Half-Life 2!

Options
2»

Comments

• stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Yeh havent played HL2 for a long while ...forgot about new Lost Coast . Time to fire up the old HL2 disk again . :D
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options
    lanion wrote:
    I just booted it back up again to play the Lost Coast. You should certainly give it a try when you are done since its a bit better looking with the dynamic lighting, though you will probobly have to turn off AA to make it playable.

What do you mean by this? I have the graphics cranked.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited November 2005
    Options
    You download the Lost Coast level seperately via steam, and it introduces new lighting technology that was not used in the Half-Life 2 game. The new lighting technology is very impressive but also very hardware intensive. I can run Half Life 2 the game at 1680 x 1050 with no slowdown at all, but the frame rate is noticabely lower with the dynamic lighting enabled. This is on a AMD athlon xp 3000+ with a Geforce 6800GT and 1.5 gigs of ram.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • BrentMcGhee
    BrentMcGhee Posts: 548
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I must say I was a little disapointed with lost coast. I know it was only one section that they took out of the orignial game but i thought it was going to be a lot longer than it was.... like at least take me 30min to beat it. When i played it for the first time last week i died twice (falling off the cliff in the beginign when i was climbing up to the town) and it only took me about 15min to beat it. Very dissaponting. Anyway though the graphics were still incredible even more so than the oringinal hl2 becasue i the dynamic lighting.

I was able to run it with everything all the way up (1920x1200, 16x antistropic filtering, 4xAA and all texture qualities and water reflections set to high with of course dynamic lighting set to on :)) It was just beautiful i was averaging about 63fps the whole time on my my 23" widescreen sony monitor, just simply stunning.

When graphics engines are written as nice as this one is it makes me wonder how anyone could ever play consoles :)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2005
    Options
    What vid card u got Brent?
  • lanion
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Well, if its not Dual 7600s in SLI or something like that, then something is wrong with my system :)
    Yeah, it was short, but I like the commentary a lot. Plus, its a taste of what is to come in the Half Life 2: Aftermath.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • BrentMcGhee
    edited November 2005
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    What vid card u got Brent?

two oc'd 7800gtx's in sli....... i love it
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2005
    Options

Sick.

When is the expansion coming out?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2005
    Options
    When graphics engines are written as nice as this one is it makes me wonder how anyone could ever play consoles :)

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.
  • BrentMcGhee
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    Sick.

When is the expansion coming out?

I dont know either.... does anyone got any info on it
  • malikarshad
    malikarshad Posts: 527
    edited November 2005
    Options
    :cool: WOW Holy Cow that's an awesome configuration. HL2 must be looking stunning on this rig. And i thought that game looked awesome on my 9800 pro
    Mazeroth wrote:
    I played two nights ago from 1am - 7am, and last night from 1am - 6:30am. 11.5 hours in two nights isn't too bad, right? :D
    And that's when you called sick at work :p

Speakers=>Salk Soundscape 8, Soundscape Center,Surrounds-Dali Rubicon LCR, Lsi7
    PreAmp, Amp => Marantz AV8801, ATI 6007 amp, Oppo HA-1 DAC
    Source => Sonore MicroRendu, Oppo BDP-103, Mede8er 600XD, Dune HD Smart D1, Synology DS1813+(16TB)
    Sub - JTR Captivator S2 (Dual 18")
    Power - Furman IT-Ref20i on dedicated 30Amp circuit with Furutech GTX-R outlet
    Screen=> JVC RS-45 projector Da-Lite HP 133" 2.35
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    Options
    two 7800's will do the trick =P

I'm running 9800 as well

Too bad that ati has such an advantage comparted to Nvidia for Hl2....then again call of duty beats out ati...

oh well killer rig indeed

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sorry. Wrong effing game.
  • BrentMcGhee
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Schris22 wrote:
    Too bad that ati has such an advantage comparted to Nvidia for Hl2

Yeah i know :( the hl2 engine was desinged around to catalyst drivers but o well, there are plenty of engines designed for the forceware drivers as well :D

I am looking forward to ati's cross fire to come out though so i can see if that will be a sinker or a floater......
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Brent- crossfire is going to be a sinker. All the benchmarks are abysmal so far. Unless they can really turn things around, it's no faster than a single nVidia based card.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • lanion
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Valve's director of marketing:

"We're working very hard to finish this new episode for HL2, however, it's going to take us a bit more time to get it into top shape. As such, the target release for this one is now Feb/March of next year."

HT:
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited November 2005
    Options
    really according to tomshardware.com (I check there every so often) that it's suppose to be on the same level or higher than Sli.

I'm pretty sure it's a reputable site and all is well but hey I don't dabble too much anymore

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Shizelbs
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Tom's Hardware is a great website. Its amazing the depth they go to on their benchmarks. I check it daily.
  • BrentMcGhee
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I am a frequent visitor of toms hardware as well an many other similar sites... you are right about toms site being very inbiased and trustworthy, however i am almost positive it was on his site that i read about the sli vs crossfire benchmarks for hl2, it could have been another site but i am pretty sure it was toms.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2006
    Options
    OK, I just finished this game and all I have to say is WTF?!?!?! I dont get it?! I didnt play the first game but I couldnt have missed that much. Either Im missing a bunch of stuff or that was the stupidest ending to a game Ive ever seen.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Dude,

There's something called Half Life 2: Aftermath that's coming out. The ending was supposed to lead up to Aftermath.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2006
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    OK, I just finished this game and all I have to say is WTF?!?!?! I dont get it?! I didnt play the first game but I couldnt have missed that much. Either Im missing a bunch of stuff or that was the stupidest ending to a game Ive ever seen.

ya, i have to agree. I was severely disappointed in this ending. The game was "Ok" but nothing great I didn't think. I personally, thought FarCry blew HL2 outta the water. Much more realistic and better graphics.

Oh well.. to each his own.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Dude,

There's something called Half Life 2: Aftermath that's coming out. The ending was supposed to lead up to Aftermath.

OK, cool. Maybe itll make sense then cause right now Im left going "HUH?" :confused:
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I was left going HUH too..
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I was looking at this and others yesterday and need to know if I'd be better off starting out with the original first????

There's a set with three of the earlier versions for only $10. Since I'm not an experienced gamer, would it be advisable to start out with the earlier versions first, to get a feel for the game, before spending $30 for the newest version???

Thanks
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Get the older ones... play it for a little. Even if you dont finish, atleast you'll get a feel for the game and you'll truly truly appreciate the complexity and awe-inspiring gfx of HL2.

Then when the HL2 aftermath comes out... get that too.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2006
    Options
    HL2 is an awesome game. I really enjoyed playing it. It has weapons that are fun to use (unlike Halo's boring **** green bubble shooters) and plenty of things to kill so from that perspective its a top notch game. The story just doesnt make any sense.