The Install

124»

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    Do a paint/plexi/vinyl combo. If you look at most high-end installs, there is little to no D/P. The MTX S10 is one of the exceptions.
    Yeah, but Mac isn't like most other boys...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2005
    i dont have any terminals in mine, i drilled a hole, stuck the power wire through, glued it up:)

Mac, that airspace is perfect for an IDQ. If you havent heard one of these, youll be utterly amazed by its sound quality. Bad thing is i know you hate to wait and its on factory back order, but i would certainly call them and ask. You can probably even get it cheaper than the $160. If youre serious about it, let me know and ill look around for sites that have it cheaper, that way sounddomain can price match:D
    Honestly, if it wasnt for the back order and how i know you hate waiting, id **** slap you if you didnt get this sub.:p
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ10D2V2
    Theres no doubt in my mind that if i wanted a sub that fits your needs, id get the idq in a second
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2005
    LOL!!

Im way ahead of ya my brother.

The IDQ10 is already on my short list.

Others that would fit the bill are

Orion P10: .4 box but needs upwards of 500 watts. Im in the 350-400 range

Crossfire BMF: .4 box and handles 400

The problem with these are theyre SPL subs. They still sound pretty good but Im wanting a SQ sub.

Thats really all I could find that would work in that box with that power.

The IDQ 10 is only rated at 250 but I emailed the ID Tech Support and told him Id be giving it nearly 400 watts. His reply was "you need not worry; itll handle it".

I still want the MM2104 and Ive thought about pollyfillin' the hell out of the box but I think that much fill would just muck up the sound.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • denim
    denim Posts: 79
    edited June 2005
    install looks to be coming along great,

if your looking at the IDQv2 maybe look into the IDv3, I feel it is a great sub for the money
  • exalted512
    edited June 2005
    Have you heard that crossfire before? I heard it sealed and didnt really like it. the box was .55ft^3. not a bad sub, but just not in the same league as the idq. btw, sd is having a 10-15% off sale in june
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    I looked at the V3 but dont mind shelling out an extra $40 for the IDQ.

Ive never heard a Crossfire sub. Just read some reviews one em.

They all said about the same as you. "Hits real hard and sounds ok for a SPL sub."

I think its just going to be hard to beat the IDQ. My only gripe is the 250 watt power handling. Id like a 400 watt sub.

Id love to have an IDMAX. Oh, how Id love that!! Get a truck tool box and forget about any storage inside the truck and build the 1 ft^3 box for it. Id also have to get a 1000 watt amp too. The Crossfire VR1000D for $500 should do the trick!!

My little plan of using vinyl tiles to cover the outside of the box isnt going to work. I could get them on there but it would look like ****.

I guess Ill have no choice but to carpet it. I may break down and have a shop do it for me. Ive tried carpeting the last 2 boxes I made. Wasnt pretty.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod

I guess Ill have no choice but to carpet it. I may break down and have a shop do it for me. Ive tried carpeting the last 2 boxes I made. Wasnt pretty.
    I just idd my first carpet job today... on my trunk floor... it looks hella good for my first attempt.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    I was getting sick of having lousy imaging so I decided to play around with tweeter placement some.

My first spot was in the stock locations. In the dash and firing up into the windshield. The imaging wasnt any better and it sounded like crap.

Next spot was at the bottom of the A pillars firing towards the spot between the middle of the seats. This had the best imaging. The center was finally in front of me and the left was to the left side of the truck. The right tho was aaaallllllll the way over on the other door. But the biggest thing was it sounded like crap. To much glass and it made heavy guitars very harsh.

I tired halfway up on the A pillars but had the same effect as at the bottom but with a higher stage. Still sounded like crap.

So theyre back in the sail panels. My imaging still sucks with the center and left virtually on top of each other but the sound quality is 10 times better.

Oh well, I may have to look into kicks.

