Signs

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited January 2003 in Music & Movies
Signs

Looks Intriguing. Most likely I'll wait for the DVD. But, if it is anything like Unbreakable, it'll be good. At least it does not look like it has anything in common with the "I see dead people movie".

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    yeah, i've saw the trailer in theater's and got pretty excited about this moive. it looks promising...

i too agree that unbreakable was a much better movie than that 'i see dead people movie'...
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Anyone see it? I'm picking the DVD tomorrow, it'll be a blind purchase but I've heard many good things about it.

If...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I saw the movie, I don't hink it's that great. It started off pretty convincing, but later on, the script became a bit too farfetched, with the ending somewhat anti climax.....and I am one of those guys that think patriot was great (nothing like braveheart, though) ...my 2 cents
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • JSK2003
    JSK2003 Posts: 28
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I haven't seen it yet but I am planning on picking it up on Tuesday when it's released on DVD. Best Buy is advertising it for $14.99.

-JSK
    My setup :

Anthem AVM20
    ATI-1505
    Sony DVP-NC650V 5-disc DVD/SACD
    Microsoft XBox
    Polk RM-7200 Theater System
    Polk PSW-550 Subwoofer
    Bettercables Silver Serpent interconnects
    Monster Cable speaker wire
    56" Panasonic HDTV
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Saw it at the theater, not to bad, but I would recommend a rental first.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Wow! dug this one up. Had huge hopes for M. Night. Unbreakable was a big let down. Also he does not pay enough attention to A/V quality. Mixed reviews on Signs. Was excited. Heard that is was very suspenceful to the point of bordom and waiting for the big finish - and - and - has been said that it is the worst ending to a movie ever. Anyway - this will be a rental.
    As long as M. Night keeps breaking that 100 mill barrier at the box office the movies will keep a rolling - I hope they get better.
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I really liked it. But than I've liked all of M. Night's stuff.

If you treat it as an action flick, you'll be disappointed. It's more of a thinking movie. Man loses faith, regains faith. Feel good kinda stuff.

The little girl is great. She has a line something like

"There's a monster outside my window can I have a drink of a water?

All run together spoken with no emotion, funny.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm picking it up. scottvamp sold me. He hated Unbreakable (like most people) so I think I will love this movie.:)

Seriously though I loved Unbreakable, so for me this is a must buy....well that and the fact that I have 200+ dollars in X-mas money (gift certificates) to spend at Best Buy.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I thought it sucked..the trailers make it look good but it was a big disappointment for me
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm in the did not care for The Sixth Sense, but loved Unbreakable camp so I'll pick it up.

If...
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Regarding "Signs", the icon above represents my opinion.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    blah
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Mx - you probably just SPOILED the movie for alot of people. A$$!!!
    Can someone please teach Mx proper "spoiler" etitquite??
    Freaking Rookie!!!!!!
    Wow!!!!!:supermad:
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Mx - you probably just SPOILED the movie for alot of people. A$$!!!

No ****.

Shep
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    God, WHAT AN ****. Thank God I saw Scott's post in the screen and DID NOT READ Sid's post.

Hello, McFly???? Don't DO that **** again. Sheesh.

I thought Unbreakable was pretty damn cool, and 6th Sense was worth the watch at least. I've bought Unbreakable, only seen 6th Sense once, in theater.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Very disappointing ending.

I find Shaylaman's (or whatever the his name is) movies- not very enjoyable on repeat viewings. Good for a rental.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    BB is selling Signs and The 6th Sense original single disc version for $25 as a combo purchase. They also have Band of Bros for $75.

We had gift certificates for CC from x-mas, so we went in for a price match. They were out of single disc The 6th Sense, but they did have the $30 Vista Series 2-disc ultimate DD/DTS version of The 6th Sense in stock. I bitched - and won.

So I got Signs, The 6th Sense 2 disc Vista Series, and BOB for less than $100 - a pretty good score.

FWIW, I did not like Unbreakable, but did like 6th Sense. I have never seen Signs, but the woman wanted it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Excellent choice on getting Band of Brothers. I'm saving up for that one. I think it is the best WW II movie to date.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yeah, like SPR only 10 hours worth, which allws for even better character development.

A truly amazing accomplishment and yes - a pinnacle in terms of war movies. I can't imagine it being exceeded, but we can only hope!

CC says they can't keep it in stock for more than a few hours, even at $90.

