Sub sound only, no speaker sound :(

Options
christyles
christyles Posts: 6
edited December 2004 in Troubleshooting
hello, i just finished installing my 10" polk momo sub in my truck. I wired it using a stinger amp wiring kit and ran the wires correctly as far as i can tell. when all was said and done, I have sound(bass) coming ONLY from my subwoofer and no longer have sound coming from my speakers. I have no clue as to what could cause this, any suggestions? thanks,

chris
Post edited by christyles on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Are your other speakers running off your HU, or an amp? Check your RCA connectors. Did you accidently unplug your other speakers' rca's and use them for the sub?

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • christyles
    edited December 2004
    Options
    hey polkthug,

rca's for speakers are intact, never touched 'em. running two front 5 1/2 speakers off of my head unit. subwoofer hooked to amp to 4volt preout. also tried to hook different speaker up to see if it would work but no luck, no power at all to speakers it seems. getting only bass sound from sub, it's not acting as a speaker. still baffled,

chris
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I think you should confirm that there's no sound from your head unit, sound strange that the internal amp is not working the front 5 1/4" speakers.

First with power off, remove the signal to sub amp to see if the fronts are not just being over powered by the sub (masking the front 5 1/4"s)

Still nothing check all settings in the radio, and or all power to radio head.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• christyles
    edited December 2004
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions guys,

all connections are good and the deck settings are fine. the only thing i can think of is that something internal in the deck is fried. i'm gonna drive to a buds and try another deck with it to see if it works, if so looks like i'll be out the price of a new head unit :(. let ya know if it works.,

chris
  • christyles
    edited December 2004
    Options
    well took the head unit to store and plugged it in to their board and it works fine. this is messed up, the mystery conitnues.....

chris
  • christyles
    edited December 2004
    Options
    to add even more mystery,

there is power to the speakers! speakers aren't processing wat's given to them and turning it into sound, gotta date in a couple hours to get a pro to look at it, we'll see if it was worth the cash.,

chris
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Probably a wire touching something it shouldn't. Let us know how it turns out.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by christyles
    to add even more mystery,

there is power to the speakers! speakers aren't processing wat's given to them and turning it into sound, gotta date in a couple hours to get a pro to look at it, we'll see if it was worth the cash.,

chris

Ok, I'm thinking that your stereo is bi-amp'd output so the negative wire and the positive wire floats above ground.

So if you connected the Sub amp to the speaker output of the radio then this is your problem, but if you did this I think it fried your amp chip up. Seen this to many times before when grounding the neg side of the speaker output.

If you hooked up your sub amp via RCA outputs then I not sure what’s wrong with you radio. You stated that the speakers have power but no sound, power do you mean the speaker is pushed out or pulled in? If so the output chip is fried, must have grounded the speaker somehow.

The radio can be fixed but it may cost like $65-95.00 so a new radio maybe better then repairing your radio.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by disneyjoe7
    Ok, I'm thinking that your stereo is bi-amp'd output so the negative wire and the positive wire floats above ground.

So if you connected the Sub amp to the speaker output of the radio then this is your problem, but if you did this I think it fried your amp chip up. Seen this to many times before when grounding the neg side of the speaker output.

If you hooked up your sub amp via RCA outputs then I not sure what’s wrong with you radio. You stated that the speakers have power but no sound, power do you mean the speaker is pushed out or pulled in? If so the output chip is fried, must have grounded the speaker somehow.

The radio can be fixed but it may cost like $65-95.00 so a new radio maybe better then repairing your radio.
    He said he took it back to the store and they hooked it up and it worked fine...so doubtful any damage was done...
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Ok, but I still think that he hookup the sub amp with the speaker output from the radio. If so this is what wrong.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• christyles
    edited December 2004
    Options
    okay just got back from the installers and the guy only had an hour. i stated that the rear speakers were not connected and as it turns out that was the problem, the leads to the rear speakers were hanging loose and were grounding out. great so now the speakers work.. BUT, dumb **** did something and now i gotta figure out why my speakers are working my but my sub isn't working, i'm thinking just a loose remote wire problem but it will be dealt with. let ya know when all is going wel. Thanks to all for suggestions and support as I did try every suggestion. thanks,

chris