• exalted512
    edited June 2005
    have you tried putting the tweeter at -3dB when u had it up in the a-pillars? for me that was the best. I tried putting the tweeters in the kicks and in just sounded very low, like around belly level
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    I didnt mess with the tweeters gain on the amp. Its already set higher than the mids due to my configuration. Since my mids are running full range I have me treble on the h/u set at -4 and centered on 10K Hz to take some of the harshness out and so I have my tweets gain a smidge higher.

I kinda figured it would be this way. Glass and high frequencies dont tend to mix too well.

Ive not heard too many systems using kicks but a lot of SQ competitors use em with nothing mounted higher and they seem to do well. I dunno, Im not thrilled about kicks as Ill have to have em custom made to fit my big **** MM6's and itll take me leg stretchin' room.

• exalted512
    edited June 2005
    but most sq installs are in cars where the kicks arent that far from your head...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    With a fullsize truck I think youre screwed no matter where you put your stuff.

I was thinking of putting the mids in front of the front seats. This is almost the perfect distance but there just isnt room to fabricate a mounting spot there.

• exalted512
    edited June 2005
    you should buy a ford festiva, i bet you could get great SQ in one of those
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2005
    And you could just tow it behind your Dodge.....so you could still actually enjoy driving! lol
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    LOL!! Thats about right. There is a reason that all the great SQ cars are tiny. Bigg's regal is one of the few exceptions but that car is light years away from being stock so much that its ridiculous.

I guess I can live with excellent sound quality, excellent stage height and half assed imaging but a V8 and plenty of interior stretchin' out room! ;)

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2005
    having tried tweeter-integrated kicks (in a small car), i found that the stage was way way too low for my liking... great imaging and all that, but the plane of sound was at about my solar plexus, maybe three inches behind the instrument panel. bleh.

solution: move the tweeters back to the dash, aim them better, and get a headunit with time alignment. then, of course, i discovered that pioneer's TA does other things to the sound that make it icky; it sure doesn't sound like just a delay (that is, with all the distances set to zero, it should sound identical to TA OFF, but it doesn't). so i have an inquiry email into pioneer now, we'll see what they say...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    so i have an inquiry email into pioneer now, we'll see what they say...

That should be interesting. What Pioneer HU do/did you have? I guess the TA and such would be the same on my 860MP.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2005
    Right now my stage is about perfect. Its just a tad below eye level and extends to the windshield so Im happy with that.

The only thing I need to fix is to properly locate the left, and right and especially the center which is to the left of where it should be.

I tried them on the dash aimed several different ways and I did get better imaging but the SQ wasnt nearly as good and smooth as with them mounted in the sails.

And time alignment is cheating! ;)

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited June 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    That should be interesting. What Pioneer HU do/did you have? I guess the TA and such would be the same on my 860MP.

I belive he has the same one.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Well I think Im done, at least for now. Ive been experimenting for months now with tweeter positions trying to get good imaging AND SQ and I think Ive finally got it.

My final positions are the left tweeter is turned in as far as it can go, pretty much firing at the middle of the pasenger window. Its also aimed slightly up partly due to the angle of the a pillar and also to get over the instrument panel's hump in the dash. The right tweeter is turned in and firing basically at the left corner of the windshield, just passed the left tweeter. I had to do this because since the left tweet was so far off axis the right one was overpowering it pretty bad and everything was coming from the right.

This final setting, so far from the CD's Ive been listening to, seems to be as good as I can get. My left and right are at the left and right a pillars and the center is just to the left of the middle of the dash which is pretty good considering where my mids are located.

Stage height is almost perfect at just a tad below eye level. Depth isnt that bad, it doesnt extend beyond the windshield but it doesnt seem shallow either.

I still have a bit of reflection from the windshield **** with my SQ a little but its only really evident with heavy metal.

All and all, I am now ready to enter the competiton scene. Finally and only a year later than Id planned and it doesnt matter anyway as the competition season is now over. Boy do I have timing or what? :rolleyes:

• audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    Hehe. Only a year late.

Congrats on gettin' how ya want it - for now, lol.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]