SDA imaging

soupbone
soupbone Posts: 104
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I just hooked up my old pair of sda 2's from 1984. For some reason I can get more depth out of these and just as much width than my 1.2tl's. The old boys really sound good! In fact, they give the 1.2's a run for their money. What gives? Are the 1.2's so big that they can't get out of their own way? Soupbone
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2002
    Well there is some truth to that, some really like the smaller models, CRS+ 2B 1C, as good or better thean the bigger 2.3 and 1.2.

Sat/sub systems image VERY well because of the very small sat speaker and its small baffle, this is nothing new, small monitors sound great but puke when asked shake the house, every speaker has trade-offs.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2002
    My SDA-SRS do better than the 1.2's for imaging. Same size, same #of drivers etc. I think the xover is different. I bet you could tweak these SDA's to sound like whatever you wanted.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2002
    Soupbone,

How big is your room? What size amp are you using? You are giving your SDA's the minimum daily requirement of 200 watts per channel aren't you?

Naturally, the smaller SDA's will sound better in smallish rooms. If you are placing 1.2TL's in a room where they are 1 to 2 feet from side walls, well...., that's kinda like SDA hell. Those in the know...know.

Speaking of which, Russ, aren't you guilty of once placing a pair of 2.3's jam up against the right side wall? Did your imaging field collapse due to wall reflections? Did a smaller SDA model sound "better" in the same space? How could you stand it?:(
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2002
    I am still guilty of of the Left speaker slammed 1 foot from the left wall. It does some reallt wild stuff to the effect. I do move the speakers away when the wife and kids are not hoem for real listening.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    edited February 2002
    My room is 26'long 15'wide 7'high. The speakers are on the long wall about 7' apart. The amp is an Aragon 2004 100 watts at 8 ohms 200 watts at 4 ohms. Soupbone
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited February 2002
    the larger the speakers, the larger the room for quality of sound. Keep things in proportion. second: the 2's will run more effectively with less power than will the 1.2's...the more power you have on tap for those big ones the deeper, fuller and richer they will sound. Below 200 to 300 wpc amps on those 1.2's and about all you're able to accomplish is get the cones all moving. get into the 300+ wpc area and now you can actuall hear them!