Monitor 7B score

Options
B3Nut
B3Nut Posts: 76
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Heya,

I scored a nice pair of Monitor 7B's tonight from a friend for $60. They're in really nice shape except for a busted neg post on one speaker, there's a bare wire soldered to the stub. No biggie, plays fine...I'll look for a replacement part later. The drivers are well-nigh perfect and the cabinets are nice, with just a few nicks in the vinyl. The tweets are the holey-Peerless tweets...my gosh are they ever nice.

Conected to my Luxman M-02 power amp, they throw one of the nicest soundstages I've ever had in my house. The top is silky smooth, no harshess at all...open mids without any honk, and amazing bass extension. So far I've thrown jazz, celtic, and George Winston at them and I'm amazed. No wonder these have a rep as one of Polk's all-time greats...now I know why. Keepers IMHO...I'm geeked. :D A heck of a toe-tapping speaker...I was sitting in my sweet spot with a big grin. :)

Todd in Beerbratistan
Post edited by B3Nut on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Todd, nice to see over here and congrats on your buy. I've got a bunch of spare Polk binding posts, so if you want one let me know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Thanks a bunch, I'll let ya know when I'm ready to nab one. Boy, these things are just growing on me. Killer mate to my Luxman electronics, too...so smooth and listenable. I could stay up all night listening to this...that would go over like a lead balloon though. :D Got Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" on now, the newest Columbia reissue, remastered with the old 3-track Presto machines like Columbia used back in the day. Classis jazz...and the 7's sure deliver the goods with it...I'm lovin' it. :)

TP
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Ok, let me know, it's free.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Options
    You think they deliver now, get them on some factory stands (or suitable replacements), angled back so they are time aligned.

Like F1 said, nice to see you on this side of the fence! The grass may not be greener, but it does taste different.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Great score, post more.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2004
    Options
    B3Nut,

welcome to club Polk !

I too love my Monitor 7b's. one of the best sounding speakers i've ever heard and owned. They just do everything well for 2 channel listening.

Oh yeah. congrats on a good score. $60. nice catch bud
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    You think they deliver now, get them on some factory stands (or suitable replacements), angled back so they are time aligned.

Like F1 said, nice to see you on this side of the fence! The grass may not be greener, but it does taste different.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hehehe...I like the taste of the grass here. :D I've had Monitor 4 Series 2 since '92, got 'em new. Love 'em. Got a set of 6.5's in my car, I think they were the db series, nice 1" silk dome tweet. I've always liked Polks...the friend I got these 7B's from has a pair of 5's he'll let me have for $30, prolly gonna nab em. I'd be nuts not to I think....

TP
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Yeah, get the 5's too. If nothing else, sell them to someone here on the forum who has not been fortunate enough to here some vintage Polks.

Enjoy your "new" find.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hi B3nut,

I don't know which esoteric fence you've vaulted, but I'm glad you had a safe landing. ;)

Congrats on the vintage Polk snag - great looking and sounding speakers, indeed.

BTW - are you perhaps a Hammond B3 nut? B3's, guitars, and now this #!@*^ audio gear are my active diseases. No cure in sight.

Mike
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I am indeed a B-3, keys, bass, and guitar player. I'm sick too. :D I do a little remote session work for a jingle studio I used to work for in MI...I get a cue mix, lay down B-3 in Sonar, then export the .wav and ftp it back to him. Going to get back into home recording more heavily....and use my trusty Monitor 4's as nearfields again. :)

Yeah, it's a sickness indeed. B-3 and Leslie in the foyer/music room...L-100 in the dining room...hi-fi in the living room...yoiks.... :)

TP
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    LOL!

I'm down to only one B3 Leslie combo at the moment ('56 B3 and Leslie 122A) - I've owned and played B3's for three decades. There have been times when there were up to 3 Hammond rigs in the house :eek:

Guitars! Ouch.... I have 22 in the vault (or on display) at the moment. I played bass with a west coast style jazz band years ago then switched to lead in a blues combo, now it's just a stress reliever.

Nice, nice, very nice - so many people in the same device....

Take care,

Mike
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Coolness, my B-3 is a '63 that my late great aunt bought new. I've got a jalopy 45 Leslie with 147 amp and 2-speed motor stacks stuffed in it, ugly but sounds pretty good.

I do have some racket at http://theatreorgans.com/b3nut , live cuts with my old B-2 and one home cut with the -3. Some links are dead though, and some stuff is out of date, haven't updated that page in 2.5 years! :D

TP
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Todd! I enjoyed the tunes (especially "Wait a Minnit!") and your L project pics.

We need to hook you up with the seller in Indiana who has the SDA SRS's (B3 music sounds great on them.) We can always use another SDA junkie around here.

Mike
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I can't afford SRS's...I'd LOVE 'em if I could though. My wife would strangle me if I dragged SRS's into the living room! :D:D:D

Todd in Beerbratistan, digging George Benson, Miles Davis, and Dave Brubeck on his 7B's
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Must have left the gate open over at AK... ;)

Congrats Todd... $60 for Mon 7's is a nice haul... and you gotta love those Peerless.

