Monitor 7B score

2»

Comments

• RayChuang
    RayChuang Posts: 16
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    The Original Monitor 7 is a giant slayer. I don't know which model you own exactly, but it's a good series to keep, not sell.

I have the 7B, since I just checked the serial number on the speakers. :)

Actually, I'm thinking of setting up a surround-sound setup with the RTA-11t's as the left front and right front speakers and the Monitor 7B's as the rear speakers. Any suggestions for a Polk center speaker and subwoofer in this setup? :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2004
    Subwoofer? Generic. The only subwoofer I would personally pick up from Polk would be a PSW505(New) or a PSW1200(Old). The rest are non-threatening. HSU and SVS are some real popular brands here and elsewhere for subwoofer duty.

Center channel? Ugh, tough call. A single SDA CRS(+) would be perfect, a pair even better. They aren't common however, and a center channel suggestion for the RTA series, I'll leave for another Polkie.

You have a later version, not as extraordinary, but still a great speaker nonetheless. Don't sell them, pass them on.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2004
    what distinguishes a Monitor 7 from a 7B, 7C ?

is the difference only slight? I love my 7B's to death. my grills don't look like anyone elses that i've seen. But i'm sure they are pretty common for a 7B.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2004
    Check the parts list by model-> http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

You can see some differences in what drivers were use depending on the different revisions. This was pretty much the case with all of Polks "A,b,c,series 2" numbering.

And, from what I see, the farther in the alphabet you go, the newer the speaker is, with Series 2 being the newest. I was very surprised to find that my Monitor 10 Series 2 speakers were made in 1991! I thought that they would've been older than that, but I must've gotten some of the last of the last of the 10's.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited December 2004
    I bought my Series 2 Monitor 4's in '92, they have a '92 date IIRC (been awhile since I had 'em apart). I seem to recall them being around at least one more year after that....

One of these days I'll get to ordering new grills for them, I always listened and mixed on them with the grills off, and got lazy leaving the grills off, leading the grills to become dog toys... :eek:

TP
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited December 2004
    B3Nut, check your PM's

Dave
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by B3Nut
    I can't afford SRS's...I'd LOVE 'em if I could though. My wife would strangle me if I dragged SRS's into the living room! :D:D:D

Todd in Beerbratistan, digging George Benson, Miles Davis, and Dave Brubeck on his 7B's

Todd,

Here's a forum member in Indiana with 2Bs

Indiana 2Bs

Mike