I ready for the fireing squad!

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I come in peace. My posts half the time end up in crazy fun arguments but I do ask intreging questions and points. I am a HT enthuisust and I have spent many years building and planning my HT setups. My dedicated setup I have now cost me about $20,000. It suits me very well for both Music and Movies. I had a blast building it . Not to mention I probably make less than half the money of many Polksters.
NOW I have also got into aurguments with Aaron and we both made our points and sometimes I may be talking out of my A$$.
BUT the System Showcase was a very exciting thing for me.
I figured time to put your "System where your mouth is". With all the for superior knowledge I have heard from people like Russman, Chris(who i agree with alot) and Aaron I have been waiting and ready to see your GOD-LIKE HomeTheater setups.
What is up with that????????!!!!!!!
THIS IS GOING TO HURT. FIRE AT WILL GUYS!!!!!!:eek:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, I was waiting for the nagging to come. :o I've actually taken pictures of my parents home theater and my home theater, but I'm waiting until I get pictures of my home stereo. Look for everything to be posted sometime next week.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited February 2002
    Options
    By the way Scott, no hard feelings about our previous argument.

Aaron
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Aaron, it's cool. Hey, I like this forum. I live in a small town (half white trailer trash) and I have no one to talk to about my HT/Audio interest. It's a great hobbie and I like to hear from people who enjoy too. Thanks for accepting my sarcazm.:D
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yeah, what the hell did I make that showcase for if you aren't going to put your system up!

~JB
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Aaron is afraid to let every one see what he has got for rears....

Troy (throwing stones from the glass house)
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    juice21, *mister 1000 polkman* your on my bugging list for the showcase. Now that you have that awesome sub, time to put your system up. I showed you mine now show me yours. Hee! Hee! :D :eek:
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hey, I'm just trying to give Justin something to do.:D
    I just think that it is strange how same of the heaviest hitters on this forum haven't shown off the systems yet. Someone has to bug you guys. Stirring the pot. HEE! Hee! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Got nothing to post here really, I've sold most of my Polk gear. Mostly B&W, Monitor Audio, Celestion and the like for now.

I am in constant change mode, I'll probably bag some LSi later this year....or maybe some olderr models....

Wasn't a damn thing wrong with em, just like change every couple of years, exposure. (and it allows for some good deals round here, just ask......)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have to respect Andrea not wanting our bedroom on the net. No big deal, but that is where I have my Polks. I think it is a perfectly resonable request. Plus I would be put on the back burner for a while if I didn't honor it. No socks for me thanks.:D
    Chris :)
  • TroyD
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I actually don't have a digital camera or any pictures to scan to be honest (or a scanner for that matter) being a pretty low tech kind of dude.......

More to the point, my HT rig is pretty basic, certainly not in the league of most of the others in the showcase and I don't forsee any drastic changes in it for the forseeable future. The 2ch rig is going to be my main focus for a while.

Troy
  • Aaron
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm not concerned about my rears; I'm a Photoshop master!

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    juice21, *mister 1000 polkman* your on my bugging list for the showcase. Now that you have that awesome sub, time to put your system up. I showed you mine now show me yours. Hee! Hee! :D :eek:

i'll try to get the digital from the office and get some on. i've been too lazy to do it with my canon... ii'll try

and, hey, i never asked to see yours man, keep it to yourself...:p
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for replying. I hope to see some of your systems soon.:)
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm getting my setup to you guys soon, just have to change the grills on my Moniters, they're pretty damn ratty! I too am a master 'a'la photoshop, but I want them to be non-doctored ;)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Scottvamp,

It's a plain fact of life that, generally, those who do the most talking do the least doing.

