New Thread #4: DO YOU WARM UP YOUR RPTV?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Before I watch a movie, I go downstairs into the theater and just turn everything on. In my DVD player is a disc of digital images from the space shuttle that I just play on a loop to let the TV "warm up" while I'm eating pre-movie dinner or popping popcorn or whatever. Does anyone else do this? Do you "warm up" your speakers?
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i don't have a RPTV...:(
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    Options
    never really thought about it before..do you think it is a good idea to let some sound go thru the speaks for a few minutes b4 cranking a movie ?
    i also dont have rptv to warm up:(
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Indrama
    Indrama Posts: 7
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I do,

You should always warm up you RPTV especially if you are going to do any adjustments - 30 min's.

as for the audio it's sort of like stretching befor a run, if there are any benifits, I'm not sure. but I do know one thing.....it doesn't hurt.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Amps sometimes require a half hour or so to stabilize at temperature. Semiconductor properties change with temperature. Therefore, the electronics will act slightly differently cold than warm. Of course, the electronic designers (hopefully) designed all the transistors to operate on the flat part of the output vs. temperature curve. The nature of semiconductor (solid state) electronics is that properties vary with temperature.

Warmup time is DEFINITELY required with tube equipment.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Nope. Just turn it on sit down a watch. After all, it will warm up while I'm watching it.

If there is a difference in picture quality, I cannot see it. Now if I am doing calibrations, yes I will let it warm up.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Audio-
    Definitely warm up the speakers... play some pre movie music. Start with volume level at 65-70
    then over the next 10 minutes move it up to about 45-50, which is what I watch movies at.
    Want those babies warmed up, before the artillery hits the fan.

Video-
    I just turn on the tv, to broadcast something or other, let it warm up a few minutes.

-luc
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've found that my picture gets warmer and nicer, and my (what's it called when the tubes are not aligned...?) gets noticably better as the tubes warm up on my RPTV. If I start it a few minutes early and let some sound and image play for a while, by the time I get down there it's perfect.

I'm still debating about professional calibration. It just seems so expensive.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • trubluluc
    edited March 2002
    Options
    In a word ....expensive.

Ron P. paid 400.00 to fine tune his tubes.

I know he'll say "worth every penny"...but...
    I went through everything, adjusted my convergence until I saw freaking blue and red lines on my ceiling...and called it good enough.
    And it is.
  • trubluluc
    edited March 2002
    Options
    In a word ....expensive.

Ron P. paid 400.00 to fine tune his tube.

I know he'll say "worth every penny"...but...
    I went through everything, adjusted my convergence until I saw freaking blue and red lines on my ceiling...and called it good enough.
    And it is.

-luc
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i just got my rptv and no one told me you should let it warm up i will have to try this out.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I don't use my HT system every day, so it spends most of the time OFF. I have a Sony RPTV. I let everything (amps, source electronics, and TV) warm up for a half hour before watching/listening. I do notice a slight improvement in the "warmed up" TV picture compared to the "cold" picture. The Sony also has a "Flash Focus" feature that automatically adjusts the convergence of the projector tubes. The manual says to wait 30 minutes after the TV is turned on to perform the auto-convergence.

By the way, when I was shopping for a RPTV, the salesman at Circuit City tried to sell me one of their famous maintenance contracts. He said it was very expensive to have the projector tubes aligned and that it was very easy for them to go out of alignment (I wonder how they survive that cross-country trip in the back of that 18-wheeler without needing a manual alignment?). When I asked him why would I need such a contract with a TV that automatically aligns the projector tubes, he said he had never heard of such a feature and that he was sure the TV could not do as accurate an alignment as a trained technician.

Sony customer service (yeah, they do answer the phone if you're lucky-and patient) said the tubes should only require a manual alignment if the TV has experienced some traumatic impact. So far, the TV has survived two cross country moves and the picture is as sharp as the day I first brought it home.

I listen to my main audio system every day and I leave everything ON.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I like to let my Receiver and front speakers warm up (the RT1000i's, the amps seem to work better when warm). As for the TV, the POSIT Toshiba can be turned on and played at any time, no warm-up necessary.
  • jdog1
    jdog1 Posts: 15
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by raife1

By the way, when I was shopping for a RPTV, the salesman at Circuit City tried to sell me one of their famous maintenance contracts. He said it was very expensive to have the projector tubes aligned and that it was very easy for them to go out of alignment (I wonder how they survive that cross-country trip in the back of that 18-wheeler without needing a manual alignment?). When I asked him why would I need such a contract with a TV that automatically aligns the projector tubes, he said he had never heard of such a feature and that he was sure the TV could not do as accurate an alignment as a trained tech.

dispite what you think the automatic alignment is set at the factory, "and saved to memory where it should be so it in a way
    it dosent really align the guns it just set's them back to a pre set that was saved to memory, >>>>i have seen many sony and hitachi "brand new" tv's that align the gun with there magic bull carp, and they are still out of alignment, and there is now way to fix it. ""without service codes" because it only resets it back to its preset alignment.. so buying that service might have been a good idea, alot of things can make the tv's guns shift in alignment, **** i have even head that the earths gravitation pull can do it over time, but i think that might be bs

my 2 cents magic focus,,,flash focus is a joe sixpack feature for the retail market ,,, and is a terrible feature to have on a tv

and it is ture that the magic foucus will never be as good as a trained tech , esp. after birth and then ariving at your house.

so go back and tell the kid ,,which probably was an idiot that
    he might have been kinda right....even though he was just making reasons for you to buy it

i will buy it on my next ptv, and they will wish they never sold it
    because im a picky sob, and after 2 times goming out the 3rd,
    they have to give me a brand new tv lol