.00
    Link:http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14775

Orion H2 10” Subwoofer
    Price: $199.99
    Link:http://www.cbrstereo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=462&HS=1

MTX Thunder1501D Mono Amp for subwoofer
    Price: $359.95
    Link:http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX1501D

Polk DB series 6750 Component speakers
    Price: $219.95
    Link: http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB6750?vq_id=none

MTX Thunder202 2-channel amp for component speakers
    Price: $89.95
    Link: http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX202

Also, with all these watts will I need a audio battery or anything like that?
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    One little suggestion, the MMC6500's go for $250 at SoundDomain. For $30 extra you might want to step up to a better speaker.

Everything else looks good. Especially the H2! Youre gonna love it! :D

I wouldnt worry about extra batteries and all for now. The Dakota has a 136 amp alternator if Im not mistaken which should be enough. You may want to upgrade to a better better like an Optima or something if you have trouble.

• spwuinmk67
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    You may want to upgrade to a better better like an Optima or something if you have trouble.

Way to go!!!!
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Yea I actually have a red top optima sitting around, dunno if thats good but I'm so bored I'm going to look it up right now lol.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    dbs are 200, momos are 300...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    yea...not going to really have the extra money because I have to afford insurance now lol.
  • spwuinmk67
    edited February 2005
    Get a job! Or donate plasma(cody)...:)
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    hell yea...$150 a month:D
    how do you think i got my iridiums?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    Dude, i feel for you...

my first car (well truck) was my grandfather's old ram... which i thoroughly decked out with mucho audio as soon as possible.

enjoy my friend, enjoy... whatever you do , you'll re-do a hundred times, but it's all good - it's car audio bliss... ain't no fun if you're not installing at least SOMETHING every other weekend. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • spwuinmk67
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    enjoy my friend, enjoy... whatever you do , you'll re-do a hundred times, but it's all good - it's car audio bliss... ain't no fun if you're not installing at least SOMETHING every other weekend. :)

Ahh...how true it is.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    Yea I noticed that on through out the first night I checked out all these goodies lol.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    it's car audio bliss

Somebody call me? lol

Soudns like a pretty good set-up you got there. I would also recommend a Pioneer Premier CD player; I have the DEH-P860MP and love it. However, I almost got an Alpine instead; you can't go wrong with them, either.

You're gonna love that H2!!

CarDomain says that amp is not currently available, though.

I also almost bought some DB series components before I bought some Bostons. Good choice.

When I click on the link to the MTX amp for you components, it tells me that it's just 50 watts by 2 channels. That won't be enough for you DB components. Or am I missing something, forks?

Sounds like a pretty good set-up!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • spwuinmk67
    edited February 2005
    Two things....one, I'm surprised that no ones said anything, or that mac hasnt fixed sayin "get a better better" instead of battery. And two, i would recomend either a 50x4 or 100x2, maybe 75x2.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• dakotaboy
    edited February 2005
    My most recent set up...which I love so far and I have no idea how I'm going to able to afford it. Probably buying stuff one by one as the money comes in. About the battery, what would you suggest? Anyways heres the recent set up:

Pioneer DEH-P7700MP CD receiver
    • http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP7700MP
    • Price: $249.95

Polk Audio db Series Component speakers
    • http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB6750?vq_id=none
    • Price: $219.95

HiFonics Titan TX 4005 2-channel amp for Comps.
    • http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFTX4005
    • Price: $159.95

Orion H2 10” Subwoofer (dual 2ohms [10.2])
    • http://www.cbrstereo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=462&HS=1
    • Price: $199.99

HiFonics BX 1500D Mono amp for subwoofer
    • http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13121
    • Price: $279.00

Let me know what you think, hopfully I'll be designing a fiberglass box that molds over the rear tranny hump. Who ever sits in the middle back seat will probably have an orion sub in their crotch but oh well, not my problem lol.