You spent 20 Grand on your HT? Is that what it takes these days to get a truly satisfying home theater experience? That's around what I spent on my HT, and I consider mine a modest experiment in home theater. :D

I'll be putting some new pics up by the end of March. Been doing a little upgrading/reconfiguring.:cool:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TroyD
    edited February 2002
    Options
    So, unless someone spends what you consider to be an acceptable amount and their rig meets certain specifications AND they just can't wait to show it to everyone.....that makes them unworthy of participation and/or less knowledgeable??? Yeah, ok now I understand.

That's BS man.

Troy
  • Aaron
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yeah, that did come off sounding a little wrong.....

Aaron
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Scottvamp,
    I have been waiting and ready to see your GOD-LIKE HomeTheater setups.
    What exactly is a "GOD-LIKE" home theater setup? I'm trying to get up to that level, but I need some kind of road map and a guide to help me visualize what I want to aspire to. How much do I have to spend to get this "GOD-LIKE" quality.

More importantly, what does such a setup look and sound like? Is it like a 3D interactive hologram with SDA quality sound? Help me out here. I'm sitting by the computer in my mortgage company's offices preparing to take out a 2nd mortgage to finance all of this.

Maybe then I can have my rig featured in a few of the high-class audio-video magazines and reach "national stature".:p

I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT
  • johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Hey man, I spent around 3 grand on mine, not 20 grand, and I think it sounds pretty damn good. I do not believe in the philosphy that the more expensive it is the better, that argument pretty much sucks in my book.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I have spent roughly 8k on The Green Room. She is just about complete. I have no need to spend upwards of 20k. I have a family to support. A daughter who will need a college education and a morgage to pay. I could spend that, but I do not see the need to. But, if I was single, that may be a different story. But hey, if you got the budget, go for it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Guys, it's not your finacial investment, dedication to knowing all specs of current models, knowing that you get .00001 less than anybody else. It's your dedication, opinions, and information that I care about.

When I can borrow a carmera and PC (damn kickstart 95), I'll take pictures of my 10Bs and some other stuff. If nothing else, for referencing, not showcasing. Maybe Justin can use it for the classic library or whatever. I just want to see some 12s, not whips and dirty pillows (Carrie).

I honestly think that for the amount of money you invested, I could invest it and sound and look better. I could be wrong and usually am. But I'm sure you feel the same about me and mine. I hope so. It gives you that edge.

CHILL OUT! I thought this would be a done thread. Make some glue out of that horse. Will ya'!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    raife1, I was just being a smart ****. I was refering to the fact that some of these guys seem to have invested sooo much time and experience in this that it seems they have nothing to show for it. I don't really care, but how can one give sooo much feedback on HT/Audio with Polk products and other equipment that they never even owned are played with. I just like to chat about my hobbie and help people out with my experiences and maybe make some friends. Hope you get the 2nd mortgage - that is how I funded mine.

Anyway why are you guys so stuck on a dollar amount? 20 grand is a drop in the bucket for a good HT rig. I would love to have mine in "those" HT interior mags.--those are 50 grand and up rigs. A top of the line front projector runs about 75 grand alone.
    In my set up you got to remember that a percentage of the price tag was converting an uninsulated garage to a HT room. Peace!

:):)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Scott,

Yeah, I know you were just making a lil' jokey joke. I was just going along with the gag. ;) I was being sarcastic about the 2nd mortgage stuff. I actually am pretty satisfied with the stuff I have. Every 4 to 5 years I will go through an upgrade cycle, if there's anything out there that's worth the trouble of buying and doesn't cost a small fortune. I don't take audio nearly as seriously as some other folks around. It's not even my main hobby. I'd rather make music that listen to it.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    OOOPPPSSS! Miss that one man. Right over my head. Sounded good though.:)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I saw it take so many words to say nothing.

Hitler did a lot of talking, and a reaaal lot of doing. Not much of it was good, but he WAS a busy fellow. THAT, is a plain fact of life. There are countless other good examples of people who have done a lot of talking and a lot of doing. I can't think of any examples of people doing a lot of talking, and very little doing (well maybe Rush Limbaugh and Al Sharpton).

