Do SL2000T tweeters say "T" on the back?

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
There is a set of 4 tweets I'm interested in. He claims they are the 2000T and it says so on the box.
However on the close up of the back of the tweeter it says SL2000 with the date of manufacture listed as Nov. 1994.

Were the 2000T even around 10 years ago?

I'm thinking someone updated their 2000's for the 2000T's and put the old ones in the new box.

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2004
    The SL2000 and the SL2000T are the same tweeter. The new upgrades are the RD0194-1. I believe BlueMDPicker has 8 original SL2000's for sale in the flea market.

Here they are,

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23740
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Luc,

What does the front side photo reveal? The SL2000 were silver domes, the SL2000T are all silk dome (black). Someone chew my **** out if I'm wrong.

Mike
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    See my post above. The only silk dome SDA/Monitor tweeter before the latest batch of replacements was the SL2500.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2004
    Blue Md picker... you are absolutely right. I've replaced silver-dome SL2000's (original) with the new SL2000T and the new dome is a black fabric.

Once you had black... you don't go back.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Damn it, the new replacement tweeter is called the RD0194-1 not the SL2000T.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2004
    The SL2000 was a butt ugly tweeter. It may have a yellow, silver or gold "tint" to the dome.

Silk is King, buy the new one, your ears will thank you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2004
    The venerable SL2000 dome tweeter that we grew to love and hate was a wonderful little screecher that was made in the USA. :)

In 1994, The SL2000 was replaced by the SL2000T, which was made in Mexico. I purchased two SL2000T's in 1996 to replace two upper tweeters in my SDA 1B's that I had accidentally blown. Members that have been reading me for a while know that I remove the tweeter protection devices from my SDA's).;)

I heard no sonic differences between the SL2000 and the SL2000T. The physical differences between the SL2000 and the SL2000T were:

(1) the voice coil lead wires had a long "Z" shaped section visible on either side of the voice coil,
    (2) the rear of the tweeter said "Made in Mexico",
    (3) The plastic dome ranged in color from clear, to milky white, to gold tinted.

The part number for the SL2000T was RD0103-C.

When the materials for the SL2000T became unavailable, The tweeter was changed from a plastic dome to a silk dome design. The part number for the current silk dome design is RD0194-1.

The RD0194-1 is commonly referred to by SDA enthusiasts, and by certain employees at Polk Audio Customer Service, as the SL2000T because it is the SL2000T's replacement. However, the part description on my RD0194-1 invoices says "Tweeter SL2000" rather than "Tweeter SL2000T".

It might have been better to give the new silk dome reincarnation of the SL2000 some type of letter designation on the end ( like SL2000S-for silk dome) to distinguish it from its predecessors. Plus, "SL2000S" is easier to remember (and order) than "RD0194-1.

Those of us who have been SDA enthusiasts for a while know that Polk does not always follow clear labeling procedures. An example of this is the SDA 1, SDA 1A, SDA 1B, SDA 1C all being labeled as "SDA 1".
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2004
    So, these would sound the same as orig. tweeters, and therefore offer no sonic improvement.

-Luc
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    So, these would sound the same as orig. tweeters,....

Yep.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2004
    Yes.

Thanks DK for posting that information.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    As I stated early on, the SL2000 and the SL2000T are the same.

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    As I stated early on, the SL2000 and the SL2000T are the same.

And the new replacement tweeter is called the RD0194-1 not the SL2000T - damn it. :D
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2004
    I sent an email to Ken Swauger asking if the SL3000 replacement (part number RD0198-1) and SL2000 replacement (part number RD0194-1) had been officially named yet. Ken said that the Polk's purchasing department was responsible for naming parts acquired from outside vendors and that he was not sure of the purchasing department's policy for "naming" parts. Furthermore, as far as he knew, no names had been assigned to the replacement tweeters.

An so, since they really ain't got no name, I'll just refer to mine as the SL2000S and SL3000S("S" is for smooth). :D
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by DarqueKnight
    An so, since they really ain't got no name, I'll just refer to mine as the SL2000S and SL3000S("S" is for smooth). :D

I'm going to call mine NNT-DK-S's
    (No Name Tweeter-DarqueKnight-Smooth)

That is, when I talk to them, which I don't...really I don't...well, maybe sometimes.
    :cool:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    2nd the motion on the "SL2000S" designation... R2D25678, or WETF it is, is too hard to remember.

Hell, it's taken me 2 years to get AI-1 memorized...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD