Signs

Options
2»

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Unless the Director has a secret hint somewhere for this movie, if it's only about faith, on the scale of 0 - 10, this one is about 4.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Minor Spoilers To Follow - No Major Giveaways.

Well, maybe I didn't explain it that well. Clearly, the main point of the movie was to 1) occasionally scare the bejeezus out of the viewer with superb dramatic tension and making the most of showing less instead of more; and 2) show the journey of a man losing, questioning, and ultimately regaining his faith.

It was no ID4, that's for sure - that aspect of the movie IMHO was simply functioning as the catalyst and the vehicle for his whole faith journey. I think MNS intentionally made the details of the outside world sketchy at best - in order to stay focused on the man and his dilemma, not the supposedly greater outside conflict.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • PETERNG
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec

1.Well, maybe I didn't explain it that well. Clearly, the main point of the movie was to 1) occasionally scare the bejeezus out of the viewer with superb dramatic tension and making the most of showing less instead of more; and 2) show the journey of a man losing, questioning, and ultimately regaining his faith.

2.It was no ID4, that's for sure - that aspect of the movie IMHO was simply functioning as the catalyst and the vehicle for his whole faith journey. I think MNS intentionally made the details of the outside world sketchy at best - in order to stay focused on the man and his dilemma, not the supposedly greater outside conflict.

1. I AGREE...STILL, THIS ONE DOES NOT SCARE ME...

2. GOOD POINT, BUT I THINK SINCE HE DID SO WELL ON THE "SIXTH SENSE", I JUST CAN LOWER MY EXPECTATION.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that Mel is directing a new movie, shooting has already begun with the lead character (from the recent 'The Count of Monte Cristo', not sure of his name) playing Jesus Christ. The movie will mainly focus on the last 12 hours of Christ's life and His crucifixion.

Working title is said to be 'Passion'.

That's all that was said. I did some searching and found nothing on the movie. Sounds like it could be very good, if done right and Mel follow's the Bible.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Here's a little more info on the movie I just found.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=30497

If...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Watched Signs tonight. i did like it, alot in fact. The director like he said.. was trying to bring back the lost art of past directors whereby allowing the audience to let their minds figure out what was going on, when you could only hear sounds. I find this way of story telling very effective. I don't always need or want to see someone die.. if done in a creative way.. it has more impact to the viewer then watching someone take a knife to the chest 25 times. Leave something to the imagination of the viewer, and it makes for a pretty good film in my opinion.

I only rented it.. but i know it'll be one that i buy on payday.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My wife is a Gibson fan. I bought this DVD for her. I feel it was an incredible waste of money. Unfortuneatly, it was my money. Tension? "Alien". "Signs" was a girlie type feel good movie.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I had 6 neighbor's over Saturday night for dinner and 'Signs'. It was a blast, 2 of the 3 girls screamed (loud) at several scenes and the third just covered her eyes or turned away. One of the guys jumped a few times as well. Nothing more fun then having 30+ year old women screaming like teenagers. One of the most well done film's I've seen in a long time, very effective in the creepy/suspense department.

If...
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Right on Ron-P i couldn't agree more. I really enjoyed the part where they boarded up the house... very good and effective suspense.

Guess this is turning out to be one of those hate it or like it type movies. Much like Moulin Rouge turned out. I hated Moulin Rouge.
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You'll get flamed for sure.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2003
    Options
    jbowl done. thanks for the heads up
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I hated Moulin Rouge.
    I disliked it sooo much - I did not even watch it.
    But for the guys that ARE in touch with there "softer" sides.
    Following MR coat tail is Chicago. A "fairy" fest for sure.
    Sorry Ron:D
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well then, I am WAY in touch. I loved Moulin Rouge. At least I'm only 16% ****, must be because of Moulin Rouge.

If...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm not telling what % I was. But I do fool around with the Green Fairy.:D
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Damn, I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of the 'real' stuff and try it. What I could find was extremely expensive.

BTW Scott, 46% isn't too **** :lol:

If...
  • PETERNG
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I paid $25 for both Signs and Unbreakable, I like the Unbreakable better. Still thinking I'm paying too much.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Unbreakable is the best of the 3 from M.Night. Excellent film.

If...