SVS
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok I just got done watching this and I have to say the transfer to DVD was superb. I am not one to watch horror films but there are some scenes that just plain scared the piss out of me. :eek:

I also thought the musical score was excellent. Not a lot of sub involvement, but your rear surrounds get one hell of a workout. I did not see anything wrong with the ending. Unless you are expecting Independence Day I just don't know how else you could end it.

I highly enjoyed it, and can't wait to watch it again. Well worth the purchase. (I also got the BB deal with the "Dead people movie", my wife liked it, so picking it up for nine bucks instead of 22 was a big savings)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Just watched it tonight. Agreed - some scenes had us clenching our hands in fright - excellent use of tension.

Video transfer excellent.

This was probably one of the best sounding Dolby Digital 5.1 scores I have heard - bravo. Voices seemed to float in front of the TV and were very rich sounding. Surround channel use and detail level was very impressive.

The LFE track is fabulous with articulation and detail - there is a subtle undercurrent of very deep bass through most of the movie that really lends to the creepiness. There are a few scenes with strong bass that dip into subsonic range - ear pressure but not audible and the couch was slowly vibrating.

SVS
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm with you Dr. Spec great sound track.....You could hear the aliens move around the house.....music ties in very well with the scarier scenes.....best use of music, visual working together in a movie in a long time.
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • JSK2003
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I just finished watching Signs and I agree with a few of the above posts. This is definately one to watch at night with the lights off. :)

Overall I really liked this movie. It kept me anticipating each and every scene. There was great use of audio and the video was fantastic as well. I also felt that the director did a fantastic job keeping the story moving forward while not wandering far from the main storyline.

-JSK
    My setup :

Anthem AVM20
    ATI-1505
    Microsoft XBox
    Polk PSW-550 Subwoofer
    56" Panasonic HDTV
  • jeff biggs
    jeff biggs Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I thought that Signs was one of the most well mixed movies that i've heard in a long time. His use of ambient noise in the surrounds is part of the reason his movies are so suspenseful. He seems to take a lot of care not to overuse or load the rears with useless information. When something shows up in the surrounds it seems to have a reason to be there. To me this seems to be the correct way to utilize 5.1. Most movies now days are an exercise in sensory overload, if you are bombarded with enough sound and imagery, you forget how crappy most stories are. I think that Night is a great storyteller and I for one am glad that He understands that his movies don't have to saturate your theater with sound to get his point across.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Very well made movie, really enjoyed it. Got creeped out a few times. Not as creepy as The Others, but close.

Did anyone notice. The scene in the house where the camera was focused on the fireplace. To the left, as the camera zoomed in, there was some fairly noticable digital artifacting on the red wall.

If...
  • MAP1911
    MAP1911 Posts: 34
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I bought the DVD on Saturday based upon everyone's posts. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just one complaint, what kind of a farmer doesn’t own a gun, regardless of their religious beliefs.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MAP1911
    Just one complaint, what kind of a farmer doesn’t own a gun, regardless of their religious beliefs.

Minor Spoilers To Follow - Nothing Major About Plot

No **** - that crossed my mind about 300 times during the movie- a little anti-gun bias sneaking in here. Like NO ONE - ANYWHERE had any firearms? This was Small Town USA for chrissakes. What about the friggin' military?

Yeah, I know, the story wouldn't have been the same if he just walked up and cut loose with a load of #00 buck, but c'mon!

This story wasn't even about the "you know what's", it was about the loss and subsequent recovery of faith after a trial by fire.

SVS
  • JSK2003
    edited January 2003
    Options
    As someone who grew up in a similar setting as the movie all I can say is this. Hunting was a way of life growing up.

-JSK
    My setup :

Anthem AVM20
    ATI-1505
    Microsoft XBox
    Polk PSW-550 Subwoofer
    56" Panasonic HDTV
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited January 2003
    Options
    After finally watching Attack of the Clones it reminded me of my initial thoughts after seeing Signs in the theater last summer. I went in to the movie a fan of Shymalan because of Unbreakable, and ended up seeing Signs twice in the theater I liked it so much.

Some Spoilers - Signs vs. Lucas
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by JSK2003
    As someone who grew up in a similar setting as the movie all I can say is this. Hunting was a way of life growing up.

-JSK

Let's be even broader in this category. Owning firearms is a way of life in rural towns, and not just for hunting.

I don't know of one farmer who doesn't own a shotgun, a rifle, and a sidearm for hunting, varmint control, putting down injured or sick animals, and defense of property and life.

SVS