You can spend all the money you want. That is no guarantee you are going to have a LISTENABLE system, be it geared towards audio OR video. You can spend very little money, and come up with a fairly satisfying system, be it geared towards audio OR video.

What STANDARD, are you comparing a system to? This matters. It APPEARS, that for home theater, it can only be compared to the sound system IN your favorite movie theater, or other home theater systems. Unlike AUDIO systems which are generally compared to a LIVE performance by non-electrified or non-amplified musical instruments, home theater is geared towards ATTEMPTING to re-create a VISUAL experience. Unless you are a regular LIVE AND IN PERSON participant in D-Day/Normandy Beach invasions, Saturn 5 rocket lift-offs, train wrecks, solar systems being destroyed, there is no STANDARD you can compare to, and comparisons become meaningless at that point. We all know what those things LOOK like, but very few if any of us know what they SOUND like. No audio standard to compare to just plain sucks don't it? Here's a hint: Shoot for re-creating the one thing you are more familiar with than ANYTHING ELSE. The human voice. If your system is getting THAT right, it MIGHT be able to accurately re-create a few other sonic events. But probably not. Bob Carver used to relate an experience he had:
    He went to visit a mad scientist in his mad scientist laboratory. The guy he was visiting was a HIGHLY REGARDED mad scientist in the field of psycho-acoustics (good field for a psycho to BE in). The boy had TWENTY FOUR 200watt amps ganged up so all their power was available to drive ONE speaker. Maybe two. He was TRYING to reproduce the sound of any ordinary pair of scissors as it does it's scissor-like job. Snipping a piece of paper. "One little snip Vassily, and one snip only please!" It was clear to Bob Carver and the psycho, that when viewed on an oscilloscope, the waveform was being clipped. He didn't have ENOUGH POWER to re-create the snip of a pair of scissors. Excuse me while I laugh my nuts off at the thought of a Saturn 5 rockets roar being reproduced by the average (or ABOVE average) home theater receiver. Now, I don't claim to have the most accurate system in the world, just the best and most accurate loudspeakers I have ever heard. Over the course of 50 years I have heard a "few" loudspeakers. The most I ask my AUDIO ONLY system to do, is reproduce the full heft and weight of a symphony orchestra. With 1,000wpc, I come close. Can I get my amps to clip if I want? Sure. I don't drive them hard enough to do that though. But 100wpc, or 200wpc, or 300wpc amps trying to reproduce D-Day? Accurate? It may be FUN. It may be a GREAT reason for a get together at YOUR house. It may be a fantastic reason to get shitfaced with your pals and gals. But accurate it ain't. The GOOD part is, it was only meant to be fun. Not accurate. If your pants are wet when you're finished listening/watching, it was probably fun. Either that, or you spilled your beer again.

Yes indeed, I have a MODEST home theater system that barely qualifies according to OTHERS definition, or CONCEPT of home theater. It does exactly what I ask it to, which is not much. My AUDIO system, will rock your freakin' world.
    Did I just do a lot talking, and no doing? It's tough to tell from this angle.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
    FZ
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'd like to know why video has to play such a major role in the "showcase".
    Personally I don't see how the size of ones' tv has anything to do with Polk Speakers.
    I would love to see a shot of your "audio only" system George.

-luc
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm exhausted from reading your post. Time for a nap!

John
    No excuses!
  • johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    that was an interesting post.....I don't know how the hell Hitler and ****'s and Al Sharpton got into this thread, but if comparing audio ****'s the the real deal wet's your whistle, whatever! :D
  • TroyD
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Where did you exterpolate that from??? Man, this is gettting to be like a Seinfeld episode.

Man, be careful of what you guys ask for, George keeps sending naked pictures of himself standing by the Amazings to Wendi......I have changed email addy's three times now and am considering moving but he keeps tracking me down.... Be afraid, be VERY afraid

Troy
  • johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    There was another thread where the term audio **** came up. Sounds pretty appropriate to me :p