Grab the 5's also. Can't go wrong for $30.

And if you need the space, I'll be happy to store those L100's for you for a decade or two...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Actually, my L-100 is the Hammond L-100 spinet organ, the organ Keith Emerson stabs and tosses around. I wish I had JBL L-100's.. :D I do have Pioneer HPM-100's in my basement cave though....Bart Locanthi's update of the L100 Century design. Similar West-Coast sound, really punchy.

Yeah, someone left the AK gate open. Great places, there and here both.

:)

TP
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nice score on the 7's!

SRS's would be cool however, I'm of the opinion that if you can bag a pair of 2b's.....you are getting a HUGE slice of SDA goodness at a bargain price.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I remember listening to the SDA series back in the day...gosh could they ever throw a soundstage. I'd love a pair of about any SDA speaker. But boy...these 7B's absofreakinglutely sing. Haven't had this kind of treble smoothness since the unfortunate demise of my old Maggie SMG's. Really good bass extension too...they just do so much right. I spent hours yesterday listening to them...digging out stuff I hadn't heard in ages from rock to jazz to classical piano and symphonic works. They handled it all with aplomb, getting out of the way of the music.

TP
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Oh, an organ... Sorry in that case I have to rescind my L100(s) offer.

Yup, 2b's, 1c's, CRS's or 3.1tl's are all more space conscious SDA's that'll fill the bill.

What happened to the Maggie's???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    The Maggies perished in an unfortunate home studio accident. I forgot to disarm the tracks I had been recording acoustic guitar on, the mic preamps were cranked up. I went to play the tracks back through the mains (the Maggies)...I cranked the control room volume on the console up....SQQWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! The tweeter element in one blew to protect the 50-cent fuse. :\ I didn't think one would be rebuildable without being mismatched to the other one, so both would have to be rebuilt...so out they went. :( I brought my old faithful Monitor 4 Series 2's out, and paid much closer attention to armed tracks and open mics after that.... :eek: :rolleyes:

TP
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    The tweeter element in one blew to protect the 50-cent fuse.
    Ouch... I hate it when that happens...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by B3Nut
    I didn't think one would be rebuildable without being mismatched to the other one, so both would have to be rebuilt...so out they went. :(

Did you pull the socks and look at the tweet section. Sometimes what is perceived to be a "blown" tweeter section is simply a matter of the adhesive separating from the mylar - but, the aluminum magnet wire is still intact and can be re-adhered quite easily. I've done this successfully to one in a pair and notice no difference between them.

If the tweeter section wiring is in fact damaged (usually caused by reactance with the adhesive due to ozone - sunlight - rather than over driving), a tweeter repair kit (enough wire, terminals, and ozone protectant to do two speakers) is $49 from Magnepan. I have a pair of MG-1 Improved I'm redoing now. Someone with your talent could easily repair a pair in a weekend. If you stil have your Maggies and think you'd like to repair them, I can do a photo shoot when I do this rebuild if that would help you.
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Crap - I wish I had known about that 3 years ago when it happened...I was still in Michigan and getting ready to move, so I had to leave 'em on the curb, figuring it'd be too expensive to repair them. Dammit. :(

Oh well....

TP
  • B3Nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Woohoo...

Thanks to F1Nut my 7B with the busted post is now fixed! Thanks man, you rock. :D He sent me a replacement post. Got it together this afternoon. Now I can connect them with banana plugs...sweet. :)

Still enjoying them...very nice. Even after having heard a $4100 pair of B&W 805 Signatures....oy oy oy...amazing how well old Polks hang with more expensive speakers. Can't wait to get that really good jazz CD they were playing at the high-end salon when I wandered in...nice place to hear good music to buy. :)

Yeah, I'd love a really high-end pair of speakers...but these'll do me well, besides, I'd rather spend $$ on more music right now.

TP
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Damn, that got there fast! Glad it worked out for you and that you're enjoying them.

President of Club Polk

• RayChuang
    RayChuang Posts: 16
    edited November 2004
    Options
    They're actually fairly good-sounding speakers, though I do have one gripe about them: the deep bass on the Monitor 7B sounds a bit exaggerated and isn't "tight."

I wonder how much can I get for selling the pair? :D
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2004
    Options
    There are not many traditional loudspeakers designed for "deep" bass....welcome to speaker design honcho.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RayChuang
    RayChuang Posts: 16
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    There are not many traditional loudspeakers designed for "deep" bass....welcome to speaker design honcho.

Actually, my brother gave me his old pair of Polk RTA-11t's and the bass on this speaker is a little stronger and definitely a lot "tighter" then the Monitor 7B, especially playing back drums.

I wonder is the RTA-11t considered a collector's item. :)
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Seeing as the Monitor, RTA and SDA lines are out of production, one could call them collector items, but I'd bet the 7B's would sell faster than the 11T's

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm very familiar with the Polk lineup....and the comparison is moot. They are totally different speakers in design and application.

More bass? No ****...more drivers.

The Original Monitor 7 is a giant slayer. I don't know which model you own exactly, but it's a good series to keep, not sell.